Tips for students?

Options
gaw821
gaw821 Posts: 4 Member
Hi! I'm just coming to the end of my 3 year degree and over the last 3 years I have gone from about 144 to 168lbs! In my 2nd year I managed to scrape together for a gym membership and got down to 147 (yay!) but now after my finals I just didn't have time to worry about my weight and it crept back up!
I start my PGCE in september (teacher training) which will be an intensive year...
Does anyone have any tips on how to squeeze in time for exercise when you literally have no time?!
I'm not a big fast food eater but I have a weakness for chocolate!
Any tips would be greatly appreciated =]
Grace x

Replies

• kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    If you want to find the time, you will find the time.

Check out your local gym to see if they have TV on their equipment. Go when your favourite show is on and spend the hour there instead of on the couch.

Download audio lectures to your iPod and listen to them while walking around the neighborhood.

Wake up half an hour earlier and walk/jog/do an exercise DVD.

Use your lunch break.

Bike to classes instead of catching a bus or driving.

Get a group of friends together and schedule a regular time to catch up for a walk/kick the footy/play netball, like you would a dinner or coffee morning.

Reward an hour of study with 10 minutes of exercise. You'll break up the study time AND squeeze in extra minutes of exercise.

There's a start!!
  • twilightfan20
    twilightfan20 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm a student right now going into my senior year next year! With the time scheduling, I think the best thing would probably be to change up the types of snacks and meals you eat if you're not going to be able to work out as much. I started eating more fruits and veggies during my meals, and when I find the time to exercise, the quality and quantity are pretty intense but it's worth it in the end. I'm starting out on a higher end of the weight spectrum, but eating things like strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, yogurt, and jello help with the sweet tooth and provide some good nutrients. I try to eat anything higher in sugar and carbs during the morning time so I'm not eating them late at night when I know I'm most vulnerable to snacking too much.

SW:290
    CW:265
    Mini Goal: 250 by 6/15
    Goal Weight:180
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    There's a workout dvd called 10 minute trainer from Beachbody. I've never used it but heard it's quite good and would be useful if you don't have much time on your side :)

Walking instead of taking the car, or parking a short walk away from where you are going?

Also, with the food you could prepare healthy meals the night before, saves time and means you're less likely to go to a fast food place if you have your own ready made meal with you.
  • nurse_carolyn
    Options
    I was in the same situation as you and now I take my study notes to the gym and study during cardio. It actually passes the time very quickly and I don't feel guilty that I'm at the gym and not studying. When you are at home you'd also be surprized how much muscle conditioning you can do while studying. So instead of just sitting there at your desk stand up (while reading your notes) and do leg lifts, arm curls, etc.... I find that while I am exercising (and studying) it gives me more energy and I also can focus better.
    Hope that helps:)
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I was a very bad college student... in my first year I gained 50 POUNDS. Yes, 50. I went from 165 to 215. I contribute it to late night binge eating after drinking 5-6 times a week (I got involved in Greek Life, which honestly a lot of your time is spent drinking on porches/in driveways during your free time).

So some things I stopped doing.... and it helped.
    1. I stopped drinking beer. Instead I started drinking vodka mixed with crystal light and water. It does the job and it's a LOT less calorie intake.
    2. I stopped going to Wawa (it's a local South Jersey/Delware/Philly quick stop market) because they had delicious, fatty, cheap food. I also stopped eating tons of pizza.
    3. I stopped binge drinking. After the initial "neato" phase of drinking I realized it's not necessary to get completely plastered to have a good time with your friends.

When I did that I went from 215 to about 203 to about 180 and then finally down to 175. (This was back in 2007)

I know a lot of people who did student teaching and were very stressed out. One girl I know gained quite a few pounds when she was doing it because she was constantly eating junk from vending machines, eating late at night when she was doing homework, etc.

My advice would be to premake meals and put them in portioned containers so when you get up in the morning your lunch is ready and you know what you put into it. I usually cook up something that will last me at least 3 days so I know for a fact I will not have to get a snack from the vending machine/restaurant/fast food place.

And lots of fruits and veggies.

I also park further away from campus so I have to walk further to my classes. (It's also free to park on the street as opposed to on campus ^.^)
  • BeautyFromWithin
    BeautyFromWithin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Im also a student. I agree with the person that mentioned she takes her study notes to the gym... when you need to study for a test, bring your materials to the gym. Id work out with highlighted notes until I memorized things I needed to. For my English classes, id bring my book and bike while reading the assignment.

Make a schedule of your busy day, if there's any time in there at all whether its the early am hours or late at night, mark in a slot to go to the gym. That way you can keep it a part of your busy day and not have to worry about always finding time for it.

Please feel free to add my as a friend! I'm here to give motivation and relate to the other students as well as receive some too! :)
  • witzy21
    witzy21 Posts: 7
    Options
    Read in the gym!! This works especially well for things that you can hold easily, like a regular-sized novel or a journal article. I spent 9 hours reading this week and I did 6 of it on the treadmill (2 mph) and on the stationary bike.

Always have a water bottle with you and ALWAYS bring a healthy snack when you leave the house (even if its just a granola bar). This can help you avoid buying other higher calorie drinks or snacks like coffee and cookies.

Don't snack while studying. It is so easy to mindlessly eat while studying and the calories can add up quickly. When it's time to eat, separate yourself from your books and concentrate on your food. This will make you feel more full since you're actually aware of the amount of food you're putting in your body.

Take every opportunity to exercise: this means walking or jogging around on campus for exercise if you have a break, incorporating lunges and squats while looking for items in the library (this looks ridiculous but your *kitten* will thank you over time), lifting books, parking far from campus, etc.

Avoid all-nighters and cramming. This is way easier said than done, and I am actually guilty of violating this right at this moment :/
    Staying up all night is bad since it obviously deprives you of sleep and rest (and therefore can inhibit ideal brain function) but it also means that you are awake much longer and will inevitably get hungry and want to eat something at 3am. Also, it's just plain stressful and has been proven to be way less effective for remembering concepts long term.

When you're studying for long periods of time, stop for a break every hour or so and do 5 minutes of jumping jacks or crazy dancing.

Get a proper back pack with good support if you have a lot to carry, A lot of students are vulnerable to back pain and back injuries. You need a back pack with wide, adjustable straps and cushioning on the straps and backside of the bag. If the straps of the backpack are connected along the top instead of two separate straps, this indicates that the weight of the bag will be distributed more evenly across your shoulders and will put less pressure and weight directly on your lower back.

Try to avoid stress-eating... or you will always be eating! Try different things to manage stress, like hobbies, breathing, exercise, meditation, playing with pets, music, dancing, leisure reading, going for a walk, talking to a friend, etc.

Hope this helps :)