Do I REALLY need a HRM (Heart Rate Monitor)?????

Options

Replies

• rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    Okay, I've lost 45 lbs since mid to late Dec without one. BUT, I really want one and think that it would be very very handy. You will know exactly what you can eat and exactly how much you've burned and what workouts are better and so on and so on....... I am trying to talk myself into splurging on one. I'd suggest it if you can afford it and want one. If not, just work your body hard. You do know your body better than anyone, so you know if you got a good workout. Like right now, sweat is pouring from my body because Jillian Michaels is a sadistic maniac. lol!!! Good luck
  • TiDinzeo
    TiDinzeo Posts: 309
    Options
    You don't need one, but a HRM with a chest strap is more accurate than the one on most gym equipment or the calories burned value on MFP. I got one because there are workouts I do that aren't included on MFP and I wanted to make sure I was being accurate with my exercise.

I use a Polar FT4 which comes with a chest strap.
  • patssarah
    patssarah Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    At this point in time I will not get one and I'll tell you why. I don't my exercise to be about burning calories. I want to focus on making my heart stronger, replacing lost muscle, increasing my stamina and moving in such a way as to feel great about myself.

I know myself, if I get a HRM it will become all about burning the calories and I will become obsessive about it (this coming from a woman who sadly weighs herself 5-10 times a day).

So I personally don't feel that I need one at this time. I reserve the right to change my mind... but for now, I honestly feel that getting one would cause more harm than good for ME.

While I agree that working out should be about overall fitness, not just calories and weight I think you should reconsider using a HRM if you want to see how your heart is doing.

I use one to see my recovery times and I love to see how stronger it's gotten over the past few months.
    The HRM does a great job of telling me if I'm working my heart at max capacity, when to slow down, when to speed up, and how long it goes back to normal after an intense workout. I don't really care about calories either, but my workouts allow me to burn between 800-1400 per 45 minutes, so I can't complain. But I went from having a resting heart rate of 110 (working hard just to lay in bed) to 53 (athletic level).
    I say it's an amazing investment if you are looking into overall fitness. I love science and technology. So far I've found the right exercise program (Crossfit) for me, and with the right tools (Google Calendar, HRM with chest strap, OMRON Fat Loss Monitor) it's easier for me to log what I'm doing and better predict my results. It takes the guessing out it when you monitor your work better.
    And it's nice to see the accurate calorie count at the end as well.

This is a very good point too! I have recently started running in intervals, and it is a necessity for me to be able to monitor my actual heart rate, so I spend the correct amount of time in the different zones
  • Navie42
    Navie42 Posts: 152
    Options
    I say push yourself each and every time you workout, then you don't need a watch to tell you how hard you're working ^_^
  • reddcat
    reddcat Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    For me, I really love having one. I just got it yesterday (Polar FT7) and have worked out a couple times to see what it reads. It gives me peace of mind. I know the theory about eating back your exercise calories...but was always reluctant to do so because I did not know what I was really burning. Now, I am more confident to do so.
  • Tracy184
    Tracy184 Posts: 74
    Options
    I bought a Polar FT4 for about $78 on Amazon, and I absolutely love it. MFP's estimates are off by over 100 calories in comparison, especially when I enter things like Zumba or a combination of cardio and weights. No, you don't absolutely need one, but I really recommend one (and one with a chest strap, or there's no point). I don't check the calories during my workout, but I love how it tells me when I'm in the fatburning zone. I discovered that when I'm really pushing myself on the elliptical, my heart rate is too high, so there's no reason to make myself feel so miserable. And I find that I work out longer this way. Instead of just leaving the gym, I'll do a few more things, just for the reward of seeing my calories burned at the end.
  • Luthorcrow
    Luthorcrow Posts: 193
    Options
    No you do not need one. There are a nice to have. Also I think the whole concept of using one to stay in the supposed "fat burning zone" is wrong headed. It's fine to work at a low intensity, the supposed fat burning zone is very low intensity, if you are just starting an exercise program but keep in mind it is not the best way to workout but rather training wheels for starters.

After you have reached a basic level of fitness, your goal should always be geared towards performance and pushing yourself. I am not suggesting everyone should workout like an professional athlete but you should be pushing your personal level.

Also keep in mind that once you do reach a good level of fitness and are training harder you will have to plan for periodization. you can't train for 52 weeks a year without over training. You will have to schedule days or in some cases weeks of rest between cycles.

So HRMs are good for people starting exercise programs (which could be anywhere between 3-6 months depending your genetics, effort and program, etc) that have not been athletic in the past. It can help them know if they are pushing themselves too hard or too soft but once you reach a basic level of fitness and familiar with what your particular body can do, I think pretty much become useless.
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    This is an answer I just gave to another post, although that person asked about interval training, and was only using a heart rate monitor to determine intensity.....so I will pass this on to you....Especially pay attention to my third sentence in this response....I don't use a heart rate monitor at all, personally, but if you decide to, here is how to coordinate it to be a better guide.

Also focus on your breathing. Learn RATE OF PERCEIVED EXERTION (RPE) I am a certified trainer. I have worked with clients as old as 96 and as young as 12. The heart rate charts and formula are based on theories, and are OFTEN inaccurate for many people's individual training. For instance, I trained an 82 year old woman, who still worked, swam, played tennis, and did step aerobics. When I tested her, her heart rate easily got to 150 before she even started to breath hard. According to the charts she should be gone. My husband is 52, yet he can get his heart rate up to 190 during his bicycle sprints. And I have worked with people in their 30's who can't safely get their heart rate to 150.

So while the variations in your heart rate are a good indication, you need to know exactly where your exertion level is, to gain the benefit of interval training. You must learn your RPE (Rate of perceived exertion) Bear with me, and I will explain and give some basics.
    1. True interval training is very taxing on the body, so a longer than normal warmup is vital. You can build to a higher level on that warm up, but it should be about 10 minutes.

2. There are different charts for RPE, but I like the 1-10 method. 10 is the greatest, point of exhaustion. 1 is the lowest, rest. I came up with an easy way to figure this out. I have a client talk to me during different levels of intervals. Simply subtract the number of words said between breaths from the number 10, and this gives a fairly accurate RPE level. For instance, if the client can say 4 words between catching a breath, I know they are at a "6" on the RPE scale. If they can say 3 words, they are probably at a "7". If they say 2, they are at an "8" and so on.

3. The type of interval training you describe should be at an 8 or 9. If you can only do 2 minutes, that is what the exertion level is out. If at the end of 2 minutes, you feel like you can do 5 minutes more at that same speed, it's not hard enough.

4. To coordinate your heart rate readings with this, simply make a note, mental or written later, of what your hr monitor says when you are at these diffferent interval levels. Then you can see where it is the next time.

5. You can use resistance to increase exertion levels too. Don't just pedal fast. Try pushing through higher resistance on the stationary bike, if that's available. A spin type stationary bike also allows you to stand and push, adding a leg/core work element not possible by just sitting the whole time.

6. Make sure your difficulty or numbers of intervals increase each week, to build progression into your program. And try different ratio's.....For instance, maybe you can do a ratio of something that is hard for 5 minutes, recover 2 minutes, then try something hard enough that you can only go 30 seconds with a 1 minute recovery.

I hope this makes sense. Interval training is a great way to increase our fitness level, and ultimately change our metabolism. And it reduces boredom and gets us out of a rut, but only when we understand the different levels of exertion and progress and vary it.

Please feel free to ask me questions. Now I'm getting out the door to do my rolling hill run, another type of interval training. I will not have a hr monitor with me, but I know how hard to push and how to recover by now.

good luck to you.
  • achbarrow
    achbarrow Posts: 325 Member
    Options

If you want to buy one, I say it's definitely worth it. If you are on a tight budget and don't feel you need one, I'd say forgo it for now.

FYI - do not go cheap with just the watch. You need to get one with a chest strap or it is worse than useless IMHO --- I like Polar brand - the F6 of F7F.

Exactly. I have the Polar FT7 and LOVE it!
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I think I may be even more confused now. lol

I like the idea that I "don't need it". But the comments from people saying they "love" theirs is also appealing.
    Oh boy. I don't know what to do. I would love to have a accurate description of calories burned.
  • c2sky
    Options
    also, please read this article from the American Council on Exercise

http://www.acefitness.org/blog/39/i-ve-heard-that-performing-aerobic-workouts-at-a/
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    It realy depends. some people have great success with them. But I have been doing well just using the estimate that MFP provides. I think as you get closer to your goal it can help you really focus in on your calorie range, especially when the weight loss slows down.
    I have found this to be true also! MFP is shockingly accurate!

Really? I have found it shockingly inaccurate, it doesn't consider your weight at all when calculating it. Machines in the gym are always about 1/3 over what my HRM tells me as well.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options

I like the idea that I "don't need it". But the comments from people saying they "love" theirs is also appealing.
    Oh boy. I don't know what to do. I would love to have a accurate description of calories burned.

http://www.amazon.ca/Polar-FT40M-Black-Monitor-90038870/dp/B0035XR43U/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1307215194&sr=8-3-fkmr0
  • amandavictoria80
    Options
    Okay, I've lost 45 lbs since mid to late Dec without one. BUT, I really want one and think that it would be very very handy. You will know exactly what you can eat and exactly how much you've burned and what workouts are better and so on and so on....... I am trying to talk myself into splurging on one. I'd suggest it if you can afford it and want one. If not, just work your body hard. You do know your body better than anyone, so you know if you got a good workout. Like right now, sweat is pouring from my body because Jillian Michaels is a sadistic maniac. lol!!! Good luck

I have the same feelings about Jillian! LOL :D
  • amandavictoria80
    Options

http://www.amazon.ca/Polar-FT40M-Black-Monitor-90038870/dp/B0035XR43U/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1307215194&sr=8-3-fkmr0

Thanks so much. Although, I don't know if I am willing to spend that much. I was worried about spending $100. :\
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    My plan: I'm getting a HRM, along with a VO2max/ HR max test, when I hit a long plateau. That way the purchase is more justified since it would take the guesswork out of trying to break through the plateau.

For now, I'm dropping my weight steadily, so I don't really need one at the moment.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    HRMs can be nice tools, but I have mixed feelings about saying they are "necessary".

First and foremost, the main use of an HRM is it's original intent--i.e. to monitor your heart rate performance during exercise. There is a lot of debate these days about whether we should teach clients perceived exertion or heart rate.

Perceived exertion--primarily based on breathing effort-- has been shown to be as accurate as heart rate monitoring. But it takes time to learn your body's signals and not everyone has the same ability to interpret those signals in an effective way.

IMO, the PROS of a heart rate monitor:

1. It can help people gauge their effort so that they are meeting the goals of their workouts. It can help you to "throttle down" on the easy days, push it on the hard days.

2. It can provide clear direction for someone who is just starting out, or who has a condition that requires that they not exceed a certain intensity threshold.

3. It can provide motivation, especially for someone who responds to data.

4. I think an HRM can be especially valuable for movement activities, such as mixed-movement classes. Because of the changes in movements and tempos, I think it is harder to use perceived exertion under these circumstances.

5. For use with interval training--HR can be important as a sign of recovery.

6. Recovery between workouts--this is mainly for more sophisticated models that measure R-R intervals.

7. Recognizing external stressors that might affect a workout. Example: you are doing your normal workout, but notice the your heart rate is noticeably higher. That could be due to thermal stress, onset of illness, fatigue, etc. I have had days where my HRM during a workout told me I was getting sick before I actually experienced the symptoms.

8. Tracking progress. If you are doing comparable workouts, average heart rate can be used to monitor improvements in fitness level.

The CONS of an HRM are:

1. There is a learning curve when starting to use an HRM. People who lack a basic understanding of HR response to exercise can find HRMs to be more confusing than helpful. I always stress that people using an HRM for the first time should just observe what they see for awhile before changing anything or reacting to the numbers.

2. HRMs work best when they are programmed with accurate setup information. The problem is that most people do not know their HRmax and it's not that easy to figure it out.

3. There is a lot of variability in the human heart rate response to exercise.Studies done to determine formulae for estimating HRmax usually have a standard of error of 10-12 bpm. That means that an individual can have an actual HRmax that is 25 or 30 beats above what the HRM estimates and still be "normal". This is further complicated by the fact we are learning that HRmax likely does NOT decrease with age as much as was previously thought. As the cohort of individuals who have been exercising at high levels for 20, 30, 40 years has increased, we are finding that maintaining a vigorous training program can maintain your HR max as well. So that is another confounding factor.

Overall, there are more pros than cons, but I tell very few people that they "need" a heart rate monitor.

I have not mention calories at all. That's another subject in itself. Suffice to say that all of the variability factors I mentioned earlier affect the accuracy of calorie counts as well. As I have mentioned in my blog, if the calorie count feature is the most important one to you, then your choices are extremely limited, and even the "good" choices have some significant limitations.
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    That is a good point. I do have a write BP monitor that also measures my heart rate. While I know many wrist monitors aren't considered terribly accurate, I have calibrated mine against my GPs several times and found it to be spot on.

I do try to get most of my exercise in daily activity and not actual "work outs" so I don't know how I feel about walking around with one while I'm cleaning or strapping it on to bike to the kids' school. Something to consider for later tho. Thanks for your reply and insight.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options

I was in this same predicament a few months ago..I wanted to get a more accurate description of my "Calories out"...I was working on the whole "calories in vs. calories out" theory...so I figured if I was positively accurate with my calories in...I should be just as accurate with my calories out...I also have the Polar FT7 and I love it..It is a great tool, and honestly one of the best purchases I have made this year in regards to weightloss..I dont pay attention to the fat burn zone vs. fitness zone..it's not like the calories would be any different...I've read that was a big gimmick in the first place...

Do I NEED the watch? no..I lost my first 68 lbs without it...Do I LOVE the watch? Yes...Its one of the best tools I have..
  • c2sky
    Options

Oh drat, didn't mean to confuse you more. A heart rate monitor can be an easier way to guage variations in exertion. So that is the biggest plus. All I was saying, was to try to figure out how hard you are working on a scale of 1-10, and then see how it compares to what your heart rate monitor says.