"Cheat Day"

Options
So, I've been told, and I've read on several profiles here on MFP that some individuals have a "cheat day" where they eat anything they want. I know that this works because I've seen the results of some of our members, but I was just curious as to how many of you do this. Do you have a cheat 'day ' per say, or do some cheat a bit on any given day?

On the other side of the spectrum, I've had friends tell me that if you cheat at all, you ruin your entire weight loss plan. Personally, I don't agree, but again...that's just my opinion...I certainly don't know first hand.

Replies

• Aulreddidan
    Options
    I definitely think a cheat day helps. For some, it gives motivation to go through a really strict calorie control during the week and then have one day when you can have a few more calories. The point, I believe, is not just the calories, but also developing the consciousness to know when you have days where you indulge in more/ or richer food, you are conscious to take measures (exercise or eating less calories) to make up for the extra calories. A cheat day mirrors real life when you are maintaining your weight.
    Congrats on the losing 1lb!!!
  • ZannahDia
    ZannahDia Posts: 65
    Options
    I've heard that it works, but I don't do it, because for me, if I give myself a free day, it will be really really hard to get back to healthier eating the next.
  • alysen2012
    alysen2012 Posts: 71
    Options
    Well some ppl say it isnt good to have a cheat day. But if u strictly follow your diet you will probably will not see much results. Having a cheat once in awhile doesnt hurt at all. If you dont cheat you will probably give up on your diet before to long. I have a cheat day or two here and there but thats when i am on TOM though and some reason i crave things that i am not suppose to. So i have cheat week during that time but seem to be under the calories i need to eat cuz i know when to stop eating the so called junk food.
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    So, I've been told, and I've read on several profiles here on MFP that some individuals have a "cheat day" where they eat anything they want. I know that this works because I've seen the results of some of our members, but I was just curious as to how many of you do this. Do you have a cheat 'day ' per say, or do some cheat a bit on any given day?

On the other side of the spectrum, I've had friends tell me that if you cheat at all, you ruin your entire weight loss plan. Personally, I don't agree, but again...that's just my opinion...I certainly don't know first hand.

I think it's important to plan. I never make an entire day of it because that can wreck an entire week's hard work, at least in my case it does. If I'm really craving something, I plan for it, find a healthy version if possible and if not, have it but only 1/2 the portion, drink extra water and make sure to exercise.
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I haven't really set up a specific day as a "cheat day", but I have had those occassional days where I just ate a meal that I wanted to eat, or a few snacks that I use to really enjoy.

My diet isn't really strict, I just found healthier foods to eat that I enjoy... though they aren't as fulfilling... haha xP

For me personally... after I eat something I know I shouldn't have, I feel extremely guilty, and I hate the feeling... I feel bloated and gross and just disappointed (like I gained a pound from one meal - unlikely, I know).

It's a personal thing that I'm trying to fix haha. On the flip side though, I've heard that zigzagging calories really helps with weight loss! So that shock to the system may boost something, I'm not 100% sure on that though :)
  • kirstyfromscotland
    kirstyfromscotland Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    i would say do have a cheat day because if u totally cut out the things u love u will just want them more. I kinda have a cheat day where i eat what i want n go over my cals but i do a big workout so my cals r still under, i dont usually not have something that i want, i just work round it, hope this helps. :happy:
  • webbed1
    webbed1 Posts: 86
    Options
    Define "cheat" day. How many excess calories are we talking? If 3500 calories equal a lb, isn't 500 extra calories x 5 days a month something like .71lbs? 8.57lbs a year?

If you have a cheat day and can justify that, shouldn't you have a super strict day and justify it the same way, but in reverse?

One thing I will agree upon: if some people are doing that and STILL getting results they are happy with, then ROCK ON. I am not interested in being obsessive for obsessive's sake. Do what WORKS. For YOU.

I haven't tried a cheat day yet, so I guess I should. But then I gotta do a super strict day as well, for the same logic. Or am I wrong?

BTW, this is NOT the same as zig zagging your calories.
  • sarabig2fit
    sarabig2fit Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily have a cheat day, but it seems lately parties and other things have helped me cheat a little. :)

I find that if you mix up the amount of calories you eat, like one day 1200, the next 1500, and so on. It keeps my body guessing and it seems like I lose more weight. :)

If you think a cheat day will help you, do it! I just can't get back on track as easily if I give in!
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I don't have a "cheat day" per se, but every Friday I have "margarita night" with my colleagues after work. I drink two, full calorie margaritas, and eat a bunch of chips and salsa. I stay away from the queso. I exercise a lot in the morning, drink a lot of water, and eat a small lunch. That's my "cheat day". If I'm over, it's usually not by a lot (though this last Friday I ate a cupcake for my birthday).

I like the concept of a cheat day, and wish we could see some research on "does it really damage anything".

Best,

Debbie
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    My experience, this time around, has been to totally change up my eating habits, and not call it a diet. I'm trying to change my daily food so it becomes a part of my life. If I want something naughty, I add a taste of whatever it is to my daily foods and still keep close to my total calories, and ALL other nutrients. This from a person who just 2 months ago was eating chocolate doughnuts, cinnamon rolls, french fries, double cheese burgers, breaded sweet n sour chinese chicken just to mention a few. By changing my eating habits, I don't crave those things so much any more. However, we went out to dinner last week, and someone ordered a flourless chocolate torte!! Yummy. I allowed myself to have 2 small bites, savoring every rich, indulgent moment. It worked!! Totally satisfied, especially when I realized I didn't blow my weight loss continuum. I'd go more for a cheat moment, than a cheat day.
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    "I think it's important to plan. I never make an entire day of it because that can wreck an entire week's hard work, at least in my case it does. If I'm really craving something, I plan for it, find a healthy version if possible and if not, have it but only 1/2 the portion, drink extra water and make sure to exercise."

I like this poster's opinion. While I have a technical "cheat day" with Friday night margaritas, I almost never cheat on a whim or impulse. It's planned in so it doesn't balloon out and become a cheat week.

Best,

Debbie
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I usually opt for a cheat meal earlier in the day instead of a whole day.
    When I am trying to get lean I cycle my calories and "reload" on good clean carbs 1 reload day for every 3 "lean" days
  • webbed1
    webbed1 Posts: 86
    Options
    Bump to Debbie and original poster.
  • LimeyTart
    LimeyTart Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have a "cheat day" once a week to every ten days or so. But I definitely don't eat anything I want or go nuts. I do not consume processed carbs in my regular diet, but on my cheat day, I might have homemade macaroni and cheese. I still stay within my calories, though. Tonight, I'm making a pork and rice dish that my kids love and I'm going to have some too. Rice is not on my list of foods that I eat on my regular diet, so it's my "cheat." Not restricting myself entirely has helped me maintain a pretty clean diet 95% of the time. As long as I stay within my calories, I'm unlikely to sabotage my weight loss efforts. And I generally keep it to a "cheat meal" rather than a day.
  • lgravitt1
    lgravitt1 Posts: 2
    Options
    I think cheat days are ok only after you have reached your goal weight. At that point, you want to be able to maintain, so eat healthy most of the time, but allow a cheat meal or two (as opposed to a cheat day).
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I allow myself to cheat whenever I want. Interestingly I never want to. I like my diet and am satisfied. On a recent vacation I had a bite or two of desserts but it really didn't do much for me. Maybe if I didn't allow myself to do this I would want to more. Reverse psychology on myself?
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I've heard that it works, but I don't do it, because for me, if I give myself a free day, it will be really really hard to get back to healthier eating the next.

I'm the same way. I like to eat my healthy food. My weight loss is so gradual as it is I am afraid that I would offset any loss doing that. Also mentally it is harder for me to get back on track. Not sure I am ready to let go like that, although I did eat what I wanted within reason for my birthday last month. Eating Sugar and white flour REALLY derail me and bring me nothing but cravings!
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

Why "cheat," what does that say about what you are all about? Why not just save the calories and PLAN to eat something extra/go out to dinner. Excessive, unplanned eating does not work for Me. I usually pay for it needing 2 or 3 days to get back o track (Emotionally, Mentally and Physically.) Some people need to "fool" themselves or have an emotional "fall back" they are not really changing their eating habits; they can emotionally pig out and feel ok about it..Aren't they on a DIET. Immediate "success" BUT can they live the rest of their Life doing this AND Maintaining wt loss and good health. Going back to OLD Bad Habit every week is NOT changing anything, they are fooling...who? The scale always tell Me what I have done, so who am I "Cheating/Fooling?" ONLY Me...but to each their own.
  • T0nie2
    T0nie2 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I don't have a "cheat day" but if I've been really good and I want to splurge one day out of the blue I don't beat myself up for it.

However, I am also one of those people who like to have something sweet EVERYDAY. I often find myself saving calories or working out more just so I can have ice cream later. It may not be the most nutritious but I almost never go over my daily calories so I say, "why not?"

If you want to eat something, EAT it! Just don't go crazy. If you're truly doing this as a lifestyle change you'll have to learn how to compromise with your wants and your needs.

And every once in a while I want a frickin' cupcake!
  • evonday
    evonday Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    My first 70 days of weight loss (before I started here), I would pick one day every 2 weeks, and give myself an extra 500 calories for that day to get what I crave. On the majority of days I was usually 50-100 cals under my calorie limit. If you add up all those extra calories it was always between 650 and 1200 cals. So I figured my break day was a reward for my other 13 days of perseverance.