Lonely... Ideas?

sarahlyzzibeth
sarahlyzzibeth Posts: 108
edited September 28 in Chit-Chat
I don't mean to sound pathetic or anything, but I'm really lonely!

I live on a college campus in the dorms and I work for the university. It's a part-time student position running a front desk, but since it's summer we're not very busy at all so I don't do much while I'm at work nor interact with many people. My co-workers are friendly enough, but nobody I'd really want to hang out with, and I just joined a new congregation at church. I'm meeting people at church, but, again, nobody I'm comfortable with yet to call up and spend time with, you know? Also, I can't afford summer classes so I'm not doing that either, which I resent, but what can you do? Anyways, during the year I take lots of classes and my job during the year is with a much tighter-knit group of people who are all friends... unfortunately, all the people I'm close with went home for the summer so I'm pretty much here all alone. I'm not used to having this much free time and it's really getting me down that I don't have anything productive to do. I'm a busy body and when there's nothing to do I feel worthless and get depressed. (Well, more like disheartened... because I know the second school starts again I'll be back to my normal chipper self).

So, what I'm saying is I need ideas for things I can do by myself that are worthwhile. Maybe a hobby that will benefit the community? But... it can't be too expensive... I'm sorta hurting for money at the moment (hence the summer job that I don't neccessarily enjoy but it'll help with tuition in the fall). I've donated tons of rice on freerice.com but it's a little mundane. Something I can do outside maybe? I have no idea with this kind of stuff!

Like maybe the name of some organizations I can volunteer for or places I can donate stuff to? I was thinking about maybe getting one of those beanie looms and knitting hats for premies? More ideas like that.

Replies

• angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Maybe trying to volunteer for either Komen or the American cancer society..they are always looking for help :)
  • soshotout
    soshotout Posts: 115
    Check out the local non-profit organizations in your area. They are always looking for volunteers. Plus, you would be able to meet other people as well! Even if you volunteered at the local humane society! (If you like animals, that is..)
  • Habitat for Humanity is a good one -- you get to work on building houses. Many colleges actually have a HfH chapter, so if yours has one, they will be able to hook you up. You'll get outside, and get some exercise too. So, it's win-win! :)
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Does your university have a fitness center? Typically universities do and it is free to students. Great place to hang out and meet folks. Community wise...soup kitchens, food banks, nursing homes, hospitals, and red cross are options for volunteering and getting involved where other people are. Look for clubs on campus or in your community ----book discussion groups, scrapbooking, etc... Many town parks and recreations depts. offer free or very inexpensive classes, ranging from dance to photography.
  • Those are all really good ideas! I will definitely check them out! Since it's summer it's a little hard to find on-campus clubs since most of them take the summer off, but I will look!
    And yes, my university has a gym so I'm there to exercise 3-4 times a week but everyone usually keeps to themselves, haha.
This discussion has been closed.