Differences in scales?

pander101
pander101 Posts: 677 Member
edited September 28 in Health and Weight Loss
I am currently wondering if the scale you weigh yourself on makes a huge difference. I usually weigh myself on my analog scale that I bought almost a year ago, I calibrate it every time I use it. Today though, I used my boyfriend's mom's digital scale. It had me at 7lbs more than when I weighed myself last week. He informed me that her digital scale is really old and when he weighed himself he was 7lbs more as well. I currently do not have access to my own scale and I'll be living with my boyfriend and his family for the next couple months. Should I continue using the mom's scale or should I go back out and buy another analog or a cheaper digital one? Is there a big difference between them? I thought I was getting pretty accurate ratings with my analog because you can't manually calibrate the digital ones can you?

On another note I don't think I've gained 7lbs in the past week, I haven't been eating over my calories and I haven't had any junk food. At least, I'm hoping that my past week of eating mainly fruits and veggies hasn't completely screwed me over.

Replies

• mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Y
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    The scale you use does not make that big of a difference. Just make sure you use the same scale consistantly.
  • PattyCake123
    PattyCake123 Posts: 156 Member
    I had the same thing happen to me recently. I had just been at the doctors two weeks ago and got one weight, and then i decided to invest in my own scale a few days later so that i wouldnt have to depend on other random scales. The one i bought said i was 8 pounds more than the doctor's office 3 days later. obviously there is a difference in the scale and i did not gain 8 lbs over night, but since it is the one i use constantly i bumped up my weight on here to make it consistent when I do loose weight.
  • cszammit
    cszammit Posts: 26 Member
    Weigh on your boyfriend's scale and deduct 7lb
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    I had some issues with my scale this week as well, not seven pounds difference though. I read in my new digital scale directions that industry standards say that a scale is allowed to be accurate within two pounds! With that huge range, I would say you should continue using the same scale you have been using. If that's too inconvenient, I would get a new one.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    That must be SO frustrating for you!

If you can afford it, and as you're only going to be there for a few months, and you'll have this problem over again, I suggest you buy a set of your own.

It doesn't matter which scales you use, or whether they run a few pounds over or under, the important thing is to keep using the same set. After doing so well losing the weight you have, once you've reached your target you're going to be keeping an eye on your weight to check you're not putting any on... Yeah, my gut feeling is that you need your own scales.
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    I have scales at home and scales at the gym. My home scales were consistently weighing me as 7lbs more than those at the gym. Given that the gym scales are much more expensive than mine and digital I calibrated my home scales to match with those at the gym and now I'm happy! I'd say get new scales or deduct 7lbs from your weight - whichever is easier for you...
This discussion has been closed.