frozen foods like lean cuisine and smart ones

Hi everyone, I am on day 2 of my diet and I want to know what people think of using frozen quick meals every once in while. I don't mind them i don't think they taste to bad i am just worried about all the sodium in them. Its nice to just warm up and know exactly how many calories are in it instead of having to measure all the time fresh food. I'm going to try and mix it up but being a mom of 2 small kids who are very active i find myself turning to these instead of fresh food just to save time. What do you guys think?

Replies

• PST0622
    PST0622 Posts: 115
    I use them every now and then, but try to limit to twice a week. They are very high in sodium. But, as a busy mom myself, I understand the need for something quick and easy every now and then. Just don't become dependent on them and you should be fine!
  • I ate smartones all the time until I found how how many chemicals were used to make them. Now I'm scared of them! I don't think every once in a while is bad. I'd love to see what others think
  • just watch the sodium content. i like Garden Lites. :)
  • blueocean52811
    blueocean52811 Posts: 83 Member
    I'm all for them. I normally have them for lunch, because it makes my life easier for at work.
  • anjelyc23
    anjelyc23 Posts: 15 Member
    I don't think it's something terrible to do. The only thing about sodium is that it makes you retain water. I want to say I read somewhere to drink some extra water to help flush you out. Obviously, eating fresh is better but there will be days when you just have to do it! Don't stress too much about it!
    Good luck!
  • I try to limit them to only when I'm pressed for time. I have switched to Healthy Choice Steamers. They taste so much better than LC or HC and seem to come with a little bit more food too. My favorite is the Chicken Pesto Classico because it allows me to have a little bit of pasta. I love pasta! :)
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    I keep some in the freezer. I try not to eat too often, but when it's busy or I just run out of healthy options and can't get to the store, I'll eat one.
  • KathyWel
    KathyWel Posts: 140
    I use them a lot personally, the program I am on says as long as it is under 700 mg it is OK...been working for me, I have lost 47 pounds so far...of course that isn't all I eat, I do try and mix it up a bit.
  • LLaDonna
    LLaDonna Posts: 126
    I think eating these meals helps during the first few days of calorie counting / food journaling. Each good choice you make becomes a building block for the next, until you have developed habits that turn into a great lifestyle. Keep reading labels and caring about yourself!
  • SpringFever19
    SpringFever19 Posts: 180 Member
    The sodium is the killer in them but I think for me they are better than making a bad choice when I'm hungry in the cafeteria at work those days I don't have time or food to make my lunch. I fallen for the Birds Eye Steamfresh Lightly Sauced lately, because for most of them, even if you eat the whole bag (which is 2 servings) they are less than 500cal.
  • AriesGrl
    AriesGrl Posts: 174 Member
    I actually eat them everyday and I am NEVER over my sodium intake because I watch it the rest of the day...has totoally worked for me...ive lost over 100 lbs!!!
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    I try to limit them - more because of how processed they are than the sodium (although that is high too). But, I keep them in the freezer and usually eat 2-3 a week just because of convenience. I'd really like to get down to 1-2 a week - but you are right they are so darn convenient!!

I do freeze left overs when I cook and put them in the freezer - that way I get the convenience without all the preservatives, etc. I haven't found anything that hasn't thawed well as long as you eat it within a few months.
  • lynnmarie60
    lynnmarie60 Posts: 325
    Since they are high sodium I only use them once in awhile and your right they are easy and nice to use.
  • Aileen46
    Aileen46 Posts: 176 Member
    I used to eat them around 3 times a week at work, and also had water retention issues every day. I never put the two together at that time but I won't do them nowadays because of the sodium. If they made them with less sodium, I'd do them for sure! They are very handy and make meal time quick and easy.
  • katythemommy
    katythemommy Posts: 437 Member
    I use only Healthy Choice Steamers as well!

I only eat a frozen dinner maybe once or twice a week if my husband is still at work. If everyone is home than I cook!

I've always wondered why they don't use brown rice and whole grain noodles to make them healthier? I know some do, but wouldn't that be an obvious switch??
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    I think they are good in the first few weeks of trying to lose weight - simply because they give you a better understanding of portion sizes, particularly when it comes to working out how much potato/rice/pasta SHOULD be counted as a side in a meal. I know my meals before starting were always VERY HEAVY on the rice/pasta/potato because I wanted to fill up more (and cheaply). I've since discovered that I was eating WAY too much, and also that veggies are pretty cheap, so it's easy to fill up the plate with veg as well!
  • maggie4097
    maggie4097 Posts: 156
    I have a few of them in my freezer to grab "just in case". I try not to have them more than 2x a week, if that. The main reason is that I find they don't sustain me for very long, and I am hungry within a couple of hours.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    I do those once or twice a week. Just watch the sodium and try to find the ones with the least amount. I like the healthy choice steamers. I work 2nd shift and get home late...sometimes midnight. It's late, I'm tired and just want something small to eat. Mostly I do foods ahead and nuke em.

So don't stress the fact. Once in a while won't hurt. Then again, that's just my opinion.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    i use them all the time..they are fine..i perfer healthy choice, it has more 'natural' ingredients..less processed
  • jnchorn
    jnchorn Posts: 250 Member
    I think its good to have some on hand just in case. They are a lot better then just winging it. I would recommend once a week cooking the meals for the entire week. You can portion them yourself and that way you control the salt intake. You could do lunch, dinner and even snacks this way. Good luck! :)