Advice about Protein

Options
Hello all. I am currently using my Bowflex and using MFP to count my calories to lose weight. A secondary goal of mine is to build muscle. My question is, does it make sense for me to start using a protein supplement if I am trying to lose weight as well as gain muscle or should I wait until I have reached my goal weight? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• JLervold86
    JLervold86 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Start now! The great thing about protein is that it helps to keep you fuller longer!
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    It's true! Protien shakes are my new best friend. They keep me full a long l o n g l o n g time.
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I too am trying to lose fat and build muscle at the same time - and have done a good job at it for the past 6 months. It's important to do a mix of cardio and weight training. Cardio to lose the fat and weights to tone muscles. To see a lot of definition, you have to lose the fat that's covering the muscle, but don't wait until after you lose the fat to start weight training. Weight training burns fat - it's worked very well for me to do cardio and weights. Personally, I don't think you need protein supplements though. I've been eating a lower carb / higher protein diet then MFP recommends - nothing extreme though - I've been at 45% carb / 35% protein / 20% fat and that's worked well for me. Every now and then I'll drink a protein shake, but I really try to get all my protein from natural sources.
  • Geminieve24
    Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Protein helps build muscle, and muscle helps burn fat. So yes, take some protein! Protein shakes are great!
  • Ndskuse
    Ndskuse Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks all for your advice. Does anyone have an idea of what my protein intake target should be? Right now my typical day I am hitting about 70-90g per day (over what MFP currently recommends...but I wasn't too worried about that).
  • Ndskuse
    Ndskuse Posts: 15
    Options
    Anyone have a number I should be aiming for? If this helps, I currently do my Bowflex training 3 times a week (non consecutive days) doing the '6 week Weight Loss Program' consisting of the following exercises (1 set each, max weight for 8-12 reps)

Leg Curl
    Leg Extension
    Bench Press
    Bicep Curl
    Shoulder Press
    Ab Crunch

Also I would like to know what sort of protein I should be looking at. I see whey protein is available in many varieties...but is there another kind that is better?
  • lmr9
    Options
    I've read that a ballpark is 1 gram of protein for every pound of body weight, but I think that's a bit high - I think 100 grams per day is minimum. I recommend just doing it by a % of total caloric intake. Also, I've read that for protein shakes - whey protein is best.
  • lmr9
    Options
    I've read that a ballpark is 1 gram of protein for every pound of body weight, but I think that's a bit high - I think 100 grams per day is minimum. I recommend just doing it by a % of total caloric intake. Also, I've read that for protein shakes - whey protein is best.