Clutter, clutter, everywhere!!

Options
FireRox21
FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
So, my fiance and I are in the early stages of buying a house. While most of my furniture and other household supplies are in storage (we live in a single bedroom in my parent's house), I have amassed a HUGE amount of clutter-y stuff in said room. I have the "Printer Pile"..it is a HUGE pile of papers, receipts, documents, etc. that needs to be filed for tax purposes, etc. There are books, movies, auto parts, his hunting/fishing magazines (which he never reads), guns/ammo cans everywhere...this list could go on forever.

So herein lies my question; what are some of you guy's best ways to de-clutter and/or organize the stuff around you? Should I pick a pile and have a go at it? Should I organize a pile then start putting it away? I'm one of those people that when I see a giant pile of messiness, I want to run and hide. I know it needs to be taken care of, but I never know where to start!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Replies

• JLervold86
    JLervold86 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I hate clutter so I usually am on top of everything BUT when things do start to pile up: I separate into smaller like piles that are more manageable (garbage, file, magazines, ect) then handle each of the smaller piles appropriately. Creates small victories when you handle each type of clutter LOL Good Luck!!
  • soshotout
    soshotout Posts: 115
    Options
    Three bins - Keep, Donate, Trash. Then take it 15 minutes at a time. Maybe a third box for just the paperwork that needs to be filed.

Try not to get overwhelmed. Do 15 minutes and take a break. Go back for another 15 minutes. You'll be surprised how fast it gets done!
  • amysuemartin718
    amysuemartin718 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My thing is if I haven't needed it, used it, or worn it in 3-6 months- get rid of it. It's hard but I need to do the same thing. I have collected so much stuff it has begun to own me. :)
  • ItsTerriC
    ItsTerriC Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    For me, the only thing that works is breaking it down into small parts. Take 15 minutes and tackle one pile. When the time is up, you can quit. You don't have to, but you can. Usually I end up working longer.

Check out FlyLady.com for lots of clutter clearing and general organizing tips. Her motto is - You can do anything for 15 minutes.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,975 Member
    Options
    Baby Steps.

Do I have the "helper" for you!

www.flylady.com

Try to look pas tthe goofy art work, she has great ideas. Just what you (and I) need.

I've gotten rid of and organized so much since I found her. Right now she's also doing a "Body Clutter" thing, trying to lose weight, so it's a great spot.

You can do it.

Baby steps. :smile:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,975 Member
    Options
    terric, you and I both posted flylady at the exact same moment. :wink:
  • sundance2032
    sundance2032 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I would start with a few boxes and a trash bag. have one box for things to go thru later (like the stack of papers), a give away box, a keep box, a box for things you use often so you can put them back out as soon as you have gone thru everything, and the trash. Pick up the item and take 5 seconds to think about it... Have you used it in the last 6 months... No give it away... and go from there.

Good luck and congrats on the house shopping.
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I was going to mention flylady too! She worked wonders in my house! Well, I did the work, but her system allowed me to be successful.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others.Don`t get overwhelmed by the project.I would do small piles and do a break in between.
    If you don`t need it toss it or recycle it.
    Good luck
    jane:wink:
  • MarybethAltizer
    MarybethAltizer Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I am so OCD with stuff like this. Sounds bad, and my hubs can't stand it, but if something starts piling up, it ALL goes in the trash. Now IF I see something important like a tax paper, I will keep it. Other wise into the can it goes! I've thrown away credit cards, bills, CHECKS, whatever. haha So don't take my advice LOL That's just my way of cleaning out the clutter. :bigsmile:
  • AndyAt160lbs
    AndyAt160lbs Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    BURN IT ALL ....... I love to burn things.............just kidding breaking it down into smaller piles works great as others have said and if you have only three break down piles, like trash, donate, and file or keep when you do finish breaking down the big pile two thirds will then leave your house right away and that feels so good. One good way to stay on top of the clutter moving forward is to pick a room each week and pick 20 things that are either trash or can be donated, pick a different room each week and wash and repeat, the piles should stop.
  • tobeinshapeagain
    Options
    Thanks for bringing up this topic.
    I just went to fly lady.net.
    I'm starting her plan tonight.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Bump - I'm in the process of decluttering my apt too, and these are all great tips. Will have to check out flylady.
  • chezmama
    chezmama Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I was going to say flylady.com too!
  • chezmama
    chezmama Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    :ohwell:
  • januadiaboli
    januadiaboli Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I, too, am a big fan of short bursts of focused cleaning. In our house, I end up with bins for garbage, stuff to put away, stuff to donate, and paper to be filed (or otherwise dealt with).

Even an insurmountable task (like our uber-cluttered guest bedroom) seems easier (and not nearly so overwhelming) if I break it down into 10-15 minutes of cleaning.

I'm not going to get the clutter monster under control overnight, but I also try to remember that, just like the extra pounds I'm carrying, I didn't create it overnight, either.
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for all of your responses! My favorite idea was burning it all...so easy!! But, I checked out flylady.net and LOVE IT!! There are so many great tips on there. That site is now a permanent fixture on my favorites bar! If we do get the house we've bid on, I will definitely use her tips from the first day we move in. I refuse to have a cluttered house!!!