4-5 hours of excersize a day??!!

Options
So I was watching Extreme Makeover Weightloss and this girl is working out 4-5 hours a day? Who has time for this?
HOW!? Granted she lost about a lb a day, but with that many hours worked out a day I would want to be loosing 3! LOL! Yikes!

Replies

• Wraiythe
    Wraiythe Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have time to do anything else. It would be get up at 4:30 am go to work, come home work out. Take a shower go to school from 6 to 10pm. Come home go to bed. Gah!!
  • peacestar84
    peacestar84 Posts: 100
    Options
    I know I was totally thinking the same thing. 4 hours a day! I barely fit in a good 45 min. Apparently when you do extreme makeover you give up the rest of your life for the time of the show lol.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    The show pays her bills so she doesn't have to work. If I didn't have to work, I could easily fit in a 5 hour workout :)
  • nicole1123
    Options
    Oh I know!!! I just got done with my 40 mins of exercise, and I'm beat! I can't imagine 4-5 hrs of that.:noway:
  • liz827
    liz827 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I can barely fit in an hour! And to be honest, I don't want to work out 4-5 hours a day. :laugh:
  • melibea
    melibea Posts: 228
    Options
    About two years ago I did exercise around 4 hours a day. I did it during summer vacation from school :) I didn't have a lot to do back then! BUT unfortunately, it was an unhealthy period for me because I was almost starving myself too, but I did lose about a pound or more per day. Of 30 lbs I lost, I gained back 15 after I started eating like I normally would and stopped working out.

Oh and who used to be my old fencing coach is like 78 years old and he works out 4 hours a day, sometimes more... but that's like... part of his job description.
  • aladd2
    aladd2 Posts: 70
    Options
    They're probably going to get sued on day for killing somebody lol
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Well, it's plausible. If you were to break down a 24 hour period into 3 separate segments, assume 8 hours for sleep, 8 hours for a typical work day, that leaves 8 hours of extraneous time to fit in a 4 - 5 hour workout. It's obviously not feasible for the "average" person, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.
  • coolsmartygirl
    coolsmartygirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    my workout buddy always likes to say "you know britney spears works out six hours a day?" she read that a while ago and loves to bring it up after our hour work outs
  • mmiiaa
    mmiiaa Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I remember when I Used To Be Fat was on this winter, and they were working out like 6 hours a day! I thought that was crazy. I would seriously just pass out and die.

I'm kind of jealous of them though. I'd love to have someone pushing me to work out so much. Not quite that much, but maybe 1 - 2 hours a day? That sounds more practical.
  • layla_luvyah
    layla_luvyah Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    OMG!! I was just watching the same show...that's I hate watching programs like that, it's unrealistic. In the real world if you're married, with children and have a job, where are you going to find the time to exercise for 4-5 hours per day. Serioulsy!! I do have to admit the young lady looks terrific but she had also alot of help. We all have goals for ourselves but let's be realistic and we can't beat ourselves up, this is not T.V. This is our life that we want to change for the better not for anyone else.
    If we had a personal trainer, a gym set up in our house for free, a plastic surgeon on hand and a trips everytime we hit our goal weight...well we wouldn't need MFP would we. LOL :laugh:
    Keep reaching for the stars...
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I used to work out mad hours everyday when I was unemployed waiting for my college program to start. I had all the time in the world so I figured it would be a good investment of my time.
  • lizzil0
    lizzil0 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    My trainer/instructor works out along side me. Her day is about 8 hours of exercise- crossfit, spin, kettlebells, yoga, bootcamp, pilates. She does it all in one day, 6 days a week. She says in between classes she shovels food down her throat like there's no tomorrow. And she looks amazing of course.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Was that a typical episode? I didn't like that she had the surgery and that they just glossed over what a big deal it was. Plus 4-5 hours of exercise does not sound sustainable - for people who would have to get a job and eventually raise a family. The show felt unfinished to me. I guess they aren't kidding when they say 'extreme'.
  • coolsmartygirl
    coolsmartygirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I also wish I had someone motivating me each time I work out. I purchased personal trainer sessions since they were usually 300 and I had a gift certificate and got them for 99. I have my last session with my personal trainer and when I train by myself I don't ever have the same feeling afterwards =/
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Was that a typical episode? I didn't like that she had the surgery and that they just glossed over what a big deal it was. Plus 4-5 hours of exercise does not sound sustainable - for people who would have to get a job and eventually raise a family. The show felt unfinished to me. I guess they aren't kidding when they say 'extreme'.

Yes, that's a typical episode, and that's why the people on that show post such high weight losses - basically, exercise is their job while they are on the show. If you want a similar experience, you can go to a spa in St George, Utah where you will exercise 4-5 hours a day and eat 1200 calories per day. And no, it's not feasible for the average person who has a job and other life responsibilities - that's what I hate about that show - people only remember the extreme weight loss numbers and then expect to achieve the same on here... the amount the contestants are exercising/eating and the fact that they have constant support from trainers and medical professionals just doesn't register. It's really not something people should try without professional support.
  • waterfallaus
    Options
    If I got a trip like that after every goal I would make it no matter what it took! I love to travel, but cannot afford it.
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Once upon a time I did 3 workouts a day in the Marines. I'd either run 30 minute speed drills/timed 3mi or a 55-60min 5mi endurance run before work, then I'd do the opposite (speed drills/timed 1500yd or an endurance 3000yd) for my swim at lunch and every afternoon I'd assist my MSgt with running remedial physical training, which during his era, was mostly circuit weight training. So it probably totaled 4-5hrs a day easily. Truth be told, it was a huge time-suck... ESPECIALLY when it would take me 4x the amount of time/effort to get the same results that came so easily in the beginning. I leveled out about 2-3 months into it and it just got boring.
  • kleavitt1992
    kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Used to do that for soccer during try outs 2 a days they'd get you up at 7 you'd run for 2 hours on the track then they'd ask you to be back at 4 til 6:30 doing drills lol my coach was Columbian he LOVED his futbol we were all going to sweat to perfection and tryouts lasted 2 weeks
  • kleavitt1992
    kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    If I got a trip like that after every goal I would make it no matter what it took! I love to travel, but cannot afford it.

agreed! and might i add the girls brother on the show was Very attractive lol i know its her brother but id like to go to Greece with him as a reward lol