Winning a "can't be done" discussion

Options
cmmull67
cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
So, there I was t my son's wedding reception tonight. I was talking to an old Air Force friend of mine, and he asked how I had lost all my weight. I told him, I got off my *kitten*, and stopped shoving junk down my gullet. So, another guy at the table was telling him how hard losing weight would be in our 40's. I told him, just get moving...run/jog, if you cant then walk, briskly. Walking is natural and low impact. He looked at me, and said walking just wasn't enough at our age. I had my buddy tell him how big I was in recent months compared to now. He then asked me what I did for exercise...I walk, BRISKLY, everyday for 45 mins to an hour. He still isn't convinced it'll work for him, but he couldn't argue that 2 factors are key to fitness; move it, and eat right. I was the proof, with witnesses, right in front of him. What made the discussion so much better is hat he couldn't use the age or walking argument to demotivate my friend from trying to lose his weight.

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Some people aren't ready to lose weight and live in a state of denial about themselves. It's a "no win" situation...
  • Azuleelan
    Azuleelan Posts: 218
    Options
    Is so sad but there's so many people like that... even in this site, lol! They blame everything bu themselves: "I can't cook", "I can't exercise", "I have a hormonal problem", "I don't have time"...anything to avoid just gettting off their butts to exercise and eat right. It's great you shared your positive attitude against the typical "I'm so special that eating right and walking daily wouldn't make ME lose weight" What a loser...
    Yay you!!
  • chefchazz
    chefchazz Posts: 427
    Options
    such a *kitten*. congrats to you :bigsmile:
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    So, there I was t my son's wedding reception tonight. I was talking to an old Air Force friend of mine, and he asked how I had lost all my weight. I told him, I got off my *kitten*, and stopped shoving junk down my gullet. So, another guy at the table was telling him how hard losing weight would be in our 40's. I told him, just get moving...run/jog, if you cant then walk, briskly. Walking is natural and low impact. He looked at me, and said walking just wasn't enough at our age. I had my buddy tell him how big I was in recent months compared to now. He then asked me what I did for exercise...I walk, BRISKLY, everyday for 45 mins to an hour. He still isn't convinced it'll work for him, but he couldn't argue that 2 factors are key to fitness; move it, and eat right. I was the proof, with witnesses, right in front of him. What made the discussion so much better is hat he couldn't use the age or walking argument to demotivate my friend from trying to lose his weight.

He has a self limiting belief it can't be done. Our minds filter reality through multiple things, but also through our beliefs. WHat we believe is what we see. This is part of how schizophrenia works. People have a bodily response to something that is imagined. It's becomes real because of a belief. IF this guy has a belief it can't be done, that's all he will see.

When I encounter people like that, who are negative. In situations like that, when I say something that I know that works, and they're all negative about it. I say... "if I thought like you, I wouldn't have even tried."
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! People ask me how I have lost weight and they always seem to have that dissapointed look on thier face when I don't give them some magic weight loss recipe lol.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I love when friends ask me what I've done and I tell them I put less *kitten* in my mouth and move my A** more ;) They all want a quick fix and yet I'm the one down 63lbs :D
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    "I can't cook", "I can't exercise", "I have a hormonal problem", "I don't have time"
    That's ME! Well, maybe not hormones.
    But I do have some will power.
    That's really all you need.
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    People like that are the reason that so many people are overweight. They look for any excuse because it couldn't possibly be their own fault.
  • Azuleelan
    Azuleelan Posts: 218
    Options
    That's ME! Well, maybe not hormones.
    But I do have some will power.
    That's really all you need.

You're right. We all might have issues, but my point was we shouldn't use those posted (and more) to AVOID trying... I agree it's will power. And will power implies DOING. How does someone DO something with so many excuses? People with excuses make me sick.
  • rhazelwood
    rhazelwood Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I ran into a colleague I hadn't seen in a couple of months yesterday and she said 'you look great! what have you been doing?'. I said counting calories and exercising. She seemed almost disappointed - 'oh, the old fashioned way?' I said 'well, I realized that sitting on my @ss and eating whatever I wanted wasn't really working for me, so I decided to try something else.' Yeah, no golden ticket, sorry, burning more than you put in the tank works rather well :laugh:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!