losing weight but not fat..

Options
Self explanitory.. I feel like im losing weight but not fat. Im down 27 lbs and I don't notice many difference.

I run on my elliptical every day for at least 20 minutes. Some days I get to 30 and rarely 40. (I would do more but I have a hip disease so im limited)

And I just started using the Total Gym. Im hoping that does the trick. Cardio can only bring you so far I suppose.

Anyone out there have suggestions on some good fat burning exercises? Im willing to try anything at this point. Beach vacation is coming fast and I want to impress some people! :P thanks

Replies

• gnat45
    gnat45 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    How do you know you aren't losing fat?

If you are losing weight but not losing fat, then you would be losing muscle or something else lean... so would the answer be more strength training?
  • Eugene174
    Eugene174 Posts: 4
    Options
    Diet is key, eat clean calorie food and watch sugars and sodium.
    Drink lots of water to help remove waste in the body.
  • Eugene174
    Eugene174 Posts: 4
    Options
    By the way I was 310lbs and now way 225lbs and April was 1yr that I started my program, and October I plan to do a bodybuilding competion.
  • mbowman323
    mbowman323 Posts: 216
    Options
    Take your measurments. I thought the same thing till I took my measurements and have lost a total of 12 inches in 2 months. Also if your worried that your losing muscle instead of fact contact your doctor. Your doing good about starting ther total gym. Cardio and target toning will give you the results you want along with a healthy well balanced diet.
  • SMK715
    SMK715 Posts: 108
    Options
    Good point. I guess I have to be losing fat. I guess im just not seeing it..? Idk.

And I've been driving myself crazy with sodium and sugar for 3 months. This stuff is tough! I've spent more time researching my food for MFP than I have doing homework.

Im hoping the strength training starts to reshape my body.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you're the last person to notice. You may be losing fat, but you look at yourself every day and it's harder to see gradual changes. I've lost 29 pounds and I sure don't see it even though I've dropped 3 pant sizes.
  • kendf60
    kendf60 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I make sure I'm always at or above my protein goal to help me from losing muscle. I also try to leave enough rest days so my muscles have time to recover so I'm building, not tearing down.
  • SMK715
    Options
    What really sucks is I have some "before" pictures on my cell phone so I can look back and really see the changes, but my SD card is apparently corrupt and I lost everything. Sooo. I can't see the old me. I can use old beach pics from last year but it's not the same as a good close up from several angles. Also, I tried my best to not take shirtless photos. I really have no references.
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Are your clothes fitting any differently? That's what i noticed first.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    You're ALWAYS the last one to see the difference in yourself. I bet others notice it.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about your weight but concentrate on strength training and cardiovascular exercise (alternate days). Don't go for muscle building (so much) but to tone what you have. Watching caloric intake is, for me, a way to gauge what you are eating (your baseline) and then figure out your weight goal, then you have a caloric intake goal and muscle goal/fat loss and not weight loss. Stay positive especially in the beginning and know that this is a life goal and not a short term plan, so set your expectations right and keep making friends here to support you--support is so important and most here eat a lot because of emotional reasons (whether it is comfort or stress). I am not an expert and I just started this as well so good luck to you.
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i suggest meeting up with some friends who haven't seen you a long time and see what their reactions are. :) it's hard for others for even ourselves to really notice the difference on a day-by-day basis.

eating clean, and especially being careful about sugars and refined carbs, is very important. also make sure you're eating enough calories.

also, it's important to bring in more strength training such as 3x/week. as an example, one of my personal trainer's clients actually gained 10 lbs of muscle, but clothing size and measurements wise, she's smaller. in comparison, an individual can lose weight but be "skinny fat" if strength training is missing from the fitness regimen. in my pov, the scale numbers don't really matter as much as body composition. one month, i lost 5 lbs, but it turned out all of it was muscle loss and my body fat became higher as a result. so, doing more strength training and eating enough calories will help ensure you're not losing muscle mass. checking with a doctor or nutritionist might be options to consider. take care!
  • Cindio
    Cindio Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I find the best thing to do is record your measurements. I will usually see a loss in my measurements before I see it on the scale.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Since you say you have no reference point, take this as an opportunity to start fresh. Start now! From this day forward take new photos, get a measuring tape, buy a pair of jeans that are a size too small, etc. Only use the scale as a reference point, but use and track your measurements and gauge your progress by trying on those smaller pair of jeans once each month. Trust me, those are much better tools than going by what the scale says. 27 pounds is a huge success! You should be celebrating that achievement!

How to Measure (from About.com)

Waist
    Measure your waist without holding the tape too tightly (or too loosely). As a rough guide, your waist is the narrowest part of your trunk, or approximately 1 inch above your belly button.

Hips
    Measure the hips around the fullest part of your buttocks with your heels together.

Thighs
    Measure the upper thighs, just below where the buttocks merge into the back thigh.

Chest
    Measure around the fullest part of chest.
  • SMK715
    Options
    Thanks everyone, you all helped alot. I have had big changes in clothes. I went from 38 to 34 in jeans/shorts and from XL to L in shirts. Just bought some new clothes the other day :))))

People I don't see daily see a big difference. Im blind to it all. Ill trust the measuremesnts and scale and people. And ill keep pushing for a better me. One day at a time
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    well you must have lost some fat then :)

To preserve muscle mass, resistance training and moderate protein are required. (I do 1g/lb minimum) And depending on how much fat you have to lose, the calorie deficit may need to be smaller ie. someone with low BF% at 1000cal/day deficit may lose too much muscle mass even with resistance training and adequate protein.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    if you are losing, then you are losing fat. all exericse is fat burning
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    if you are losing, then you are losing fat. all exericse is fat burning