Starting out tips?!!

Options
I'm new to the weight loss scene. Gained about 15 lbs since I started living with my fiance a year and half ago. I've done South Beach a couple times in the past and it really worked but I've been having reallyyy bad side effects on it after some heavy duty medication so I'm going the old-fashioned route. And I want to make it a lifestyle this time.

I want to lose 20lbs by August 18th and then another 10 before Christmas.

Any tips to really kick-start weight loss/metabolism so I can make all this happen?!

Thanks! :-)
Nora

Replies

• risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Cut out carbs and try and follow something similar to the first two weeks of the South Beach diet if your body allows! That is a great diet to help get your body into gear...it's what initially lost me the first 20 lbs. Also, if you can afford it, don't be afraid to try a personal trainer. I did the first 30 or so lbs on my own, but then my body got used to what I was doing. I've learned that the secret to keeping a steady weight loss is to always change my routine about every 4-5 weeks so my body doesn't get used to what I'm doing! Good luck to you! :)
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Plan your day out in advance. The toughest part about trying to diet is having to think about food all day but not being able to eat as much as you usually do! So I find that if I plan my day out either the night before or first thing in the morning it helps me to keep topped up with healthy snacks, so I don't get to that 'must eat everything in sight' hungry stage.
    Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • PandaFit450
    PandaFit450 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I started MFP a week ago and found that by upping my water intake & exercising each day (even for just 10/15 mins) has 'allowed' me to reduce me portion sizes wothout feeling hungry.
    The food & exercise diaries have worked a treat for me - kept me disciplined!
    Good luck
    Jules x
    :flowerforyou:
  • lucysmommy
    lucysmommy Posts: 460
    Options
    I thinkl exercise is good way to get going along with eating good food.

exercise really curbs my appetite

x
  • michelle2566
    Options
    I found setting small goals to start with was good as you feel grat when you make these if you set them to high it can have a negative affect and you can fall off the wagon......
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Reduce your portion size.
    Drink lots of water.
    Exercise - a variety, including strength training.
    Remember that results are 80% nutrition and 20% exercise, so eat well.
    And remember that everything is an estimate, so don't get hung up on meeting targets right on the nail - close is fine.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    patience
  • rjvt006
    rjvt006 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Plan your days out. Drink lots of water. Take one day at a time. DO NOT beat yourself up if you have a bad day. Know that we are all here to support you:bigsmile: