I`m a smoker and I need to quit. BUT !!

Options
Yes I smoke.. I know, I know before you say anything.. Its BAD ! Thing is, I have quit before and I piled the weight on.
So Any ideas How to quit and still have the power to keep slimming too ! WOW that`s a lot of will power all in one go !

ps, I`m only on about 10 per day.. 10 too many I know but I`m not a heavy smoker..

Aaron..

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    just dont eat a lot when you quit. that is what makes people gain weight. its that oral fixation thing. gotta have something in the mouth..so usually people stuff it with food.

try chewing gum or sunflower seeds to get that fix.

i quit smoking and got in shape at the same time. it can be done
  • glendeb
    glendeb Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You've already taken steps to be healthier, by joining MFP. So just like cutting back on your calorie intake, could you cut back 1 cigarette a day? Then set dates to drop one more, then one more etc, etc.

Then if you do it, you'll be healthy in lots more ways than just weight :)
  • rotarudiana
    Options
    Just replace cigarettes with fruits!
  • babs23
    babs23 Posts: 86
    Options
    the absolute BEST thing you can do - when you have a craving, go brush your teeth!!! seriously. Buy an extra tooth brush and tube of paste to carry with you. This helps get that "taste" out of your mouth and it doesn't involve food.

A craving only lasts about 15 minutes. Brush your teeth and suffer through the rest. Whatever you do, don't eat to compensate.

You can do it! You'll be fine. :)
  • mamaredhead
    mamaredhead Posts: 112
    Options
    A couple of people I know just QUIT. With no substitute.
    Doesn't seem to be your way, which is perfectly alright.

If you have to have something in your mouth, try sugarfree gum. No calories, you can put it in your mouth and it even keeps you content because you have something to chew on ;-))))

If there's a will, there's a way, Aaron!
    You can do it -- non-smokers have a much prettier skin and they SMELL SO MUCH BETTER!!! :-)
  • matt5049
    matt5049 Posts: 3
    Options
    I quit about 2 years ago and pilled on over 4 stone because I was comfort eating rather than smoking. Best thing is sugar free gum but also fitness plan. Running is great because it relaxes you afterwards and the cravings get weaker.

Dont worry if you put some weight on you will lose it again, just don't do what I did and leave it so long. Glad to say I lost the weight but it took over 6 months to do it.
  • V44V
    V44V Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I quit my 20 a day habit 2.5 years ago nd did it cold turkey, downside was I put on 2 stones, plus side was the smell was gone as was the poor breathing.

I wanted one every day since quiting until I joined here and kicked my own butt in to action, I don't think of them at all now. I got myself down to my old weight and feel healthier than I ever have.

You can do it too!
  • CriticalX
    CriticalX Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    stop making excuse! do it!
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Options
    I highly recommend the book called "Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr. Maybe they even have a clinic in your area - check it out on the internet.

I think it is the only method that will get you to quit without feeling deprived of anything. Or feeling any cravings.

It helped me quit during pregnancy and I was a heavy smoker. I did put a lot of weight on, but I really think it was due to pregnancy rather than stopping smoking.

EDIT: My mom stopped 5 years ago using the book after many years of failed attempts and weight gain. This was the one time she quit and never looked back. And she didn't gain any weight either.
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Options
    Just replace cigarettes with fruits!

LOL. I wouldn't do this. If you were to replace your 10 cigaretted with 10 pieces of fruit it would amount to at least 500kcal a day!!! And it is really not the same thing.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Yes I smoke.. I know, I know before you say anything.. Its BAD ! Thing is, I have quit before and I piled the weight on.
    So Any ideas How to quit and still have the power to keep slimming too ! WOW that`s a lot of will power all in one go !

ps, I`m only on about 10 per day.. 10 too many I know but I`m not a heavy smoker..

Aaron..

I use the ego electronic cigarette. A cigarette has like 4000 chemicals, an electronic cigarette has like 3.
  • peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    When I quit a few years ago, I found that the habit more than the nicotine got me. Also bad days.

I found that swallowing water instead of inhaling smoke helped.

Also, those skinny round coffee stirrer straws~not the flat ones~have about the same draw as a cigarette. I bought a package of them at the dollar store (like a million zillion in a package) and when I got in my car, i'd pull out one of those. It really helped.

I've also heard that those electronic cigarettes reallly help, but I believe they do have nicotine so beware as a light smoker, not to up your nocotine addiction.
    I also knew someone who would work out whenever she wanted to smoke. Needless to say she was in great condition.
    For me, doing yoga helps. The breathing creates a similar rush as cigarettes.
  • Helena4
    Helena4 Posts: 124
    Options
    chew gum? chew sugar free sweets...anything to keep your mouth busy!! i have never smoked, so i can't speak from experience but it seems to be a mental/oral connection
  • RosieGB33nz
    RosieGB33nz Posts: 142
    Options
    I quit 10 weeks ago cold turkey and turned my focus onto my health and fitness. Unfortunately we had an earthquake so i manged to put a few kgs on through the stress of a natural disaster but i toughed it out and didnt smoke the whole time. I got back onto this website as soon as it all settled down and it is now my bible. I have a few kilo to lose but becasue im busy working out and calorie counting, i dont have time to smoke and work a full time job. I myself used colouring in as a kind of therapy for me when i was bored, or a puzzle (the puzzle was 1000 picece and is still not completed) but im sure you can find something thats keeps busy through the tough times
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm the spokesman for this, but have you considered investing in a PV [Personal Vaporizer], A.K.A. an e-cig? I was a former cigarette smoker, and now I vape, or "smoke", e-cigs. It's more of an alternative nicotine replacement therapy, but minus the other 3999 chemicals found in actual cigarettes. The only ingredients that are in the liquid are a certain percentage of nicotine mixed with VG [vegetable glycerin] and PG [propylene glycol]. And before people start claiming blasphemy, it's not carcinogenic, there haven't been enough tests to disprove its safety, and there's a helluva lot more chemicals in a burning cigarette than there are in nicotine liquid.

That said, there are different strengths of nicotine that you can choose from, ranging from 36 mg/mL [the highest] to 0 mg/mL [no nicotine at all]. I'm in the middle at about 18 mg. I vape constantly, and there haven't been any negative effects on my health, or weight loss for that matter, whatsoever.

It's just an option that might be considered looking into. Many people have either significantly cut down on the number of cigarettes they smoke, or have completely switched over to vaping. Others have used it to completely stop nicotine intake altogether. Do your research and make an informed decision.

If you can't quit cold turkey, then I also opt for cutting down sticks per day until you have brought it down to none a day. To fight off cravings, you could do anything between "puffing" on carrot sticks, chewing gum, and incorporating deep breathing and relaxation techniques to manage.

Good luck with whatever decision you make. I wish you much success on your journey.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    EDIT - Double post.
  • sarahlouisah
    sarahlouisah Posts: 116
    Options
    i use champix from the doctor cravings very mild, i just go oh yeah i would of had a *kitten* now and then get on with my day, as cravings are so mild not having to substitute anything for them. I used to smoke 20-30 a day stopped in feb and weightloss has continued undisrupted. Might be worth a try
  • niavalentino
    niavalentino Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I was never a big smoker (a pack in a month, or less than a pack in a month), but I just quit last month myself. I had two hiccups last week because I was out with friends who were all drinking and then I just got into a pretty bad mood later in the week and smoking calmed me. After my best friend slapped my wrist, pointing out that I had been doing marvelously for a month, I threw out my last pack. Honestly, the best way to go about it is just to STOP and listen to the people who care about you. Stay away from comfort foods! I know they are delicious, but goodness, don't do it. Go for a run to kill the craving or drink water (thats what I do).