Calf cramps

Options
During my teens I would routinely get woken in the night by severe cramp in my calves. Haven't had it for years, but now since my new healthy lifestyle it's returned. I'm wondering if it's because I've cut something out of my diet that my body needs, like salt for example? Does anybody know?

Replies

• Loz_86
    Loz_86 Posts: 4
    Options
    I don't know what causes it, but I feel your pain!
    I had them regularly as a teen, and get them every now and then now! They are horrible!!
  • aaronjames11
    Options
    I get them too ! I find it help by stretching my calf before any exercise also first ting in the morning and on going to bed ! If you have steps in your home stand on the edge and let your heel drop down.. Be careful to hold on to something thou :)
    Could use a box or anything ells if you don`t have a step..i`m no expert so take care ! It works for me :)

Try it and see

Aaron..
  • Brinklj
    Brinklj Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Your electrolytes may be off if you aren't getting enough of something, likely potassium. You should also definitely stretch before and after you do any type of exercise. A lot of people forget about stretching after exercise, but it's a good habit because it helps prevent injuries.

P.S. I realize I'm a big fat guy giving exercise, but I'm also a nurse :)
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    Usually it's dehydration or vitamin deficiency. Low levels of phosphorus, magnesium, calcium, sodium and potassium. More water during the day and eat bananas. Add some salt to your foods.
  • EmmaShorter
    EmmaShorter Posts: 298
    Options
    Remember I had a telling off from my sister in law the sports therapist the other week due to me having bruised ankles? Well that was due to working out in trainers with no support and also from not stretching. I have been ordered to do heel drops as mentioned above at least three times a day holding each one for at least 40 seconds. Try doing that maybe it will help! Need to try fitting it in 3 times a day as my legs are starting to get heavy again!
  • CharlieJuliette
    CharlieJuliette Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys. Really appreciate it. I'll definitely do the heel drops. Another friend has suggested electrolyte tablets in the water when working out, which sounds like a good idea. Cheers everyone!
  • Brinklj
    Brinklj Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Usually it's dehydration or vitamin deficiency. Low levels of phosphorus, magnesium, calcium, sodium and potassium. More water during the day and eat bananas. Add some salt to your foods.

Right! I completely forgot about dehydration. Drink LOTS of water before and during your workout if you can.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options
    Your electrolytes may be off if you aren't getting enough of something, likely potassium. You should also definitely stretch before and after you do any type of exercise. A lot of people forget about stretching after exercise, but it's a good habit because it helps prevent injuries.

P.S. I realize I'm a big fat guy giving exercise, but I'm also a nurse :)

The disclaimer made me laugh!