Shin Splints

Options
So I've been walking/running a lot more than I have before, and i notice my shins are reaallly starting to ache/are painful. I've gone through a few pages of the forums to see if I could find one related, but none caught my eye, so I thought I'd ask if anyone has any suggestions as to help get rid of the shin spints/ways to lessen it. I am currently taking a few days off from walking and am focusing on circuit training. thanks for any help!

Replies

• Dippydog
    Dippydog Posts: 154
    Options
    My trainer told me that if I got shin splints to sit down and draw the entire alphabet with each foot in the air (draw with your foot).
    Good luck.
  • dukefanlisa
    dukefanlisa Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have had shin split issues since running track in high school. I take a dixie cup and freeze water in it. Then before I run, I do an ice massage on both shins. I also ice them after I run. It doesn't make them go away but it definitely makes them feel better. Also, take note of the surface you are walking/running on. That plays a role in your shin splints.
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    It is not always shin splints, how long have you been running? This is because at first your legs are quite weak and need to harden up a bit this takes a few weeks it gets better with time but it pain full. One thing you could try is when you are seated and not doing much you could rotate your feet backwards and forwards to strengthen up the shin.
  • aaronjames11
    Options
    Hiya, As far as I know its all to do with the smaller mussels that surround the bone in your shin. Your calf muscle ha something to do with it too.
    I suffer from them and I have been told that Stretching the calf before during and after excessive is a way to prevent them. I use my steps or a curb to do this by letting my heel drop down, Thus stretching the calf.

Also make sure you trainers are of good quality !

Try it and see. I`m no expert thou. Helps me thou :)

Aaron
  • rickydeuce
    rickydeuce Posts: 80
    Options
    Another possibility is proper shoes. They can definitely make a difference. If you are running, you might want to go to a specialty running store, not a chain, and have your gait/arches checked and make sure you have the proper shoe.
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I had them so bad that for a week straight I walked around like a little old wobbly man. It was horrific. The pain was so bad. Be careful and take it easy. Get a good pair of sneakers from a good running store. Rest, ice and some motrin will help!
  • rw4hawks
    rw4hawks Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I suffered with those too and I feel your pain! Stretching before and after got me thruogh it. My left one is totally better and still working on getting the other one pain free. Good luck,
  • dlrbrunzell
    dlrbrunzell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    PattyCake,

Painful, aren't they!? Two things:
    I asked the same question to some professional runners who said it's a combination of having new and the right running shoes (you can get custom fitted at a running store), but also never increase your walking/running distance OR time by more than 10% from the previous workout so your body can adjust.

For me personally, I noticed that they disappeared when I focused more on taking a full stride during my run. Land on your heel but follow through all the way to your toes. On a treadmill this is sometimes difficult because the machine is doing the work, but on regular ground it's much easier (in case you noticed that you get them more when on a treadmill). Make sure to stretch your legs before but most importantly after your workout because if your muscles are tightening up, this will help loosen them.

Tons of water...does a body good.
    Hope this helps!
  • aimibean
    aimibean Posts: 243
    Options
    bumping this!
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    1. Stretch. You can do this by standing, pointing your toe down and bending the knee forward to stretch the anterior tibialis (the muscle that is affected by shin splints)

2. Strength. Build up strength in your calves - front and back! Muscle imbalance is bad. If you're doing calf raises or running on inclines, do rock backs or heel walks. Rock backs - go up into a calf raise and then when you come down, rock back on your heels to point your toes up (or skip the calf raise and just do rock backs). Heel walks - just like it sounds. Walk on your heels, toes in the air. Do short distances at first...trust me, you'll feel it.

3. ABCs. Using JUST your foot, write out the entire alphabet in CAPITAL letters. Be sure you're pointing your toes and making BIG letters, you want full ROM with this exercise.

4. Be aware of bigger problems. If you're new to running and are really hard core, you could get a stress fracture. That's the most worst-case scenario. Another is compartment syndrome. Be aware of your body. Does it hurt? Or is there numbness/tingling with swelling? Anterior compartment syndrome is basically when blood and other fluids build up in the anterior compartment of the lower leg because it can't exit as fast as it enters...think DC traffic leaving the city at 5 vs going into the city at the same time.

5. Shoes. Proper shoes are a big deal. Go to a running store, get your gait analyzed. You may be a pronator that needs more medial support. You may need a custom orthotic. Or you may just need a higher quality pair of running shoes. Improper fitting or functioning shoes can negatively alter your running gait - which causes stress on muscles and joints - which leads to injury.

6. Elevation and Ice. When it's all said and done...prop those bad boys up and get an ice cup (just like the Dixie cup suggestion - fill a paper cup half full with water - freeze - then tear the cup down until the ice sticks out and do ice massage). This isn't a cure, but it'll alleviate the worst of the pain.

I haven't worked with shin splints in awhile so I might've missed something. For more info, message me and I'll look into it or do some of your own research - Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome (shin splints)
  • giammarcor
    giammarcor Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    This is a great topic. I've been walking longer distances and working up to a jog and have been experiencing these recently. The odd thing is that I will get them usually as I approach the 1 mile mark and they stay for about another mile, then they begin to subside. Yesterday I did 4 miles and by the third mile, they were completely gone. Maybe it's a stretching thing for me.
  • tashajayne2011
    Options
    How odd! We both posted our topics at the same time and this sounds like you are having the same kind of issue as me. I will give the advice on here a go! Anything to stop that heavy tightness!!
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I am a shin splints sufferer... Shoes matters. Resting helps (or use a different exercise) is good.

I am using an elliptical/arc to reduce pounding the pavement.... And I am hoping that will help... We will see....
  • PattyCake123
    PattyCake123 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the replies! There is some really great information in here. Stretching, ice, etc and perhaps investing in a better pair of running shoes is going to be in store for me!! Thanks!
  • AquaAura
    AquaAura Posts: 105
    Options
    Man I'm glad you posted this I get them so bad I had to stop running this week because the pain was so bad. Some great suggestions out there too !