MILITARY?!?

Options
I know that this is a support website for healthy choices and weight loss, but I'm not sure where else to turn. My husband and I have been together 6 years, married for 1, no children, two dogs and a house. Last night on the way home from dinner he told me that he has an appointment with a recruiter on Thursday. He wants to join the military. I have literally NOTHING to say. (if you all knew me better, you'd understand that me speechless is HUGE!) he wants to know "what i think" and keeps telling me all the great things available to us when he signs up. I know this isn't really the place to ask these questions, but I'm just....scared.

help. xoxo

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    You have every right to feel the way you do. I would feel the same way.
    Your husband is a very brave man and you should be very proud of him.
    If it is really what he wants you will stand by him and we are all here for you.
    God Bless you and your family, and Thank you and husband in advance form all of us!

It kills me how people comment more of peanut butter recipes than something this serious!
  • wyze
    wyze Posts: 248
    Options
    Awww, i have no idea what to say, but your best bet is to tell him how u really feel about it and see what he says. HUGS dear
  • leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    Options
    I know that this is a support website for healthy choices and weight loss, but I'm not sure where else to turn. My husband and I have been together 6 years, married for 1, no children, two dogs and a house. Last night on the way home from dinner he told me that he has an appointment with a recruiter on Thursday. He wants to join the military. I have literally NOTHING to say. (if you all knew me better, you'd understand that me speechless is HUGE!) he wants to know "what i think" and keeps telling me all the great things available to us when he signs up. I know this isn't really the place to ask these questions, but I'm just....scared.

help. xoxo

Being in the Army for 11years now I would say that its a great decision on his part but you both need to be in agreement and understand that is going to be some tough times especially with deployments but for me all the benefits out weigh the downfalls. I am currently finishing up my BS in computer science and havent paid a dollar out of my own pocket for it and they actually pay me to go thats a huge plus.

Is he wanting to enlist on active duty or reserves?
  • kdet07
    kdet07 Posts: 117
    Options
    I think active duty, but I certainly don't understand the difference. My only experience with anything military was my college roommate's sweetheart/husband who did 4 years with the Marines.
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options

help. xoxo

You're understandably in shock! That's a big announcement, and with nothing really leading up to it, he just kind of lays it on you. I would suggest taking a step back, taking a few deep breaths and really thinking about how you feel about this.

There are some good benefits to being in the military, but there are also some tough ones. When he moves to a new place where he is stationed, you move too. And military families without children move more often than military families with children. Also, many families that have to move outside of the U.S. have to give up their pets because they cannot take them along.

He will eventually get deployed. He would be on a FOB (forward operating base) for 6-8 months alone and you would be home alone.

And, honestly, many people in the military do not get paid a lot. Why? Because the military provides so much they don't need to give you a huge salary in addition to food, housing, etc. And, in the event of a government shutdown, military paychecks can and will be delayed until a resolution is reached in Washington.

These are all things that you both have to consider. He should not make this decision on his own, and if you have concerns, you need to voice them. His joining the military might be the right choice for your family, but it needs to be a family choice.
  • aadams05
    aadams05 Posts: 20
    Options
    My husband and I got married right out of high school and he joined that was almost 6yrs ago. The military offers great benefits and although it is hard at times and its hard to see the light. I am greatful for our choice to stay in the military and I am very greatful and proud of what he does. If you go into the situation with a positive attitude and educate your self on the down falls and the high tops of what being a militray family is you guys will do great. Good luck with everything and if I can offer any advice or help at all feel free to message me or add me. :flowerforyou:
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    As a guy with 18 years of military service I've seen a lot of this sort of thing. The most important question in my opinion is this: how well are you each going to be able to handle extended periods of separation? You've been together for a while so that's a plus but look at yourselves honestly. I've seen wives who fall apart the moment we left the pier, didn't know how to balance the checkbook or turn the water off under the sink when the faucet broke. I've also seen guys who blew their paychecks in the bar at our first port call and then wondered why their wife was getting calls from bill collectors. I've seen spouses (both sexes) cheat, wipe out bank accounts, or simply get fed up and disappear while we were gone. I've seen guys get into incoherent fits of jealous rage just because their wife wasn't sitting by the phone at whatever odd hour he managed to get to the pay phone to call her. Joining the military is a noble thing to do and it is a sacrifice for you BOTH. It will be hard, painful and grossly unfair but you can make it less so by making absolutely sure what you are getting yourselves into and honestly assessing your ability to cope with it. Good luck.
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    My husband is active duty army. He works a lot, but luckily he is in a unit right now that doesn't deploy. So, that's a relief. It's a harder life than normal except (and a BIG except) for the fact you'll always have a paycheck, insurance, place to live, chain of command to help, life insurance for him, Montgomery GI bill. So if stability is what you're looking for, military is great. Only things that would threaten his stability in military is if he his overweight, out of shape, fails drug test, DUIs- and that's pretty much it. i mean there are other things, but those are the very obvious. So, there actually is a lot to think about. Try to talk to as many military people, military spouses as you can. Ask him questions. What kind of job he'd want to do, what the recruiter is telling him, where he might wanna go, if he'd want to retire and do his 20 or if he'd want to get out, etc. Ask all the questions you can. Honestly, sometimes recruiters do stretch the truth to get guys in, so be careful and do your research. My husband has been deployed for 15 months before, but they don't do 15 or more months anymore, only 12 at most. And, after Oct, the dwell time (time given at home between deployments) will be 2 years for a year of deployment. Good luck, hon. Feel free to add me or just msg me if you have anymore questions. :)
  • martincla
    martincla Posts: 3
    Options
    Hey,

Ive been in the RAF for 2 years now, and although I have yet to be deployed anywhere (my trade training lasts a year and 3 months!) I can tell you now that I would NEVER go back to a civvy job, its AMAZING what the military gives you, dental, health care, qualifications, a lot of support, structured fitness classes, and he will learn to actually clean things ;)

Are you from the UK or US, I havnt a clue what the US forces are like but the UK really look after you, its not like you see on TV, unless he joins Infantry and actually fights on the front line, though a lot of my Army friends are front line soldiers and few actually see action out in Afgan.

All I can say is you wont see him much throughout training, its very touch and you do get the odd weekend off but during that time you gotta realise he must stay focused on training. After basic, depending on what job he does, he will do trade training which is a lot more relaxed and he can come home every weekend.

How old is he if you dont mind me asking, and how old are you, joining the military has been the best decision of my life and I would recommend anyone that wants to do it to just go for it. When he starts his actual job he will mybe do say 2 years in Cyprus and then move back to the UK, the military pay for you to move out there with him, and u will get married quarters at a VERY reduced rate, go online and look at the info they have on there.

Any questions dont hesitate to ask :)
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    oh I have more. Sorry. lol..... I would suggest a branch lke navy or air force if he has a choice. They have higher standards of living than army and get treated better. Sometimes (notice I said sometimes) they get deployed to safer places than army does. Also, about deployments: he probably will deploy, but not definitely. i know people who have been in for years and never deployed. But, the poster who mentioned the separation has a HUGE point. You need to be able to handle it. I don't necessarily think that you HAVE to be able to, but if he is going in military you do. See what I mean? You're gonna be separated at times, even if he doesn't deploy. My husband is always training, or schools, or just traveling to show off US vehicles (he went to paris to a huge expo to guard and show off US tanks, trucks to other countries military's). Oh reserves only train once a month and go a week out of the year to work/train. Active duty is FULL TIME military. You will be stationed at/on a military installation. You don't have to live on base/post sometimes, but you do have to live close enough for him to get to work every day. Msg me if you have any questions at all! :)
  • BananaBee3
    BananaBee3 Posts: 224
    Options
    What branch is he interested in joining? I'm in the US Coast Guard (almost a year now) and love it! Coasties may get deployed to a few locations overseas, but most units are either cutters (giong on various patrol lengths: anywhere from a few days to a few months) or land units where members typically work 2-3 days on then 2-3 days off. You also need to specifically request to go to the units overseas.
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    As a guy with 18 years of military service I've seen a lot of this sort of thing. The most important question in my opinion is this: how well are you each going to be able to handle extended periods of separation? You've been together for a while so that's a plus but look at yourselves honestly. I've seen wives who fall apart the moment we left the pier, didn't know how to balance the checkbook or turn the water off under the sink when the faucet broke. I've also seen guys who blew their paychecks in the bar at our first port call and then wondered why their wife was getting calls from bill collectors. I've seen spouses (both sexes) cheat, wipe out bank accounts, or simply get fed up and disappear while we were gone. I've seen guys get into incoherent fits of jealous rage just because their wife wasn't sitting by the phone at whatever odd hour he managed to get to the pay phone to call her. Joining the military is a noble thing to do and it is a sacrifice for you BOTH. It will be hard, painful and grossly unfair but you can make it less so by making absolutely sure what you are getting yourselves into and honestly assessing your ability to cope with it. Good luck.

Ditto this. Hubs did 20 yrs in the USN and it was tough & rewarding at the same time. Good luck with whatever decision you guys make.
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    Can we please stick to answering the OP's questions and concerns. Political debate is not acceptable on the forums as it tends to cause arguments.

13) Topics about politics, religion, or sexuality are not allowed and will be deleted. This includes posting images or signatures. Unfortunately, we have seen that topics about either of these subjects are highly likely to result in heated arguments and disputes. If you really wish to discuss either of these topics, please google political forums, religious forums, etc. - there are plenty of other places to express your views.

Also, if someone posts a response that you find offensive please report it.

4) Do not attack/slam/insult other users. The forums are here so that members can help support one another. Attacks or insults against each other takes away from the supportive atmosphere and will not be tolerated. You can discuss the message or topic, but not the messenger - NO EXCEPTIONS. If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, YOU will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself, defending a friend, etc. are NOT excuses. Violations of this rule are taken very seriously and may result in being banned without warning! If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

If you have concerns about another poster or wish to report a rule violation, the ONLY appropriate venue is to use the Report Post feature or to message me. You may NOT air such concerns on the message boards themselves. If you have a general concern that does not involve a specific member, you may post your question in a civil manner in the "Feedback" or "Help" forums.

Thanks for your co - operation
    Ms_Natalie :flowerforyou:

MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
  • lemonychick
    lemonychick Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    WOW!
    You sound totally shocked by his announcement.......I guess he'll be feeling very anxious about his decision and your reaction to it as well. You owe it to both yourself and your husband to be totally honest with him when you talk about this........anything less will only cause trouble later.
    My heart goes out to you, and your husband, but you know what, the best life decisions are the tough ones to make! We wouldn't value anything if it came easy.
    Have courage and faith, your husband obviously has it in spades, and he chose you as his wife, so I'm guessing you have it in buckets too!
    Whatever decision you come to, do it as a team, and you probably can't go far wrong!
  • kdet07
    kdet07 Posts: 117
    Options
    thank you all so much for your responses! I'm going to try and answer EVERYONE'S questions.
    I'm 24, he's 23. I have a BA in biology, he has a HS diploma. Neither of us drink or smoke. No DUIs, arrests,etc.

We've been together since he was 17 and I was 18. When we got married, I was 23 and he was 22. His family lives 800 miles away, my family lives less than a mile away.

he's interested in the air force, and he said he hopes that he can find a career/direction since he's "not sure what do when he grows up" he said he's going to meet with the recruiter purely for informational purposes, that he hasn't made a decision yet. I think I'm so nervous because this is all greek to me.
  • hstallings13
    hstallings13 Posts: 306
    Options
    I had the same issues when my husband wanted to be a cop. I really didn't want it and I was terrified over him even thinking about it. For 10 years it was put off due to my fear. I finally realized that he didn't just want to be a cop, he was a cop when I caught him sneaking in an appliciation. It was then that I came to realize that I loved him for who he was and who he was was a cop, so I have learned to deal with the fear and worry because I love the man and it is part of him. Just some food for thought. It is a big decision for both of you, and in many ways more so for you. I will pray for y'all to be able to make the right decision for both of you.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    thank you all so much for your responses! I'm going to try and answer EVERYONE'S questions.
    I'm 24, he's 23. I have a BA in biology, he has a HS diploma. Neither of us drink or smoke. No DUIs, arrests,etc.

We've been together since he was 17 and I was 18. When we got married, I was 23 and he was 22. His family lives 800 miles away, my family lives less than a mile away.

he's interested in the air force, and he said he hopes that he can find a career/direction since he's "not sure what do when he grows up" he said he's going to meet with the recruiter purely for informational purposes, that he hasn't made a decision yet. I think I'm so nervous because this is all greek to me.

This brings up another aspect you need to consider. If he decides to go active duty (full time) it WILL require moving. How will that affect your job? Do you work for a big company that you can transfer to another office? I think you mentioned a house in your original post, will you be able to sell it? Can you deal with living 800 miles away from YOUR family? Are you prepared to move somewhere where you've never been, don't know ANYONE or even speak the language (if he goes overseas)?

I'm not trying to scare you but these are the things I've seen many times that people just don't consider when they sign up and it makes a tough situation even tougher.
  • casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    Options
    What branch is he interested in joining? I'm in the US Coast Guard (almost a year now) and love it! Coasties may get deployed to a few locations overseas, but most units are either cutters (giong on various patrol lengths: anywhere from a few days to a few months) or land units where members typically work 2-3 days on then 2-3 days off. You also need to specifically request to go to the units overseas.

That must be a change, because my stepdad's in the CG and he spent a year in Bahrain and he definitely didn't request it lol.

My husband is in the Navy so if you have any specific questions about spouse life you're welcome to message me. I see that he's interested in the Airforce, from my childhood of being a military brat and now a military spouse I personally feel the airforce is the best branch to go in in regards to their housing and treatment of families. The best thing you can do right now is go to the recruiters office with him and ask any questions that you want. The military is a great option to consider when you haven't fully figured out what you want to do, and it has great benefits, but it can also be really stressful on the family and the recruit.
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I think you should go to the recruiter with him. You will be able to ask the recruiter all the questions you have that your hubby will not be able to answer.

Personally I think what he wants to do is a wonderful thing. However, I think if he came to this decision before y'all were married and you choose to be a military wife is different than his deciding this after he has a wife. This is something the 2 of you should discuss together and pray about and take more than a few hours at the recruiter's office to decide.

The 2 of you are in a partnership now, so this is a together decision. It may be his life and body on the line, but a military spouse has BIG responsibilities as well.

Good luck to the 2 of you, I wish you all the best.:flowerforyou:
  • frostke
    frostke Posts: 21
    Options
    My boyfriend of going on four years is planning on going into the military after he graduates with his BA. I'm completely supportive of this because I can see how passionate he is about this. The only thing I asked of him was to keep me completely informed about everything and if I had a question to either find the answer or help me find the answer. I had a very serious talk with him that if he was expecting me to follow him as he made this career path that he needed to realize everything that I was giving up. My career, a stable life, having the one I love by my side every day for the rest of my life.

You have to be in this 100%. If not, it won't work. Also, make sure that this isn't just a spur of the moment idea that might be jumped into too quickly. Martin has been looking into the military and talking to recruiters and visiting bases for over a year now. Being informed is the best way to make those decisions both for him and for you.

Through this adventure Martin has lost over 60lbs and gained a lot of muscle, he's pretty serious about it all. He went from 355lbs down to under 290 in less than a year. (He's 6'10" haha) That's why I'm here. He has inspired me to get healthier.

He's looking into going into the Air Force or the Marines. I want Air Force, but it's his decision. It's scary every time I think about him joining, but honestly at this point I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm sure you never imagined that this could be your life, I know I didn't. If you ever need to vent myself along with countless others in your life are here to listen and be there for you.

:)