Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Lactose intolerant?

As people get older, many start to be unable to produce the lactase enzyme that breaks down lactose in cow's milk products. I think I may have reached that point in my life. I have been having some "tummy troubles," shall we say, and I think I've narrowed it down to milk. I threw out the rest of the milk I had last night and replaced it with soy milk. We'll see how it goes.

Anyone else in this situation?

Replies

• Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    You might also want to try almond or rice milk too. I have that problem and soy milk tends to make me feel 'phlegm-y' I don't have that issue with the others.
  • Monticello
    Monticello Posts: 16 Member
    I was about your age when it finally dawned on me that every time that I drank a milkshake I felt like my stomach was going to explode. I drank soy milk for years, but recently switched over to almond milk. I don't miss dairy at all.
  • shufie
    shufie Posts: 11
    i'm 26, and up until i was 23 i was fine with milk, milk products. but once i started having issues, i was able to narrow it down to that. i drink soy or almond milk, and actually prefer it to regular milk anyway. and lactaid is my best friend if i want to enjoy ice cream :)
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Taking probiotics for long periods of time can help that. You can buy then from any pharmacy.
  • Hottness4Lyfe
    Hottness4Lyfe Posts: 321 Member
    You might also want to try almond or rice milk too. I have that problem and soy milk tends to make me feel 'phlegm-y' I don't have that issue with the others.
    I agree....Soy builds up mucus alot like animal milk..... Good Luck!:drinker:
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    I was for about a year in a half. It began when I was over weight right before I started to lose the weight. Now I can drink reg. milk however, I stick with raw cows milk sometimes but mainly almond milk bc it's low in calories.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    I went though a phase during college. I was drinking several gallons a week. I started using lactaid or whatever the over the counter medicine is that helps. I was not willing to give up my milk and honestly did not know about the other options on the milk front. I got better and now enjoy my milk and milk products!
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Taking probiotics for long periods of time can help that. You can buy then from any pharmacy.

That's a good idea. Yogurt doesn't bother me because of the probiotics.
  • mrsway
    mrsway Posts: 88 Member
    The same thing happened to me when I was about 20, all of a sudden certain dairy products would really upset my stomach. I have used the almond milk which I much prefer to soy, but lactaid doesn't really help me any. I have found (through trial and error) that it isn't all dairy, just the higher fat content dairy that upsets me. I can have skim milk, low fat cheese (like mozzarella) but no ice cream, whipped cream, or really anything with "cream" or high fat in the dairy products
  • powerpuffgirl66
    powerpuffgirl66 Posts: 143 Member
    You are preaching to the choir! I began developing a lactose-intolerance a few years ago. I am 28 now. However, I also found that soy milk upset my stomach and I'm not a fan of drinking rice or almond milk on its own. Try lactose-free milk! It tastes just like regular milk and leaves my tummy happy!
  • webbed1
    webbed1 Posts: 86
    Severely! I can only consume lactose free milk, ensures, specifically lactose free protein powders, not just low. Keeps me away from pizza other than once in a while. I can eat cottage cheese though.