preparing for a 10k sept 28, 2008

Options
So I am training to run a 10k at the end of the month and well not doing so good thus far. I wouldn't call myself a runner, but I used to run last year. Infact the same race. I quit running because I had orthomandibular surgery and I had no energy to work out. I was able to run it in under an hour last year. So far I am barely running 5 miles in an hour. I have less than two weeks. Anyone have any tips for increasing my mileage in a short amount of time? I'm not trying to be the fastest, but it would be nice to finish in under an hour like last year. I am running it with my bff and my cousin. It is the Great Race-Pittsburgh, PA.

Replies

• vonalj
    vonalj Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    So I am training to run a 10k at the end of the month and well not doing so good thus far. I wouldn't call myself a runner, but I used to run last year. Infact the same race. I quit running because I had orthomandibular surgery and I had no energy to work out. I was able to run it in under an hour last year. So far I am barely running 5 miles in an hour. I have less than two weeks. Anyone have any tips for increasing my mileage in a short amount of time? I'm not trying to be the fastest, but it would be nice to finish in under an hour like last year. I am running it with my bff and my cousin. It is the Great Race-Pittsburgh, PA.
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    If you're running 5 miles now, you'll be able to run 6.2 on the day. I wouldn't be trying to increase your mileage between now and the race as it'll be of pretty much no benefit and may end up in injury. Keep consistently running between then and now and take a couple of days off before the race so you'll store up some energy.

(Next time try and give yourself more preparation time and find a training plan.)

Either way, g'luck! Enjoy yourself and try to NOT think about your finishing time.:smile:
  • dantheman777
    Options
    Like paulamma1 stated, if you can run 5, you should be able to complete 6.2. You might not finish in an hour, but you can finish.

One thing you may want to try is a run/walk cycle. For example, run 3 minutes, walk 1 minute, repeat. Those times aren't set in stone, but a 3:1 cycle seems to work for a lot of people. You may be surprised how much difference it can make to take that short break. It will also give you enough rest you will make up for the time lost walking by running at a faster pace than if you ran straight through the race.

If you "google" Jeff Galloway, you'll find lots of information on this method for people starting to train for long distance runs.
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    I love that you are excited to set goals and get out there! Keep us updated girlie! You can do it! :flowerforyou: