Is it ok to not weigh?

Options
I'm pretty inspired by all the great successes, large and small victories I'm seeing on this board. I've been here for just under a week and started dieting/exercise before that. I have about 40-50 pounds to lose to hit an ultimate goal (i know this from past experience not becuase i've stepped anywher near a scale). I have however, had a very bad relationship with the scale. It discourages me when i'm working so hard and I either stop trying or worse yet, in the past have resorted to some very unhealthy eating behaviours. So, I'm wondering if it's ok if I use my clothes as my scale and skip the weigh ins? Thoughts??? Opinions?

Replies

• slimrb2011
    slimrb2011 Posts: 122
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY!!! The scale is just one (and not the most accurate) way to measure your weightloss/gain. Go with how your clothes fit and how you feel. Use a measuring tape if you want but not using a scale is definately okay!
  • CRmom2
    CRmom2 Posts: 73
    Options
    For sure!! I weight myself and measure...I find the measuring to be more motivational because many people shed the inches faster than the pounds!! Do what is going to help you the most!
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Let me start by saying that, of course, you have to do what works for you.

That said...when I started this time I didn't weigh myself for at least a month. BIG mistake. I almost gave up because although I guessed I weighed about 210lbs when I started dieting this time, when I got on the scale and still weiged about 206lbs I cried for days (I think the answer was that I weighed a fair bit more than 210 when I started).

I also found it very difficult to keep up the motivation without weighing myself. It took me around 30lbs of weight loss for it to really be noticeable and for my clothes to be obviously too big. For me, that was way to long to go without some other idea of what was happening.

As an alternative - you could try measuring yourself - I've also done that and in those times when the weight's been really grumpy about moving I've found it really useful as the cms often have moved regardless of what the scale said.

If you really want to steer clear of all measuring, you could go with a fitness goal (do a 5K or a 10K or a sponsored swim or cycle or something else that interests you).

Good luck!
  • heatherleigh12
    Options
    Yes!!! you are doing this for you some times the number on the scale dose not show how haed you work and is staying away from it is what works for you than that is what you should do...... keep up the good work
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Absolutely it is okay not to weigh. But really, some advice...maybe set a goal to NEVER be discouraged. Make that a daily goal. You are on a journey to good health, or else you wouldn't be here. Don't worry about scales if you don't want to deal with it, but try to focus on positive choices. If you make mistakes, do NOT let the mistakes stop you. As long as you are above ground and breathing you still got a shot at it. Pick a goal and then live in the NOW and let NOTHING and NOBODY get in your way to getting there!
  • sculptandtone
    sculptandtone Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Thanks! The measuring tape is a great idea and I think I will try that in addition to the "clothes" test.