Where did these 6 pounds come from?

Options
Strange – Can’t understand what happened.

On Thursday morning I weighed 186 lbs. I was scheduled for surgery Friday morning so I couldn’t eat much solid food the day before.

I had ½ cup oatmeal and 3 cups of cooked spinach for breakfast, 2 cups chicken noodle soup for lunch, protein shake for a snack, bean soup broth / stock for dinner, 7 or 8 cups of hot green tea and plenty of water.

I drank three 10 oz. bottles of magnesium citrate oral solution.

I weighed 192 lbs. on Friday morning and I weighed 192 lbs Sunday morning after eating hardly anything on Friday and a hospital menu on Saturday.

Where did these 6 lbs come from?

Replies

• Poniesarepretty
    Poniesarepretty Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, could be water retention. Sounds like you had a several portions of stock (tons of salt!) and soup (even the low sodium kind has a high salt ratio). Try drinking more than the usual water requirement to get the salt out of your system. Don't worry, you will be back to normal in a day or two. Hope this helps!
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Did you have an IV? When I go to the hospital for my migraines I get an IV and ALWAYS gain 5 - 9 lbs from it. Takes three days to a week for the fluids to drain out.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Anything they pumped into you during the surgery could have caused retention. Also your body retains water in order to help you heal from injuries (surgery would be a BIG injury). Give it a week or 2, then re-weigh. Let yourself heal before getting back into it.
  • DrHDLM
    DrHDLM Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    That's probably water retention do to surgery. May i ask what kind of surgery did you got?
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, could be water retention. Sounds like you had a several portions of stock (tons of salt!) and soup (even the low sodium kind has a high salt ratio). Try drinking more than the usual water requirement to get the salt out of your system. Don't worry, you will be back to normal in a day or two. Hope this helps!

ditto :)
  • nlsalvatore
    nlsalvatore Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Maybe sodium from the soup?
  • oyvonnee
    oyvonnee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    A nurse or doc could probably answer the best. But a couple of guesses I have.... It depends on what kind of surgery you had. When I had major surgery they pumped gas into my abodomen so they could 'see' better. It caused me to swell up like the pillsbury dough boy. Also they put a lot of fluids into me via IV that contained sugars. The 3rd thing I've noticed is when I'm in pain, I swell up and become tense and have trouble sleeping -- all things that don't help with weight loss.

I thnk you'll find the 6 pounds are temporary and will come off easily once your body heals.

Hope that helps! Best of success to you! Yvonne
  • Rodneymc4
    Rodneymc4 Posts: 62
    Options
    Thanks for the input!

I had a hemorrhoidectomy and a prerequisite for me going home was I had to pee. After I was unable to pee for more than eight hours and bags of IV's I was given a catheter and forced to stay until I could go on my own. Hopefully it's just water retention cuz I was trying everything I could to go on my own.

Thanks again, this helped..they gave me bags and bags of saline solution plus all the magnesium citrate I drank before the procedure. I've been working too hard to gain 6 pounds from nowhere.