Why wont this weight leave....

Options
I don't understand...I have been working out consistently 5 to 6 days a week doing Ripped in 30 and running for 3 weeks and eating pretty well and I have not lost anything. There are a couple days that I didn't log but I know I didn't go totally crazy and am not doing anything different than I have in the past. Since I started MFP I have always had at least one or two meals on the weekend that I don't log and are cheat meals but I have never gone overly crazy. At the end of last year I was 6lbs lighter than I am now. Then I got sick for a couple months and gained it back. Now I can't lose it. This is so frustrating. I have a week to go before I can take my after measurements for Ripped in 30. Any thoughts?

Replies

• electraglide1998
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat, maybe that could explain it?
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories?

Are you drinking all of your water?
  • mrtentaclenun
    mrtentaclenun Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You may be surprised when you take your measurements that you've lost inches. Since muscle weighs more than fat my bet would be you've been building muscle while doing ripped in 30 as well as burning fat, so the number on the scale doesn't move but you're really getting smaller? Did you take before pictures? That may help to see a difference next week when you measure again. I hope this helps, good luck and keep up the good work! Don't give up :)
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Diary is closed sorry no clue....but its probably an oversight regarding calories and sodium
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    You should open your diary so people can make suggestions.
    If you are not eating enough and exercising a lot your body may be holding on to the calories because it is not getting enough. They call it starvation mode. Or it could be you are gaining muscle.
  • WeightLossExperiment
    Options
    Your body may have become more efficient in burning calories depending on how long you've been at the level of exercise you are doing. Try changing up your routine and challenge your body in a new way. I can't view your food diary, but make sure you are getting a big breakfast with plenty of protein. This will rev up your body to burn calories throughout the day instead of conserving energy for your next workout. Good luck! There is usually a reason why our bodies plateau... it's just a matter of finding out what it is.
  • busygirl1
    busygirl1 Posts: 217
    Options
    You don't have much to shift so it will be hard. you have to be really dedicated to your calories! You are working out alot so are you perhaps seeing inch loss? I lost around 5cm all over when I did the 30 day shred for a month and lost no weight at all. The inches were worth it though. Stick with it x
  • randilea
    randilea Posts: 140
    Options

I get at least 8-10 glasses a day and I watch my sodium intake. I typically don't eat back my exercise calories. Should I be...and if so how many of them?
  • randilea
    randilea Posts: 140
    Options
    Sorry, forgot my diary is only open to friends...it has now been changed.
  • WeightLossExperiment
    Options
    I did a round of P90X and didn't lose more than 5 lbs during that time. Then an old knee and hip injury flared up and I had to stop (for now). Once I had to focus solely on my diet and watching my caloric intake, I lost just shy of 10 lbs in 3 weeks. It's all about balance and finding the right combination to work with your body. Just don't give up! You'll figure it out. :)
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,738 Member
    Options
    I don't understand...I have been working out consistently 5 to 6 days a week doing Ripped in 30 and running for 3 weeks and eating pretty well and I have not lost anything. There are a couple days that I didn't log but I know I didn't go totally crazy and am not doing anything different than I have in the past. Since I started MFP I have always had at least one or two meals on the weekend that I don't log and are cheat meals but I have never gone overly crazy. At the end of last year I was 6lbs lighter than I am now. Then I got sick for a couple months and gained it back. Now I can't lose it. This is so frustrating. I have a week to go before I can take my after measurements for Ripped in 30. Any thoughts?
    Try eating "really" well instead of "pretty" well. Go a couple of weeks logging everything and not having a cheat meal or two. Consistency in your eating is more important than consistency in your workouts when it comes to fat loss. I would try not to worry too much about your after measurements in a week, but think about where you'll be long term if you really clean up your eating. Good luck!
  • WeightLossExperiment
    Options
    Based on your food diary for the past week, if more of your days were like Wednesday June 1, 2011, you'd be rockin'!!!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,738 Member
    Options

I get at least 8-10 glasses a day and I watch my sodium intake. I typically don't eat back my exercise calories. Should I be...and if so how many of them?
    Personally, I'd eat them all back. I think you're better off giving yourself adequate fuel rather than trying to cut back too much and then making up for it with cheat meals. Be honest with yourself and accurate with your logging. Being diligent pays off, and if you really track accurately, it's so much easier to tweak what you're doing if necessary. It takes a little discipline, but it's actually easier than winging it once you get into the habit.
  • fitnezrox
    fitnezrox Posts: 41
    Options
    You need to eat really lean and clean. Because you only have a small amount of weight to lose, you are going to have to work hard at getting that last bit off. Lots of lean protein, and vegetables some fruits and grains. No white foods, all whole grains, watch your sodium (yours is extremely high most days, I try and keep mine at 1500 per day) and sugar intake as well as how many carbs you take in, they will all hold onto the pounds. Change your workout up often and make sure to include cardio as well as strength training and stretching like yoga, pilates or tai chi. Drink at least 1 gallon of water per day. It takes 3500 calories burned to rid 1# of fat.....that can be done by exercise, and calorie deficit combined. Make sure you check your caloric intake and how many calories you burned that day so you do have a deficit each day. example: If you are on a 2,000 calorie a day diet and through exercise you burn 500 calories off, you do that every single day, by the end of the week you should lose 1#. You should not go under 1200 calories per day (your body needs at least that just to exist, you want your metabolism to stay steady throughout the day, not eating lowers its functionality and throws your body into energy conservation thus burning less calories all day. Eating small meals throughout the day ramps up your metabolism and gives the body fuel throughout the day burning more calories every day).

As for muscle weighing more than fat.......sorry guys.....a pound is a pound is a pound, regardless of what you are weighing........and the scale does not lie...you weigh what you weigh. However......muscle is more dense than fat, which is why you will lose inches. If you think of fat like cotton balls and muscle like a brick, when you weigh out 1# of each look at the volume difference......a pound of cotton balls is a lot of mass where a pound of brick is condensed.

I was a certified fitness trainer and lifestyle weight management consultant for 9 years so I am not just spewing info at you guys, I really do know what I am talking about.

Have a healthy and happy day all
    Kim
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    You need to eat really lean and clean. Because you only have a small amount of weight to lose, you are going to have to work hard at getting that last bit off. Lots of lean protein, and vegetables some fruits and grains. No white foods, all whole grains, watch your sodium (yours is extremely high most days, I try and keep mine at 1500 per day) and sugar intake as well as how many carbs you take in, they will all hold onto the pounds. Change your workout up often and make sure to include cardio as well as strength training and stretching like yoga, pilates or tai chi. Drink at least 1 gallon of water per day. It takes 3500 calories burned to rid 1# of fat.....that can be done by exercise, and calorie deficit combined. Make sure you check your caloric intake and how many calories you burned that day so you do have a deficit each day. example: If you are on a 2,000 calorie a day diet and through exercise you burn 500 calories off, you do that every single day, by the end of the week you should lose 1#. You should not go under 1200 calories per day (your body needs at least that just to exist, you want your metabolism to stay steady throughout the day, not eating lowers its functionality and throws your body into energy conservation thus burning less calories all day. Eating small meals throughout the day ramps up your metabolism and gives the body fuel throughout the day burning more calories every day).

As for muscle weighing more than fat.......sorry guys.....a pound is a pound is a pound, regardless of what you are weighing........and the scale does not lie...you weigh what you weigh. However......muscle is more dense than fat, which is why you will lose inches. If you think of fat like cotton balls and muscle like a brick, when you weigh out 1# of each look at the volume difference......a pound of cotton balls is a lot of mass where a pound of brick is condensed.

I was a certified fitness trainer and lifestyle weight management consultant for 9 years so I am not just spewing info at you guys, I really do know what I am talking about.

Have a healthy and happy day all
    Kim

THIS. A pound of feathers vs a pound of bricks... both are pound. One is just more dense than the other.

Yes try to eat back some of your exercise calories... you might be surprised at what happens. I try to eat back 50%+ of my exercise carbs but try to ensure that it's lean proteins and carbs.