"Water" or "Liquids"?

Options
I'm confused. Is it 8 glasses of WATER per day or is it 8 glasses of LIQUIDS per day?

I mean, if I drink two cups of black coffee, one cup of peppermint tea, two glasses of milk and three glasses of water, am I done or do I have to drink another 5 glasses of water...

Replies

• Monica_in_MO
    Monica_in_MO Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have always counted water only. A lot of calorie free drinks (tea, coffee, and crystal light for example) are diuretics (sp?) so they actually work against hydrating your body. I still drink those I just don't consider them in my water calculations.
  • SarahWrittenThin
    SarahWrittenThin Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Water, you can track the rest of your liquids in another category in your diary perhaps though.
  • penny5
    penny5 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    It's my understanding that it's pure water. I think it's OK to add a wedge of lemon but pure water is supposed to cleanse your body the best. I struggle with my eight glasses every day :)
  • carmeng64
    carmeng64 Posts: 1
    Options
    8 glasses of water 8 ounces each
    :smile:
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    8 glasses of water, not including other liquids. It seems like a lot at first, but it's great for keeping your system functioning properly. I'm having no problem drinking more than 8 now and I'm starting to almost crave it! :drinker:
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    you will get both sides of this argument.

Some say WATER ONLY.
    Some say ANY liquid.
    Then there's the in between version that I use.
    I count tea, decaf coffee and any zero cal sparkling water type beverage.
    I count it even if I put crystal light in it, after all, it was just plain water 5 seconds ago before I added it, right?

I DON'T count milk, that is more of a food than a hydrating drink due to protein, carbs, and calorie content.

I count half of my caffeinated beverages since I have heard some say caffeine dehydrates you and some say the diuretic effect is negligible. To find the happy medium, if I drink a 16 oz caffeinated beverage I will count it as 1 instead of 2 because of the caffeine.

SO based on your previous scenario, I would say 5 down 3 to go.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't count soda, don't drink coffee, but do count the upwards of a gallon of water I drink daily with Crystal Light or Propel mix added. I count Gatorade, too, if I have it.
  • Mightytaco84
    Mightytaco84 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Plain and simple, water. Depending on your weight, you might need to drink more than 64 oz.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Just water. I have an additional category in my diary named "Drinks" where I track either 'good for me' drinks or calorific drinks.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Liquids.

I think caffeine is only a diuretic when taken in large doses.

"Caffeine has diuretic properties when administered in sufficient doses to subjects who do not have a tolerance for it.[9] Regular users, however, develop a strong tolerance to this effect,[9] and studies have generally failed to support the common notion that ordinary consumption of caffeinated beverages contributes significantly to dehydration.[10][11][12]"
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    Liquids.

I think caffeine is only a diuretic when taken in large doses.

"Caffeine has diuretic properties when administered in sufficient doses to subjects who do not have a tolerance for it.[9] Regular users, however, develop a strong tolerance to this effect,[9] and studies have generally failed to support the common notion that ordinary consumption of caffeinated beverages contributes significantly to dehydration.[10][11][12]"

Agreed, the medical professionals I've spoken to regarding it have all said that research is changing on how much a soda, coffee, tea, etc. counts towards water...
    Tea is the best - roughly 90% of it counts towards water.
    The others can be counted at 50% no problem...

Truth of the matter is - every liquid (save milk maybe) can be counted as water as generally water makes up the largest percentage of it...

The argument has always been more based on the fact that your body has to "filter" the other things out of the liquid with some of the water consumed, thus negating it.
    The thing is - the body does that ANYWAY - so adding more liquids is ok lol

I don't count them myself... Why? At my current weight and activity level I need about 12 glasses of water a day.
    I shoot for 8-10 glasses of actual "water" with MiO added and then I figure I get the extra "water" I need through other liquids - but I do track those liquid in my Food Diary...

Some people will complain about adding ANYTHING other than a little fruit essence to your water... Hang in there - if you are struggling with water consumption check out MiO or Crystal Light (Found I MUCH preferred MiO to C.L. or the other powders)... The important thing is getting the liquid in some form or fashion with at least part of it as close to water only as possible :):)

The fact you are asking demonstrates your desire to succeed and achieve the success you desire. That is outstanding and something you should be proud of and use to keep moving towards your goal!!!
    C.J.
  • mjemerson
    mjemerson Posts: 141
    Options
    I always count it as just water!! I drink diet soda and coffee also but never include that in the "cups of water" counter.
  • kittytompsett
    Options
    I usually add coffee, tea, juice etc in my diary. I log water and herbal tea's in water.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I only count water, but lots of people count tea as long as it is caffeine free/unsweetened. I do log everything in my food diary, but only count water.
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Coffee counts as it has wonderful health benefits to those who drink it. It's not really a diuretic. Regular coffee drinkers with healthy bladders don't go to the bathroom any more then those who don't drink coffee. Green Tea is the same you can count it as water intake because just like coffee its flavor added water. I wouldn't count soda as that stuff is the same as pancake syrup in sugar content. In fact soda pop is a syrup. You also get alot of water from fruits and vegetables. I only count water as i above all will get 8 to 10 glasses in a days time on top of all my other water intake sources.