Stomache exercises that create vertical lines but not horizo

Options
Helice
Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
Okay so...

Iv been doing P90 for a while now and have just started P90X Lean..
But the problem i have is that i don't want to look like the girls in the videos...

They all have very muscley arms, very muscley legs, and big 6 packs..
What i want is closer to being 'skinny fat', than it is being 'fit'.
I do want muscle in my arms.. But i dont want to be hench.
I do want a tiny bit of muscle in my legs... But i don't want it to be very see-able..

But my biggest problem the thing i need help with is my belly...
What i want with my belly is to have the verticle line that goes down the middle...
I want it to be very defined..
And i also want 2 slightly faded verticle lines at the side of my belly...
But i DO NOT want the horizontal lines... So i don't want my belly to have like box abs.. IF you get what i mean..

Anyway i need help!
Does anyone know of any exercises that just create the verticle lines down your belly.
And dont form the horizontal lines across your belly?

Also does anyone know a way i can get less muscle by exercising..
For instance im using the lightest weight i can find as too not build up too much muscle..
But i mean for my legs should i skip the P90X leg workouts? etc??

Any help would be greatly appreciated..
Especially on the stomache exercises.
Thanks.

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    The girls in the videos worked very very had for that look.

Very hard..
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    sweetheart, that's just not the way our bodies work. if you're going to work out like the girls on p90x, you will start to look like them. they got where they are by doing that type of intense, sustained work out. if you're looking to look like you're skinny fat, you're pretty much going to have to be skinny fat. even actresses and supermodels have muscle definition and they're very slim on the whole.

if you want your belly to be defined you're going to have to build muscle and then burn off fat so you can see that muscle. you will start to see the 6 pack with the horizontal lines because that is the way our muscles are made.

you can't really have it both ways, sorry :/
  • calthine
    calthine Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    P90 is an intense muscle-building workout, I'd change workouts! You do need to build lean muscle to replace the fat you're losing, but you do not have to become a hard-core muscle-monkey. Go to a gym, see a trainer for advice.

Also remember that the people in the videos are "pumped" and most folks don't look that muscle-y when at rest.
  • SherryHam
    SherryHam Posts: 7
    Options
    I don't think you need to worry. Most of us have a natural layer of fat that actually makes it incredibly difficult to display those muscle lines. That ripped look only comes with extreme workouts and a diet that minimizes fats. You can more than likely do all the weight lifting you want and still not end up looking like that. However, you could bulk up if you lifted very heavy weights, so you should probably continue to avoid that.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    The girls in the videos worked very very had for that look.

Very hard..

When i was writing the post i never felt like i was being *****y.
    they do look great, that's just not how i want to look myself..
    I never meant it that way,.
    I didn't want to offend anyone, or put anyone down..
    I feel like a right ***** now =[
  • nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Those girls are fitness models. Their job is to look defined and with muscles. They do more than just P90whatever to get like that. Don't worry about it. It's really really hard for a woman to get that look and super hard to maintain it.

Also, those vertical lines pop up the quickest if you're working out. I have them and I still have a lot of fat on my belly. It's like a weird pot belly thing I got going on right now because my obliques are so defined. lol
  • RDH0513
    RDH0513 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should eat stuff like doritos, ice cream, white pasta, etc. all the time and not work out, maybe you can get the look you are going for then :)
  • Vanny_N
    Vanny_N Posts: 1
    Options
    Helice,

Coming from someone who is very naturally slim and lifts weights, it takes A LOT of hard work to "look muscley." I can't emphasize "A LOT" enough. Don't worry about lifting the lightest weights bc even if you lift heavier, you won't look muscley, if anything, you'll look even better and more tone. And diet is the number one solution to any sort of ab definition.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Read this article, it explains it really well, much better than I ever could.

http://bretcontreras.com/how-to-attain-a-slender-look-like-jessica-alba-zoe-saldana/
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Planking, I have seen that make the vertical lines without horizontal on abs.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Maybe you should eat stuff like doritos, ice cream, white pasta, etc. all the time and not work out, maybe you can get the look you are going for then :)

Seriously, how is this helpful, clever or cute? The OP specifically asked about vertical not horizontal lines. I don't think that's too much to ask. All you have to say is how difficult it truly is to achieve the 6 pack. Or maybe say nothing if you're feeling like putting someone down.

Y3WeZHL.gif
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    ZOMBIE THREAD!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Okay so...

Iv been doing P90 for a while now and have just started P90X Lean..
    But the problem i have is that i don't want to look like the girls in the videos...

They all have very muscley arms, very muscley legs, and big 6 packs..
    What i want is closer to being 'skinny fat', than it is being 'fit'.
    I do want muscle in my arms.. But i dont want to be hench.
    I do want a tiny bit of muscle in my legs... But i don't want it to be very see-able..

But my biggest problem the thing i need help with is my belly...
    What i want with my belly is to have the verticle line that goes down the middle...
    I want it to be very defined..
    And i also want 2 slightly faded verticle lines at the side of my belly...
    But i DO NOT want the horizontal lines... So i don't want my belly to have like box abs.. IF you get what i mean..

Anyway i need help!
    Does anyone know of any exercises that just create the verticle lines down your belly.
    And dont form the horizontal lines across your belly?

Also does anyone know a way i can get less muscle by exercising..
    For instance im using the lightest weight i can find as too not build up too much muscle..
    But i mean for my legs should i skip the P90X leg workouts? etc??

Any help would be greatly appreciated..
    Especially on the stomache exercises.
    Thanks.

Loose skin
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised no one's said this--not everyone's abs look the same. All you can really do to achieve more defined abs is drop body fat %--which, if you're purposely aiming for "skinny fat," is probably not going to come about if you're aiming to slough off LBM. Even if you get to a point where you get "lines," they might not look exactly like someone else's.

Not sure what you mean by, "I want to look skinny fat" though. Do you want to look like a P90x model (higher LBM, lower body fat %) or Kate Moss (low LBM, low body fat %)?

Edit: DAMMIT I DIDN'T EVEN NOTICE THE NECROMANCY.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    This is all about genetics and bodyfat.

I've worked my bloody *kitten* off to get to where I am now. Am I too "toned"? I'm just curious to know because I can try to give you some type of guidance.

My best suggestion, if you don't want to bulk, stay away from crunches/situps/etc. You want more stability - planks, rotations, etc.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you don't want a lot of muscle, then P90X may be the wrong workout. I'd suggest something like Turbo Fire or Insanity (staying in the BB line), which use body weight and resistance bands for strength training. The plyometrics are great calorie burning cardio, and there is still plenty of strength training to prevent muscle loss.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Twerking Twerkout?
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i think it might be genetics, cos i have the vertical like and my tummy isnt exactly flat, and i have no vertical lines
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    1. Get a strong core, overall.
    2. Achieve a low BF%.
    3. If you don't like how your muscles look, blame your genetics. Not everyone's muscles look the same. I have a very deep vertical line, as you can see in my pix, but I did nothing special to achieve it. I lift heavy, compound lifts 3x per week and do very little accessory for my core. I try to add in hanging leg raises (20 front, 20 oblique) or planks (5 mins total of front and oblique) after each lifting session, but I don't always get to it.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    10/10 Would resurrect

tumblr_m9k1byis2q1qj5e8po1_500.gif