How do you like your cottage cheese?

Options
amyhollar
amyhollar Posts: 107 Member
Hi everyone- I have never been a fan of cottage cheese but it is a good natural source of protein so I bought some this week and I need ideas on how to eat it! All ideas no matter how simple or complex will be appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I try to eat it and just can't. There isn't much I can't eat but cottage cheese............ just can't.
    Maybe if I see a recipe on here I'll try it again. I would like to be able to eat it plain with fruit or something though to get the max benefit.
  • andipandi
    andipandi Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    With fresh apricots is my favorite...im eating it right now...mmmmm....
  • SarahWrittenThin
    SarahWrittenThin Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    jam
    splenda and cinnamon
    mixed with fruit
    on a wrap or salad
    mxed into pasta
  • mvln
    mvln Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Try mixing it with cantaloupe cubes and a little bit sugar free maple syrup. Serve cold. Yummy!
  • bethyfoofoo
    Options
    With fruit. Pineapple and peaches are my favorite. Yum!
  • rowdymcrowdy
    Options
    I know it sounds kinda funky but I add 2 tbsp of light thousand island dressing and mix it all up--I've told others about it and they seem to like it
  • mimalima
    mimalima Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Topped with peaches, a little granola cereal and cinnamon. Love it!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I like it plain. You could try pineapple, maybe some splenda or berries.
  • ktc33
    ktc33 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I like to put it on a baked potato instead of butter.
  • jknoell
    jknoell Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of cottage cheese either, but I AM a fan of chips and salsa with sour cream. What I've traded chips and salsa for is veggies and cottage cheese mixed with salsa. Mix (to taste) cottage cheese with your favorite salsa and dip your veggies in it! I've alse eaten these with triscuits and wheat thins - very delicious and much healthier than my previous dip! Not exactly the same, but the strong taste of the salsa really distracts you from the taste and texture of the cottage cheese. High protein snack!
  • marrtini
    marrtini Posts: 75
    Options
    if you like sweet, you can add a little bit of sugar free jam (keeps the calories down) or regular jam if its not a problem for you.

You can add salsa or any kind of fruit and or granola.

I personally love cottage cheese and eat it a lot, my personal favourite mix is pineapple and cottage cheese, if you can't stomach it, you can always blend it into a shake or mac and cheese that you make yourself or into soups and potatoes you can heat it up and break it down or you can just blend it up and make it smooth. Its great just the way it comes, but be a little bit adventurous there really isn't much that doens't go with cottage cheese!

Hope that helps, Enjoy!
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese! I only get the 4% fat though if I'm going to eat it plain or with fruit because the texture of the lowfat and nonfat ones I can't stomach. The 4% fat is so creamy and yummy - the calories aren't much higher and I just account for them in my daily allowance.

Now if I'm going to cook with it, I will get either nonfat or lowfat. I only use cottage cheese in my lasagnas or spaghetti pie dishes rather than ricotta. I can't tell the difference and neither can my family or others I will have over for a meal.

Try the higher fat brand if you haven't already - maybe it will be the same for you as it was for me!
  • LushLoni
    LushLoni Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I use it in frittatas and omelettes, with baked potatoes, chilli con carne....
  • ruffledviolet
    Options
    I like it anywhere besides in my mouth. Sometimes I like to wear it on my nose. Other times I like to throw it into my little brother's hair. Personally, I think it's just fine sitting in it's container in the grocery store.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese! I only get the 4% fat though if I'm going to eat it plain or with fruit because the texture of the lowfat and nonfat ones I can't stomach. The 4% fat is so creamy and yummy - the calories aren't much higher and I just account for them in my daily allowance.

Now if I'm going to cook with it, I will get either nonfat or lowfat. I only use cottage cheese in my lasagnas or spaghetti pie dishes rather than ricotta. I can't tell the difference and neither can my family or others I will have over for a meal.

Try the higher fat brand if you haven't already - maybe it will be the same for you as it was for me!

Is it better for you than ricotta? I could do that in a veggie lasagna.
  • Cougargirl50
    Options
    I like to eat with with a teaspoon of apple butter... YUM
  • sgriener
    sgriener Posts: 2
    Options
    Onion powder or fresh chives with diced fresh roma tomatoes...yummmmmm
  • reeldancer
    reeldancer Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have always loved cottage cheese but it has to be small curd (I like beakstone's) and I mix in some Catalina dressing. It adds a nice zing :)
  • reeldancer
    reeldancer Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Double post.
  • AntoinetteC
    AntoinetteC Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I like my cottage cheese with ground pepper on it. Yummy.