fat-positive, health-positive, anti-diet??

Options
So I am a woman with very radical politics from Baltimore City. I am 26, fat positive, health positive, and anti-"diet". I think women of EVERY size are beautiful - size 3, 13, or 30... you're gorgeous! What I'm not down with is diabetes, wheezing to get up the stairs, and not being able to find good pants that actually fit! I don't think you have to be under a size 16 to be sexy, but it sure as H is easier to find clothes in the 16 and under category. I can't find much of anything in my style, and in a size 24 pants that really fit and aren't made of flimsy denim AND under $30 a pair are next to impossible to come by!

I'm just here for support to get healthy! I want to eat better, not less! I need others to motivate me to put away the disgusting god-knows-whats-actually-in-it processed food and opt for something REAL (organic, from the earth... not plastic, chemical filled, and full of fat - exactly how does McD's get 30g of fat into a salad?? lol). I don't want to start a "diet", I want to lose a healthy amount of weight at an average pace so I can keep it off. I want to learn how to eat healthy forever, not just until the weight is off so I can eat crap food again!

My motives are:
a) more clothing selection (true story)
b) less not-so-sexy huff-n-puff when going up hill, upstairs, or while walking to the store
c) no more plantar fasciitis (my feet are in excruciating pain daily because the ligaments can't handle the pressure of my body weight... sexy huh??)

Replies

• dian1227
    dian1227 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Kiddo, you sound like you got it all together, good luck and consider us friends...

Diane
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I like your attitude, but please do know that *eventually* your weight will catch up with you healthwise. I sent you a friend request.
  • crackerjack345
    crackerjack345 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You're on the right track! MFP is a great place for it!! There's a lot of people out there with a very different opinion about things, but I am totally with you. Just be prepared for the hard times and whatever you do DON'T GIVE UP! You got this girl!

I have problems with plantar fasciitis, as well, and it is so painful and debilitating. Same thing with the clothes shopping. It's torture. I'm feeling much better since I'm -30 lbs, but still have a long way to go.

Friend me if you'd like and we can support each other on this journey. :~)
  • allystone
    allystone Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Definetely going to add you! I love your spirit! ;)
  • crackerjack345
    crackerjack345 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Oops. Double posted on accident and it won't let me delete. :~p
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I am totally with you! I have embraced my body at every size but truly love clothes. And my size goal I think will be reached before my "ideal" weight.

I went into this to simply make better choices in what I eat, and to learn what a serving size really is for the "bad" foods I still chose to eat. I still eat out, I still eat ice cream, I just do it in different portions now :)

I sent you a friends request. And always feel free to check out my diary!
  • PandaFit450
    PandaFit450 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Welcome to MFP!
    Diets definitely do not work long term!
    However, once you start eating healthy and up-ing the exercise, you will soon start to feel and see the benefits!
    Add me as a friend if you want some support
    Jules x
  • Charlotte012
    Charlotte012 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you. At the same time, I feel it's not always easy to struggle with contradictions being both feminist, fat-positive AND wanting to lose weight and finding balance and peace with my own body image and eating issues. I consider this weight loss a personal journey towards health, balance and peace with myself. I believe it's the only way to truly make a change, inside and out. Welcome to MFP, friend request sent ;)
  • AmyBeth719
    AmyBeth719 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I like your outlook on "dieting." It is a great way to look at it and I think that it will help you to get where you want to be no matter what the number says on the scale. Feeling good is the most important. I just want to be healthier and feel great in my body. I also have to get more on the organic, healthier food path due to all of my allergies.

I added you as a friend!! :o)
  • srogers918
    srogers918 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Love this posting.One of the reason I stopped going to weight watchers meeting is that they were so depressing. I dont have a problem with overeating, but i am overweight. I know i need to move more and eat more. I do eat healthy and it is easy to do. I have never been into fast foods so MCD's is not a problem for me. I believe we can eat what ever we want as long as we dont over do it. other than my weight I am healthy. Heart, sugar and blood pressure are all in order. I started walking on Friday and lost 4pd already. Good luck and stay in the positive light, I think taht is a good start on your weight lose journey.