Sun exposure - do you believe it is as bad as they say?

Options
Now that I have lost some weight, I would love to have a tiny tan to show off my new legs/face/body and with bathing suit weather finally here, I feel like I am glowing white when I put summer clothes on!

Anyways - would it really be that bad to just get a small amount of sun per day? Maybe 15 minutes on each side? With some sunscreen?

Replies

• loriannmartin
    loriannmartin Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    like with everything moderation. sunshine gives you natural vitamin d....
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Anyways - would it really be that bad to just get a small amount of sun per day? Maybe 15 minutes on each side? With some sunscreen?
    I clicked on this to say YES it is that bad, I know three people now who have had skin cancer and it was 1. severely life threatening and 2. really REALLY gross.

Then I saw you were going to use sunscreen.

It does protects your skin from a lot of the most harmful radiation, and a certain amount of sun is beneficial. So I won't go into the nasty details of their treatments!

Don't be conned by the "deep tan looks healthy" rubbish, enjoy the sun, and keep using that sunscreen. :smile:

EDITED TO ADD: Meant to say, make sure your sunscreen protects against UVA and UVB (so should your sunglasses) and that your sunscreen is at at least SPF 15.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Actually, you should get 10-20 minutes a day for Vitamin D exposure - but sunscreen it up after that. I've had great luck with the Spray Tan at the tanning salon. Trust me - my Irish/German skin knows the pain of being glowing white!

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/family-health/heart/articles/2008/06/23/time-in-the-sun-how-much-is-needed-for-vitamin-d?PageNr=1

If you are fair skinned really be careful of burning - if I did the 10 minutes in midday sun they suggest - I'd burn. Yep, I'm that fair!! So I get all my sun in the morning and late afternoon.
  • Missouwechanged
    Missouwechanged Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Being out in the sun helps raise your vitamin D level. As long as you use sunscreen, you can be out in the sun as much as you want unless, of course, you have got a medical reason not to. You should not be afraid of this beautiful star.
  • mamaredhead
    mamaredhead Posts: 112
    Options
    I am the red-hair-freckle-type myself. Just underwent one of those freckle-explosions last week where they just appeared EVERYWHERE. No problem for me. The skin tone between the freckles takes a long time to change from white to beige, hahaha, I am NEVER actually tanned. But that's fine with me.

You just put on half a bottle of sunscreen (joking, but do use it generiously), make sure you don't go tanning from like 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. when the sun is really frying you. And keep it moderate. You also tan in the shade, it takes longer but it stays on longer and it's not so dangerous.

Skin cancer is NOT pretty, you know ...
    I never leave the house without sunscreen on my face.

You will find your way!
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I was a lifeguard for year, Wear sun protection I would use Ocean potion or Bananna Boat they both have a non oily kind of Lotion that blocks all kinds of rays, get 30PF.

Getting constantly burn is bad....just some sun is fine, as the second poster said, Moderation, stay away from sun beds.

Natural sun is healthy, but don't get sun poisoning, moderation and a nice light tan is best.
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Sun is your friend, in moderation.

10-15 mins a day if fine as long as you don't burn easily, a light pink is OK from time to time, but never a burn.

America is under an epidemic with Vitamin D deficiency, and natural sunlight is the best way to get vitamin D.

Here is a very informative video on Vitamin D:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur_yXEUOOx8
  • Lissaannco
    Lissaannco Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Using the sunscreen is the way to go! Another thing to be cautious of is not getting sun on your face. Women in my family tend to wrinkle A LOT as we age, so I always wear a good moisturizing sunscreen on my face and a hat to keep the sun off! You can always go darker with your foundation to match the rest of you without having those rays cause wrinkles! I usually wear a foundation that is 1 to 2 shades darker in the summer!! Happy Summer! :flowerforyou:
  • MrsBrit2007
    MrsBrit2007 Posts: 161
    Options
    It is as bad as they say. You should be wearing sunscreen every time you're outside to prevent UV damage to you skin, and you'll still be able to get vitamin D.

I have done a lot of research on skin cancer in the past year since a close family member was diagnosed with skin cancer and the facts that I've read have been alarming. One in THREE Caucasians will be diagnosed with skin cancer over the course of their life, and skin cancer is more deadly for people with dark skin pigments. Also, just one bad sunburn increases your risk of developing melanoma later in life.

The most helpful site that I came across was this one: http://breakingnews.ewg.org/2011sunscreen/

And this video has been circulating online for the past month or so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGG6nCc70Wo&feature=player_embedded

I burn even if I'm in the shade and wearing sunscreen, (I'm a freckly redhead) so I've had to change when I'm in the sun and how I dress in order to avoid too much sun exposure.

So, be sure to wear sunscreen and reapply according to directions and you should be fine! :)
  • carlfry
    carlfry Posts: 62
    Options
    Yes, get a good 20 minutes EVERY day for some NATURAL Vitamin D! After that, sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen! You don't want to look like a leather couch and all ;) That's NOT sexy!
  • ubabe1
    ubabe1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I agree with most everyone here...sun is fine in moderation and with sunscreen!! Get a nice healthy natural glow from the sun and try a sunless tanning lotion if you want more. When you apply the suncreen, don't forget about your neck and ears unless you are wearing a hat. :glasses:
  • TourThePast
    Options
    Get a nice healthy natural glow from the sun and try a sunless tanning lotion if you want more.
    Actually, although it "sounds" healthy, a "nice healthy natural glow" is enough to drastically increase your chances of getting skin cancer.

Of course it's up to each individual to choose what they do, I'm just concerned about the message that a sunscreen is only required if you want more than a "natural glow".
  • IrishChick71
    IrishChick71 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    The sun isn't "bad" for you. Just like alcohol isn't "bad" for you. It's fine in moderation. It lifts you're mood and provides a dose of Vit D....just keep in mind that you can get that dose of vit D in 10-20 min of sun exposure and it doesn't have to be ALL AT ONCE. Use your sunscreen and use it often when outside. People always forget to re-apply and burn. Just be smart about it and don't over do it.

Being a nurse who specialized in MOHS micrographic surgery ( the surgery procedure most used to remove skin cancers of the face and head) and well as a dermatology nurse for 11 years, I can attest to the major increase in dangerous, invasive Melanomas and Squamous cell carcinomas due to tanning bed usuage. I could tell you story after story but I'll save it for now.

BUT ALL dermatologists would prefer the use of sunless tanners over the use of tanning bed hands down. The doctor I worked for use to tell his patients that just 10 visits or less a year increases your risk of skin cancer, particularly Melanoma, to 75%.

Sorry to get on my high horse but it's something I'm passionate about. I've seen to many people disfigured from their own stupidity. As well as too many lives lost because of skin cancer.

If you're fair, You REALLY don't need to go near a tanning bed. PERIOD.

Sunless tanners have really come a long way to I would highly recommemded them over the tannind bed.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I don't think sun exposure is a bad thing, too much of anything is a bad thing. I love the way the sun makes me feel, I don't have a tan and have the kind of skin that burns, but I can tell when I haven't had enough sun. I get lethargic and depressed.

and on a side note, My DH never gets a tan, never goes out in the sun and is as pale as they come...and guess what had skin cancer. So there are no guarantees you won't or will get it.

I guess really it's just a personal descision.
  • Tristis
    Tristis Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    There is debate whether sunscreen actually CAUSES skin cancer or prevents it. We slather chemicals all over our porous skin because we think we are doing the right thing never thinking of the damage these chemicals have on us. My whole life I've been told to wear sunscreen daily even in the winter or on overcast days. It doesn't sit well with me and never has. When I feel I've had too much sun exposure for the day, I get away from the sun. I don't think it's healthy to spread chemicals on ourselves. Just as people are advising you about sunlight in moderation, I would recommend sunscreen in moderation as well. Try a natural/organic/homemade sunscreen to decrease your chances of getting unnecessary chemicals in your body.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Sun is your friend, in moderation.

10-15 mins a day if fine as long as you don't burn easily, a light pink is OK from time to time, but never a burn.

America is under an epidemic with Vitamin D deficiency, and natural sunlight is the best way to get vitamin D.

Here is a very informative video on Vitamin D:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur_yXEUOOx8

Yes, and there's also a melanoma epidemic - the difference is, a vitamin D deficiency is treatable, advanced melanoma is not. You won't die from the kind of Vit D deficiency you see in this country, you will die from melanoma if it's not caught early and removed. I work with oncologists who specialize in melanoma and have done a lot of research on this topic, and no, the risks are not worth a tan. It is a grizzly, painful way to die. This is the fastest growing cancer population in the US, and it is preventable for the most part.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    There is debate whether sunscreen actually CAUSES skin cancer or prevents it. We slather chemicals all over our porous skin because we think we are doing the right thing never thinking of the damage these chemicals have on us. My whole life I've been told to wear sunscreen daily even in the winter or on overcast days. It doesn't sit well with me and never has. When I feel I've had too much sun exposure for the day, I get away from the sun. I don't think it's healthy to spread chemicals on ourselves. Just as people are advising you about sunlight in moderation, I would recommend sunscreen in moderation as well. Try a natural/organic/homemade sunscreen to decrease your chances of getting unnecessary chemicals in your body.

No, there's not really a debate about this in the medical community - ask an oncologist. Use a sunscreen or stay out of the sun.
  • TourThePast
    Options
    There is debate whether sunscreen actually CAUSES skin cancer or prevents it.
    No there isn't.

With all due respect, that's dangerous nonsense.
  • lovinmamaxo
    lovinmamaxo Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    As far as Vitamin D goes it's great for you. But be careful i don't recommend tanning to ANYONE. Last year i had a few moles removed off of my body caused from regular sun exposure (not artificial) and my mole came back as severe pre-cancerous so you have to proceed with lots of caution. I wouldn't think 15 minutes would hurt though.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I would use a sun block over a sunscreen and do very little and not every day.

I'm super super super paranoid about the sun. My sister who is six years older than me loves to tan. She just turned 30 and she already looks like she's 45. And she's recently discovered a spot on her skin that the doctor thinks may be a melanoma. She hasn't gone back since because she's immature and hides from her problems instead of dealing with them.

Please don't listen to anybody that say sunscreens and blocks are bad. The only person I ever actually heard that from was a crazy aunt that read it in some tabloid or something. I've yet to see or hear any evidence to support this. If you don't like artificial chemicals there are natural alternatives.

And please please please do any sun exposure with great moderation.

IMO tanning is over rated. Pale, undamaged complexions are beautiful.