Calories burned from exercising

maryd4love
maryd4love Posts: 164 Member
edited September 28 in Fitness and Exercise
Does the exercise tracker take in account for your weight or does it have an average that is uses for everyone?

Replies

• beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Pretty sure it's just an average.
  • sm0113
    sm0113 Posts: 89 Member
    It takes your weight into consideration. If you click on "Exercise" and then click on "Database", it show's that at 'X' weight you'll burn 'X' calories for 'X' exercise.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    It does take into consideration your current weight. But keep in mind, it's an estimate, and comparing it to the readings that I get from my heart rate monitor (HRM), the calories burned during exercise that MFP gives you can be quite a bit high. For example: I'll ride the stationary bike for 30 minutes, my HRM gives me a reading 290-310 calories burned. MFP will say that I burned 500 or so (the bikes reading says 240). I asked my personal trainer about the discrepency, and he said to trust the HRM readings... NOT the bike or MFP.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    It does take into consideration your current weight. But keep in mind, it's an estimate, and comparing it to the readings that I get from my heart rate monitor (HRM), the calories burned during exercise that MFP gives you can be quite a bit high. For example: I'll ride the stationary bike for 30 minutes, my HRM gives me a reading 290-310 calories burned. MFP will say that I burned 500 or so (the bikes reading says 240). I asked my personal trainer about the discrepency, and he said to trust the HRM readings... NOT the bike or MFP.

That's assuming you have a quality HRM and it is set up correctly with your true maximum heart rate.

If you input your weight on the bike, they can be pretty close--the math behind estimating stationary cycling calories is pretty straightforward. In any case, there is no significant difference between 240 and 290, so the HRM is probably fine as well.

MFP is very poor at stationary bike estimates because it has no reference for your exact workload on the bike. So it is just using a standard factor for everyone. It doesn't know if you are pedaling at 50 watts, 100 watts, or whatever.

Irregardless, you are doing awesome whatever you are counting.......:drinker:
This discussion has been closed.