do you count the carbs in gum?

Options
I sometimes will have a full pack of gum in a day. Each piece of gum says it is 1 carb. So does that mean if i eat 14 pieces, i have eaten 14 carbs. This is prob a reeaally stupid question. but i wasnt sure if bc its gum its different..?

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    A carb is a carb is a carb. Carbs in gum come from sugar, so if you're counting carbs, you need to count the carbs in your gum along with everything else.
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I understand the confusion in the question. Since we're not actually swallowing and digesting it, it shouldn't seem like we're eating the carbs. However, I'm sure the carbs come from the sweeteners used more than the actual gum base, so I would count it if it's on the label since like sugars, we don't actually swallow them whole to be digested, they are a part of the solution of our saliva or the liquids in say beverages. If you put it in your mouth, it's usually counted. I think even if someone were to get sick on a given day and vomit what they last ate, unless you can actually measure what came out and in what proportions, it's safe to say you consumed it all. Better to log something and it actually be under than to not log it and end up being way over.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I have gum here and there, but I neer really count it. However, if you are having a pack of gum pretty well everyday, definately should be logging it.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    A carb is a carb is a carb. Carbs in gum come from sugar, so if you're counting carbs, you need to count the carbs in your gum along with everything else.

I should probably add here, that if we were talking just a few pieces per day, I'd say ignore gum; I usually do. However, 14 pieces a day is a little too much to ignore. That's 10 - 14 grams of carbs and 60-70 calories. In smaller amounts, the only time that chewing sugar free gum is really going to matter is if you are actually counting carbs and are only allowed a certain amount per day.