What the heck is my deal?????

Options
Why can I not eat good? Why do I not want to cook? Why do I eat fast food still?

Seriously...what the hell is my deal? I workout 6 days a week. I do cardio, classes, circuit training. All that hard work and I still dont eat good.

I finally broke down and ordered used copies of Low-fat cooking for dummies & Low-Calorie Dieting for Dummies.

I have not lost anything else. I know if I was eating right I would!

So frickin mad.

Replies

• chubbymom
    Options
    Why can I not eat good? Why do I not want to cook? Why do I eat fast food still?

Seriously...what the hell is my deal? I workout 6 days a week. I do cardio, classes, circuit training. All that hard work and I still dont eat good.

I finally broke down and ordered used copies of Low-fat cooking for dummies & Low-Calorie Dieting for Dummies.

So frickin mad.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Habits are hard to break. Maybe you need to work progressively instead of all or nothing. If you've been eating fast food everyday, maybe you need to work toward only every other or only on Friday. Also you can make healthier choices at some Fast Food restaurants. There was a recent topic on favorite fast food restaurants. I'll try to find it and add it to this topic.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I have similar issues, and I find that making cooking exciting is good for helping me eat healthier foods. If it's fun and new I'll make the time to do it. I like to trade recipes with my coworkers now - most recently was a recipe for broiled marinated chicken breast which is quite yummy and easy to make, and healthy of course. It's a daily challenge, all you can do is take it one day at a time and give yourself a pat on the back for making healthy choices (bragging a little helps too! :wink: ). Good luck!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    As someone that really doesn't enjoy cooking let me give you a few tips. Write out a menu for every two weeks. When you grocery shop only buy the food that you need for the meals you have planned and a few other healthy snack foods so you don't impulse shop and buy what looks good.

I write out a menu of what I am making each day....that way it's a lot easier to avoid just picking up dinner if I know exactly what I planned on making. It also makes me more organized to do what I need to do, like take the chicken out of the freezer the night before where as before I would think hmmm, I want to make this tonight but the chicken is frozen so I have to pick up dinner.

I designate one night a week to be "soup and sandwhich night" (or something comparably easy that you like) so that not every night is spent making dinner and cleaning up for hours. We also designate one night FOR take out night. Depriving yourself of what you love will only make you crack after so long and binge.....by designating one night each week for take out night, it makes us less apt to make every night take out night. Also with take out night and soup and sandwhich night, that makes less nights that I have to make a time consuming meal, which makes those nights less dreaded when I do have to do it.

When you DO need to pick up some fast food, figure out what you're going to get before you go. Arby's Marthas Vineyard salad is VERY good, I would eat it even if I weren't on a diet. Even with the entire pack of dressing and the almonds its still under 500 calories. Mcdonalds southwest salad isn't too bad for you (esp if you only use half the dressing) and the grilled snack wraps aren't too bad. Even taco bell can be decent, a crunchy taco is only 170 calories (soft taco is more) so have a couple of those and a small nachos. My meal at taco bell IS higher than most of my dinners, but once in a while, esp if you bargain with yourself to work out afterward isn't too bad.

Good luck
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I can relate! My deal is I pick the wrong damn food thinking I'm doing good. Today for example I dieted all day and did an hour long class at the gym then blew it because when we went out to dinner I picked the only chicken sandwich they had (asiago chicken w/ pesto & sundried tomatoes on focaccia bread) turns out the sandwich my boyfriend picked (the special reuben on rye was a fraction of the calories)! Crap! I want a redo! lol
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options

So frickin mad.

One day at a time....one change at a time.....you'll get there.

You can also start small by just replacing some things....no mayo or use yogurt or mustard instead.
    Skim milk instead of whole
    Whole wheat instead of white, etc., etc......
    Even those small things can make a huge difference while you are adapting.

Example....I LOVE french fries. Now I just boil potatoes and eat them with a little ketchup. I know it doesn't sound that good, but it's the next best thing, satisifies my french fry need, and is still on the healthy side. Bonus....my daughter loves them!

Also, you can google low cal/low fat easy-to-cook recipies. The net is full of that stuff.

-Katy
  • eyescatchfire
    eyescatchfire Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else here--it's all about small changes. For months, I refused to eat anything other than full fat cheese. I just loved it too much to let it go. I STILL eat ice cream and put sugar in my coffee. If you are so strict that you hate your lifestyle, you will never ever stick with it.

I've read on here before about printing out the menus from fast food places that you are likely to go to, and keep them in your bag. That way, before you even get to the drive-thru, you know what you want to order. This will make a huge difference!

Focus on the positives--you are very active and dedicated at the gym, and that is a huge accomplishment that you should be proud of! :flowerforyou:
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

So frickin mad.

It is hard, been there and went to a size 22, now a tight 14 and loose 16. I started breaking myself by preparing meals at night for the next day to warm up. It is sooo hard, half of us has been there too sweetie. Welcome to life 101

Don't be so hard on your self, you can do this.
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    The reason you are not doing those things is because you are choosing not to:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/25636-everything-is-a-choice
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    i know where you are coming from. i do enjoy cooking but never have time during the week and have two kids to feed when i dont even get home until 6:15pm. i do my best at shopping for 2 weeks at a time and try to find easy quick foods and if i cook something that is really high in calories i only eat a little or have a lean cuisine instead or a salad. i do NOT cook on fridays that is against my rules we do order out or go out. we usually eat out 2 times a week. i just try really hard to make a halthy choice.

i cook alot in the slow cooker because i can just throw it in before work and come home and its ready and only have a few dishes to clean.

not much help but maybe you could try it out.