Breast Feeding?

Options
Hi All, I'm new and I'm sorry if this is posted before, but I have a 10 month old son who still breast feeds 5-6 times a day. My doctor said it's okay to try to lose weight, but I'm just wondering if I should adjust calories at all? I'm afraid of losing my milk supply, but I'm really would like to lose some weight! Any help or suggestions is much appreciated!

Replies

• daniwilson13
    daniwilson13 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't have any suggestions but you're awesome for breastfeeding!!!
  • TeacherAnge
    TeacherAnge Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! You definitely need to add some calories!

For babies that are EBF and less than 6 months old - add 500 calories. For older babies who are eating some solids, 300-400 calories should do the trick.

If you don't add these calories to your totals, the supply WILL tank.
  • Kahdel
    Kahdel Posts: 2
    Options
    my baby is 11 months and still nurses about 5-6 times/day, i have been following a 1200 calorie diet and have had no problems with my supply. every mama is different, but unless you have had supply issues in the past you should be fine with the 1200 - good luck!
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Same as above, Way to go for giving your son the best!
    The only advice I have is to go slowly, which is the best way anyway. Many moons ago when I was nursing, if I would lose too much weight too quickly my son was very fussy. I never lost my supply but he was not satisfied. You can definitely lose weight but just do it gradually. When he has weened you can always be a little more aggresive with the weight loss.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    You are awesome for breastfeeding your child. I am a HUGE advocate of breastfeeding so well done!!!! :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
  • Kedralea
    Kedralea Posts: 15
    Options
    Thank you! I will make sure to add at least 300 extra in per day, What i've found through tracking on here the last few days is that most days I don't reach my calorie goal as it is, so I'm wondering if my body is holding onto fat for this reason...
  • Kedralea
    Options
    Thank you for all the support as far as the breast feeding as well :)
  • Falling2Grace
    Falling2Grace Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hi friend!
    You can always take herbal suppliements too :)
    I have some left if you want to try any!
    Mothers Milk tea, blessed thistle, and fenugreek are all great herbal suppliments to increase a milk supply. I understand increasing isnt really your goal, but my thoughts are add about 400 calories to what MFP is suggesting, and then take a suppliment or two on top for the "just in case". You can also eat lactagenic foods like oatmeal and eggplant. Best of luck!
  • Kedralea
    Options
    That's a good idea! I remember you told me about a cereal bar for milk supply too, was that healthy? I can't remember!
  • Falling2Grace
    Falling2Grace Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    That's a good idea! I remember you told me about a cereal bar for milk supply too, was that healthy? I can't remember!

well.....theres a lot of sugar in it haha, but they are yummy and great for a supply. not sure how many calories though.
  • Kedralea
    Options
    scratch that one then! We'll just go for the supplements! :)
  • Jennyclement
    Options
    Hi,

Im also breastfeeding and at the start of everyday I add "breasfeeding" under "snacks" which gives me an extra 300 cals a day I dont always use the extra 300 but its definitely worth adding :)

good luck!
  • cgottel
    cgottel Posts: 22
    Options
    When you go to add your food, you can add "Generic Breastfeeding" and click on the one that lets you put in the ounces. My son is almost 3 months old and he nursing 4-5 times a day. (He's a super sleeper!) So I didn't think giving myself 500 extra calories was appropriate. I do it by ounces (usually 4 at a time) and I get 80 calories added to my daily total per feeding (about 320-400 a day). I rarely use them, especially if I exercise that day. Kuddos for breast feeding. It's so good for the baby and much cheaper too. I'll add you and we can encourage each other. I've only been doing this for a week or so. Good luck to you!
  • her1223
    her1223 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm new too! just joined! I am currently breastfeeding my almost 6 month old baby girl. I have been following a 1200 calorie intake a day for almost a week. I havent seen any drop in my milk supply. Although in the beginning i had huge problems with over-supply. I'm not sure if i will ever have a problem with the supply dropping. Each nursing mom is different, and each nursing baby is different. Drink lots of water. Set your calorie goal to about 1200, and if you get hungry eat only healthy snacks. The healthy snacks will be great for your weight loss and great for your baby! I just wish i could have some healthy protein shakes, or any kind of shake! but my daughter is sensitive cow's milk protein (has acid reflux) so i cant:(
  • TeacherAnge
    TeacherAnge Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for mentioning this! I had no idea that you could do that :)