freaking out for fitness test!!!

Options
at the gym i just joined, they make you do a fitness assesment befor you start using the gym. they make you write down what you eat, they weigh you, and they do a bunch of tests. that's what i'm doing tomorrow morning and I AM SO NERVOUS. i have a healthy BMI, but i still feel like my weight is too high, i'm not nearly fit enough, and even though i eat really well NOW, i'm scared they 'll look at me and think i'm lying about it cause i don't really have the body that fits that diet. not to mention that the people assessing me are fitness freaks with muscles ripling everywhere. i'm so nervous. HOW can i make this less painful for myself?

Replies

• miss_ally08
    miss_ally08 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I saw your post and at first I thought you were talking about like a PFT or something for the military. Your gym makes you take a test just so you can use it? I've never heard of that before unless maybe you're gonna use a personal trainer.

Honestly, with any fitness test - just do your best. Take it one obstacle at a time & go in with a positive attitude =) I am sure you will do great!!
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I think you are going to be very pleasantly surprised at how positive and supportive they will be, and how impressed they will be at your eating habits. ;)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Don't freak out about it, as the above poster said, you will be pleasantly surprised by this. The purpose behind it is to help you. To do so they need to know where you are now. It is sort of like people asking for diet help here, but having their food diary closed. Without the information, it is almost impossible to put your exercise program together.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Don't be surprised when they suggest a personal trainer for you. They will often use the assessment to encourage new gym members to hire the gym's personal trainers and nutrition counselors. If you want to, great, but if you don't, just tell them you want to try it on your own to start with, but may consider it down the road.

People are very vulnerable when they are having their fitness assessed. Gyms count on it.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    they know you are not perfectly fit or you woulnt need them , they will believe you that you eat healthy now as by coming there they can tell you are trying to get fit.
    and i am sure plenty of less fit people than you have joined, mostly 6 months ago.

besides if you and everyone else started the gym perfectly fit and ripped, and knowing what to do , they would not be necessary and would no longer have a job. they need people that need a lot of work so they can show there bosses they are doing something and thus keep there job.
  • redGummiBear
    Options
    they know you are not perfectly fit or you woulnt need them , they will believe you that you eat healthy now as by coming there they can tell you are trying to get fit.
    and i am sure plenty of less fit people than you have joined, mostly 6 months ago.

besides if you and everyone else started the gym perfectly fit and ripped, and knowing what to do , they would not be necessary and would no longer have a job. they need people that need a lot of work so they can show there bosses they are doing something and thus keep there job.

I agree! Just relax and try your best. They know you want to get fit, its their job to help guide you.
    =) Lets us know how you do. And just remember you will see where you are and be able to improove.
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Don't be surprised when they suggest a personal trainer for you. They will often use the assessment to encourage new gym members to hire the gym's personal trainers and nutrition counselors. If you want to, great, but if you don't, just tell them you want to try it on your own to start with, but may consider it down the road.

People are very vulnerable when they are having their fitness assessed. Gyms count on it.

I would like to think they will be encouraging, but I think this post might be right. I am a trainer, and I own a gym. I do not do this. Still don't worry about what they think. Be willing to listen to their suggestions that they give for free, and if you feel you can click with a trainer, then ask for a consulation. Ask yourself if they are just trying to guilt more money out of you, or if they have your best interest at heart. Hopefully, it will be the latter.

At the same time, remember that you do get what you pay for. People who try to get a really good program written for them, without paying for it, may not get the results they hope for.
  • brosehemian
    brosehemian Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    turns outi have to go back two more times to complete the stupid assesment. and yes, they are definately trying to sell me personal training. i just dont have the money. i'm a poor student off to vietnam soon. i can't afford it. but it wasnt as scary as i thought it would be. thanks for all the support.