Breakfast question

Options
I have a couple of questions...well I guess I'm more asking your opinion.

#1 When you write I have oatmeal for breakfast, do you mean plain oatmeal? If it is plain, can you give me some tips on how you make it? I usually use instant oatmeal and the it has the flavoring added. I buy the weight control or lower sugar varities, and have a fresh piece of fruit.

#2 Do you know if Cream of Wheat is as healthy for you as oatmeal is?

#3 I've been on an egg kick lately. Are eggs just as healthy as oatmeal if you have a piece of whole wheat toast along with the egg?

Before I branched out, I ate 1/2 cup of All Bran, 1 cup of skim milk and 2oz of blueberries everyday for like 4 months and I just got burned otu on it. I have been eatng the oatmeal I mentioned, but I'd like to make my breakfasts as healthy as I can as I know it is the most important meal of the day.

Replies

• mamato4kids
    mamato4kids Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I make oatmeal and add a pinch of cinnamon along with chopped apples. It is very good, and a great replacement for those packet oatmeals.
    As for the egg question, I eat an egg with oatmeal, or a piece of whole grain toast, or Ezekial bread.

Hope that helps.
    Robin
  • gimedatnow
    gimedatnow Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    #1) I always use unsweetened, unsalted oats and add cinnamon with a bit of brown sugar. It's especially good with raisins or dried fruit, or with a little granola mixed in after it's cooked. I like it much better than the preflavored varieties, which I think are way too sweet.

2) Not sure -- interested to hear other people's responses.

3) Depends on what you're looking for. Eggs are really great to get in that morning burst of protein and vitamins that you won't get from oatmeal. Eggs also have a low glycemic index, so they won't give you the insulin spike that oatmeal and bread will. On the other hand, carbs fuel your body will easy to process energy, which is especially useful in the morning. So, they're both good in their own ways. :) I always eat an egg in the morning with a half cup of oatmeal!
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    1. I don't like the texture of most rolled oats (other than the instant) so I don't have any good tips to help with that one. I only use the flavored instant packets. And even that I can only eat if I am adding hot water to it ... microwaving changes the texture and makes it gummy and blech... LOL

2. No, I did a LOT of research on this one because I PREFER Cream of Wheat to oatmeal. There is actually less nutrients and fiber in cream of wheat so it is not as filling or as good for you. But I still eat it because well, I like it better :)

3. Eggs are pretty good for you. They have a lot of protein and research shows that although there was a lot of talk about the cholesterol in the egg, if you eat the whole egg, the cholesterol in the yolk is actually not as high as originally reported AND the enzymes in the white help you break it down so it does not have the same effect on your body as say eating a pat of butter. BUT, you could always eliminate some of the calories by using one whole egg and one egg white together and get a higher protein boost with less worry about cholesterol if you so choose.
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I take 1/4 cup dry rolled oats (unsalted, slow cook kind) and cook them (leaving a little bit of water to soak up the next ingredients) and mix them with 1 TBSP ground flaxseed, 1 TBSP cinnamon and 1/4 cup blueberries. I ALSO eat 1 egg + 3 egg whites scrambled with veggies and sometimes add either goat cheese or 1 tbsp parmesan. I also usually have 5-6 grape tomatoes on the side. That way, I am starting the day with 3 servings of fruits and veggies.

When I first started eating rolled oats instead of instant, the taste was hard for me, but now I love it and find the prepackaged oatmeal is too sweet and even the unflavored one has a thinner consistency that I don't like.
  • litljoy2001
    Options
    Im not sure if the cream of wheat is healthier but I know I like it more so I eat it like three days a week and I put fresh strawberries or blueberry in with it, also I eat two eggs with wheat toast once a week eggs are great in protien but they can also be bad if you eat to much of them... another good breakfast I love is making an omlett using egg beaters and fresh mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, with a little tabascco cause I heard on the show the dr's that eating spicy food in moderations can actually help boost your metabolism...hope this helps
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I'll chime in on the oatmeal vs cream of wheat issue: I prefer cream of wheat over oatmeal.. it's got 50% of daily RDA of iron in just one serving, and women especially need the iron. I find that oatmeal tends to be too sweetened (the instant ones), and when I make my cream of wheat, I used a couple teaspoons of sugar, so I control how much sugar I get, and often add craisins or fresh fruit. I'll also qualify this by saying that I"m a runner training for a half marathon, I work out six days a week, and so I need the carbs without the sugars, and I need to iron to build up my hemoglobin so I can maximize my cardiovascular potential. Plus I really like how it sets up almost like a gel after it cools.
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    1. I do not eat a lot of oatmeal but if I have to it is usually instant.(i like porridge more)

2. Cream of wheat is definitely not as healthy as Oatmeal, but like xaspar I prefer it over oatmeal I either add a hard boiled egg on the side or I add protein to the cream of wheat or I add a smoothie with protein.

3. Eggs are healthy, still that debate on the cholesterol and most on here will say they use eggwhites.

I usually have eggs with toast. I find my breakfasts need to have protein or else I am starved in an hour afterwards.

I enjoy a protein pancake which is simple..

3/4 c of egg white or 2 eggs
    1/3 c of rogers porridge ( with bran, flax and oats)
    1/8 c of water
    1tbs of cinnamon
    1ts of vanilla extract

yum!!
  • flutterbee3
    Options
    I don't have any answers for questions 2 or 3 but I have discovered I love oatmeal. I never used to eat it because I had only tried the instatnt and I didn't like that at all. I buy the Quaker 5 min oats and when I start the water, I toss in some chopped apple and dried cranberries (I use a bit less water because of the juice in the apple). Add the oats and cook for a few min (I don't do the whole five because I like them a bit firmer), then I will add a bit of brown sugar and eat.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I have oatmeal for breakfast every morning. Old fashioned rolled oats bought in the bulk section of the store. Otherwise, Quaker old-fashioned oats. Both require cooking for 4-5 minutes. I add 1.5oz. of blueberries (fresh or frozen with no sugar added), cinnamon and 1TB of ground flaxseed. 1 cup of water to 1/2 cup oats. Make sure you weigh the oatmeal using your digital scale because the nutritional panel for Quaker oats says 1/2 cup is 40 grams, however when you weigh a leveled 1/2 measuring cup it's closer to 54 grams. This adds considerable calories, especially since I eat it every morning and sometimes as a snack at night. It can add 100-200 extra calories for the day.

The packaged oatmeal is terrible, loaded with sugar and additives. Look at the ingredient list.

No, Cream of Wheat isn't as healthy as old-fashioned oatmeal. Again, it's packaged and processed.

Eggs are very healthy. Egg whites are the perfect protein. The yolks also contain lots of nutrients but they are higher in calories and cholesterol. I will use 2 egg whites and 1 whole egg when I eat them, either scrambled or hard-boiled.
  • queen_bea
    queen_bea Posts: 118
    Options
    i make a porridge out of 'quick oats' (different consistency to regular oats) and i mix some mixed spice (cinnamon, nutmeg etc..) through it with 1tbsp of honey
    it's yummy. and better for you than the pre packaged mixes, cause i know what's going in there!