Constent Problem EVERY Day!

Options
2»

Replies

• registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot for your suggestions. My Dad is a diabetic so i too know that natural sugar is something to watch. Sugar is sugar, eventually it does the same thing as refined sugar.
    String cheese? I dont think we get that in New Zealand... will have to have a look around.

Yes sugar is sugar. a simple sugar is a monosaccharides, a complex carb, is a chain of monosaccharides. It takes LONGEr to break down. If you consume a simple sugar, it will raise your insulin levels very rapidly. If you consume a complex carbohydrate it will raise insulin levels slowly. It's a steady, slow supply of sugar. This is a lot safer, than eating pure table sugar. From a diabetic stand point.

But as you said, it all converts to sugar in the end. A simple sugar will give you a BIG SPIKE in insulin, compared to a complex sugar.

Fruits and vegetables, are made up of sucrose and fructose... The thing with these is that... they have to be converted in to glucose. This is a very slow and long process. So it will act as a complex carbohydrate.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I kind of scrolled up and i saw someone say "sunflower seeds" that brings up a very good point. Fats have no effect on insulin, they aren't sugar. Protein can be converted to sugar. So it would be wise to increase your intake of healthy fats.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    im always surprised by how complicated people make this.

When youve started thinking that fruit and vegetables arent healthy enough, then its turned into a problem imo
  • Lauriee2014
    Lauriee2014 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Mixing a "sugar" with a protein slows down the absorption of the sugar, keeping you from spiking and crashing.

For instance, 1/2 an apple with 1 Tbsp of peanut butter or a serving of nuts.

Fruits and vegetables are necessary ingredients in a healthy menu. That said, not all are created equally. You can check the glycemic index #. This is generally recommended for diabetics.