My muscles are fighting back!!

Options
So, I'm new here. I started 2 weeks ago. I'm down 12lbs, but some of my muscles are fighting me. 2 weeks ago, I decided to start out big. Got on a treadmill in a gym (had to make a good first impression), so I ran 1.5 miles. I was proud of myself, never having been a runner, and now I'm still suffering shin splints (according to everyone around me). I have picked up some other things instead, like water aerobics and biking, but I can't walk more than a mile, let alone run... How much longer will this last??

BTW, I biked 7.5 miles today!! Wahoo!! 4.5 yesterday, 2.5 Thursday, and 2 Tuesday (progress!!) :happy:

Replies

• guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Ouchie, that was me last week. I didn't even run that much. I started the couch to 5k and the day after my first day I had shin splints. Gotta be careful and take it slow. Make sure you get some good stretches in before and after exercise. I did steps on Friday and I'm walking around like an old lady because my calves are refusing to work for me. At least my shins don't hurt anymore, lol.
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I had shin splints in high school... they are horrible. Two things I did to get them to heal a little faster is ice them for about 10 minutes a night and do stretches for them. Sit with your legs under you and stretch back. It hurts but at the same time feels good.
    Did you also get the bruising? When I had them it looked like somebody was beating me in the legs with a stick!
    Also massaging the area feels good too.
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    DOH! I wish I'd known about the ice, lol.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    it'll last as long as you stress out your muscles and tendons. meaning if you really do suffer 'shin splints' its basically an over stressing of the tendons/muscles. the only way to stop this, is through rest, ice and anti inflammatories.

from there..to prevent them..you'll need to stretch your calfs and increase the strength of your leg muscles. poor footware and uneven gait can cause them too.