Is something wrong???

Options
Okay,
So I have been on mfp for a few weeks. I have been writing down my calories. I exercise 1-2 hours a day and I am gaining weight. What the :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

I went to the doctors to have some blood work. This is really not normal for me. For the past 7 years I have stayed the same. Within in 6 weeks I have gained 7 pounds.
Realy sad...

Replies

• MommyW
    Options
    Okay,
    So I have been on mfp for a few weeks. I have been writing down my calories. I exercise 1-2 hours a day and I am gaining weight. What the :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

I went to the doctors to have some blood work. This is really not normal for me. For the past 7 years I have stayed the same. Within in 6 weeks I have gained 7 pounds.
    Realy sad...
  • jenn10
    jenn10 Posts: 161
    Options
    Are you eating your exercise cals?? and keeping your exercise log so the calories show up in your food log? If not that may be why -- or you might be gaining mucsle mass which is heavier than fat mass so the tape measure should be your best friend also! I lost almost 2 inches of my belly before I even lost a pound!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    yes be sure you're taking measurements. You could actually be getting smaller. Another thought is, what were your eating habits like BEFORE MFP? I know there are a lot of us out there that played around with eating disorders and starvation before coming here. If you were regularly UNDEReating before you got here, then gaining weight is to be expected until your body realizes the starvation period is over and it's safe not to hold onto every calorie. Good luck, I am sure all you need to do is stick with it. You will see results.:flowerforyou:
  • suzitto
    Options
    I have been wondering, are you supposed to eat all of your exercise cals?
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering, are you supposed to eat all of your exercise cals?
    Yes you are. MFP calculates a deficit for you without including excercise. so you will lose weight wether you excercise or not. That said, when you excercise your deficit will become dangerously large. Eat them, you earned them!:flowerforyou:
  • suzitto
    Options
    I try to, but sometimes (like when I moved this weekend and burned 3000 cals) it seems impossible. And I would feel like I have done something wrong.
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I have found that when I exercise a lot and don't eat enough, I actually gain weight. Also, there is a period for me when I first start exercising rigorously that I gain weight... I don't know if it's because I gain muscle mass or it just flips a switch in my body and it doesn't know what to do, or what... but I have to be patient and wait for my body to get used to it and then I suddenly lose weight.

I'm not sure what kind of foods you're eating but your body might be holding onto fat. Since you exercise one to two hours a day, you need a lot of protein and then carbs, so try to make sure you're eating healthy foods like fish, chicken, turkey (if you're not a vegetarian of course), leafy greens, veggies, and fruit. If you're filling up on empty calories, your body won't have enough energy and it will go into starvation mode same as if you weren't eating and weren't exercising.

Like everyone else is saying, if you are eating a normal amount of calories, mostly healthy foods at regular intervals, and working out, then you just have to wait it out. Especially if this is a new lifestyle for you, your body has to get used to it and there will be a period of adjustment. Best wishes.
  • sheffiej
    Options
    I had the same issue and talked to my trainer about it and he said more than likely it's a muscle mass gain which is normal. So hang in there and it will get better. It took me about 3 months unitl I started seeing some weight loss.
  • Juliebean
    Options
    I had the same issue and talked to my trainer about it and he said more than likely it's a muscle mass gain which is normal. So hang in there and it will get better. It took me about 3 months until I started seeing some weight loss.

Unfortunately, I'm going through something similar. I'm not gaining weight but I'm not losing it either. I've been working out every day (except for Saturdays) for at least 45 minutes. What I've noticed is that I'm turning fat and flab into muscle. I find that I have muscles in places I didn't know I even had! So hang in there! It'll get better! :drinker: