No white sugar, flour, or rice...

Options
2»

Replies

• rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    For oatmeal, if you are using sugar, try brown sugar instead. It is a bit more healthy (for as healthy as sugar can get *dohh* lol). Its a nice alternative :)

Actually, brown sugar is no healthier than regular white sugar. It's just white sugar with a little bit of molasses added back. It's still just as processed and refined as white sugar.
  • bopper
    bopper Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I have a book called Stop Only Sugar written by a dr. in my home town. Dr. Surrell and he said this is the Savior of all Saviors for losing weight. I use Spenda to bake Blueberry muffins and I also only use Whole Wheat flour. Whole wheat Pasta with homemade tomato sauce when we eat spaghetti. I just think Sugar is bad all around. I don't give up bread and eat Ezekiel bread which contains no sugar but even the Sara lee wheat bread is only 2 grams per slice. It is about moderation. It is the hidden sugar in most things so be careful when something says No Added Sugar, right no added, but how much is already in it.

Good luck to you.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I do allow a tiny amount of sugar for my daily coffee, but otherwise I avoid those foods too.
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    i occasionally have white rice, but it's been hell trying to cut out the sugar and flour and grains. I've continually lapsed into a midnight binge after eating well for a few days, and i don't know why I can't do it. today I'm back on the horse... I think part of it is believing that I'm strong enough to not eat that kind of food... i dunno. :(
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I am actually at the point where I like my slow cooked oatmeal with NO sweetener. I use cinnamon, ground flaxseed (1 TBSP) and 1/4 cup blueberries or 1/4 a green apple. The fruit provides the sweetness. I have gotten so used to it, I don't like it any other way.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to replace white sugar in some thing, agave nectar is a great substitute. It is won't raise your blood sugar level but keep it level for a longer period of time compared to regular sugar or syrups.

Quinoa is a great replacement for rice. It has more protein and I think more flavor than white rice.