Help! I've hit a plateau and I can't get out

martini79
martini79 Posts: 13
edited September 28 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been losing/gaining the same 4 poulds for the last month. I workout at least 3-54 times a week for at least 30 minutes. I've been doing more strenght training than cardio and I usually eat the calories I burn. I've cut out a lot of processed food have been eating more fruits/veggies. When I started I was at 1200 per day, then I bumped it to 1400. I usually end my day under the 1400 calories.

Any advice on what I'm doing wrong and how to get out of this stupid plateau would be great.

Thanks.
:tongue:

Replies

• RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    I was on a plateau recently for a month and I tried zig zagging my calories throughout the week and I also cut back my workouts from 5 a week to 3 a week. It mixed it up enough my body thought I was doing something different and I lost 3.6 pounds last week. Try zig zagging and then back off your workouts a bit or try something different. Your body is getting too used to what you are doing and you have to shake it up!!

Good luck!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    I am a six week plateau survivor, lol. I detailed my issues and how I got through it in a blog post here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/melsinct/view/goodbye-plateau-don-t-let-the-door-hit-ya-107662
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    I'm not a fan of eating the calories back, unless you are burning mega amounts of calories...try zig-zagging the calories from day to day and see if that will shift things up. There's another theory that invites you to a cheat day to spike the insulin (workout that day however), and then return to your normal routine.

This too shall pass...
  • pbolton16
    pbolton16 Posts: 87
    It will pass I'm sure but the zig zagging should help you out. Also it wouldn't hurt to post your diet to let others see what your calories consist of. I think Tammy has it right about not eating them back unless it's just a large amount... at least for you now.
  • JudyP0389
    JudyP0389 Posts: 46
    What does zigzagging your calories mean?
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    How long have you been strength training steady? If its been during this time then its water retention. When I first started strength training I retained water for 3 weeks before my muscles released. Its a common occurrence.
This discussion has been closed.