Weekend Woes....

Options
I'm looking for ideas on how to deal with weekends. It seems during the week, it is easy for me to stay focused. I have a routine, a schedule to keep, I go to work (usually ride bike to and from) come home, quick snack, on to workout and i'm doing fine. But come weekend time, lately it's like all control is lost when I have more time on my hands. I tend to eat food that I shouldn't be, then just get completely lazy or go out and have fun, then not "feel" like working out. Then come monday, I'm more and more unmotivated. Not a good way to start the week. Anyone else run in to this issue also. Any ideas on how to break this nasty habit would be much appreciated...

Replies

• spirited_angel
    Options
    :blushing: i have this habit too!!But i make up for it all week and then lapse saturday and just a tad sunday!But the other 5 days i work damn hard!
  • sjkcarter
    sjkcarter Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I would like to hear what people have to say as well.
  • MelanieP_TX
    MelanieP_TX Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I moved my weigh in day to Sunday for awhile to break my horrible weekend eating habits. It definitely helped.
  • spirited_angel
    Options
    :blushing: i have this habit too!!But i make up for it all week and then lapse saturday and just a tad sunday!But the other 5 days i work damn hard!
    Sorry just dont see it as an entirely bad thing,sometimes ya body needs a break!!But i am maintaining not really trying to lose except for every now n then when i may put on a pound or 2!!
  • WWhitaker
    WWhitaker Posts: 309
    Options
    I have the same problem. I think the weekends are going to take a lot of baby steps. Just the same way you started taking steps toward changing your behavior during the week. It's going to difficult, but we can get through it!!!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem working out, I've really made that a habit. For me, I found weekend exercise classes that I really like with great teachers that motivate me. In some cases I'll even drive to a gym that's a bit further from my house if it is for a good class. If the weather is nice, I try to do something active with my husband like go for a hike.

I do have the same problem with a lack of control when it comes to eating on the weekends, especially if I am drinking at all. They say alcohol lowers inhibitions and it definitely lowers my inhibitions about eating calorie packed foods. Haven't found a way around this one other than just no drinking - sorry if that isn't very helpful.
  • uniquesoul73
    uniquesoul73 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I had to chime in on this one...weekends are terrible for me. I sleep in which means I dont really get to do breakfast and for the remainder of the day I am out running errands and such, so eating a good meal and healthy snacks is extra hard. I'd really like some feedback on how to stay on track during this time.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I hear you. The weekends it's like my body is screaming to get full for once. My meals never fill me up during the week...they are enough...but it's hard not to have a nice big ol' meal or two on the weekends. I still haven't figured out that balance.
  • jessazimmerman
    Options
    I use the extra weekend time for extra exercise so I can eat more! I feel like I have to earn the right to have the extra calories, and it works for me. I also do my daily exercise first thing in the morning, even on weekends, so it always gets done.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you schedule yourself some down time it won't demotivate you so much when you do have the down time. You should be able to go out an have some fun without feeling guilty about missing one day at the gym. I mean, you are going 5 days during the week and riding your bike every day. Your body does need some down time.
  • bununu
    bununu Posts: 12
    Options
    I have the same issues. During the week, I work out hard and eat raw fruits and veggies and lean proteins. But come Saturday and Sunday, it is all beer and bad pizza.

For me, it is because I spend the weekends with my boyfriend at his father's house who is not at all concerned with making healthy decisions.

This is the third weekend in a row that I've sabotaged my diet during the weekend. Let's agree to NOT make bad decisions next weekend.

And remember the whole idea that one healthy decision leads to another-- so start your day off with a long run or a healthy breakfast.
  • jocelynlewis
    Options
    I agree w/WWhitaker, it will take some adjustments, I have the same issue, this weekend I did a little better, I wanted something sweet so I made me some banana nut bread, I made it that way I know what I am getting and putting into my body! I also have :happy: been practicing last week not eating any process foods, and that seem to be helping! hope this helps
  • itstherealest
    Options
    I think it happened to everyone, however, you shouldn't be too hard on yourself because the change from routine and diet is necessary to keep you from getting bored and satisfying your cravings. Since the workouts I do during the week tend to keep my calorie quota in check, on weekends when I rest I'm not scared to go over a few hundred calories because I know I need the energy and enough food in my stomach to keep me energized and my metabolism at a good pace.
  • spirited_angel
    Options
    I use the extra weekend time for extra exercise so I can eat more! I feel like I have to earn the right to have the extra calories, and it works for me. I also do my daily exercise first thing in the morning, even on weekends, so it always gets done.
    Exactly,i work really hard all week so i know i can realx on weekends!!I do workout every other saturday but only when im feeling really down,as i do 12 classes a week as it is plus gym!
  • Scubabarbie
    Scubabarbie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    We should not be on our best behavior 100% of the time. It's ok to give in to enjoying ourselves and having fun and eating what we want. I have an 80/20 rule -- I eat what I should 80% of the time and I eat what I want 20% of the time which happens to be on the weekend. Now, when you having a weak moment (if you happen be near your computer/smart phone) post your status on MFP and I am sure you will get the support that you need to keep you on the wagon. Good luck!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I'm generally more active on the weekends and can afford, calorie-wise, to consume a little more.

Good example - went kayaking for 5 hours down a river on Saturday. Have no idea what the calorie burn was on paddling that long, but I'm willing to be it's pretty high.

Only ate two meals - breakfast (about 500 calories) and dinner/dessert (about 1300 calories). Put me within an 1800 calorie allotment for the day which was probably about correct with the expected calorie burn of paddling for 5 hours...

If I know I'm going to have a big meal out, I eat less at other meals.
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I started doing this so I made one day a weekend a workout day, which helped make me more focussed on the day I wasn't exercising (if that makes sense).

Perhaps one day a week you just don't log your food? It may lead to overindulging, but you might find you've picked up enough good habits on here for you not to go over or too much over.
  • LushLoni
    LushLoni Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    So, okay...

Firstly, I've been doing this for a month now so I'm not exactly a guru.

- However, I have made my weekend schedules for the first month really bloody boring so that I get my head round being disciplined.

-My weigh in is on Monday so I feel the need to be disciplined on the run up to it, which just so happens to be the weekend and it counteracts any urges to be super bad

-Probably not that recommended but I skipped lunch on Saturday - I got up and had breakfast later and wasn't that hungry, figured I could go until dinner when I knew I'd have a good meal inside me, and I skipped dinner on Sunday because I had a good sized lunch...

You could try and work out early in the day that way you've done your work out for the day and earned yourself extra calories for the day should you need them, you'll also feel less sluggish and more inclined to eat healthily if you've exercised early on.
  • kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    Options
    I think I am going to start dividing my calories differently. I think on weekdays I will eat 13% of my weekly calories and then on weekends I will eat 17%. That way I can still have fun and eat a little more than I usually would on the weekends and still be in my calorie goals.
  • spirited_angel
    Options
    We should not be on our best behavior 100% of the time. It's ok to give in to enjoying ourselves and having fun and eating what we want. I have an 80/20 rule -- I eat what I should 80% of the time and I eat what I want 20% of the time which happens to be on the weekend. Now, when you having a weak moment (if you happen be near your computer/smart phone) post your status on MFP and I am sure you will get the support that you need to keep you on the wagon. Good luck!
    Great advise!!Just how i do it!!