Workout or take it easy when congested?

Options
I have had a lot of sinus & chest congestion the last few days, but it's the first days of my summer vacation and I vowed to get off my butt this summer and change my habits.

So, my question is simple: Should I give myself a break because I'm sick, or suck it up and follow through on my workout?

Replies

• Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options
    Work out as much as you can. Don't be discouraged if you tire easily though. Just make sure you do something and sleep more.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    That really depends on how bad you feel. If you have a fever, overall aches and pains, etc, it is probably better to give your body a break. If you are just getting spring allergy congestion, no problem working out, and you may benefit from some otc allergy relief like claritin or others (or their generics).
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I try to work through my colds. It seems to clear me up faster. I breathe a lot better after a run.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I have terrible sinus problems sometimes and usually have to back off from intense exercising when it gets bad. I would say take it easy during those times but exercise as much as you can..just decrease the intensity. Good luck!
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Rule of thumb: above the neck, go for it, Below the neck (in your chest) take a rest. I'm not a doctor but I play one on TV. :wink:

All kidding aside, I am a RN and I've had many doctors tell me this same advice. Hope you feel better!
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Just listen to your body. If you feel your normal workout is taking too much of a toll on you, slow it down or do something easy like a walk, or yoga.
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Break through the decongestion and see how you do. The chest congestion worries me much more than the sinus. Take a cup of water or lemon tea or add in some lemon juice with 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar. Add in as much cayenne pepper as you can stand as well as honey to sweeten it as needed. Do not use sugar. You can use stevia if you have it in your house. You can drink it hot or cold, you can chug it or sip it. I guarantee you it'll clear your sinuses. If you're still struggling with your lungs, take a steaming hot bowl of water, add in two tablespoons of epson salt, two tablespoons of baking soda and enough hydrogen peroxide to get it going, at least a half a cup. Drape a towel over your head and sit over it while breathing deeply with your head and bowl covered with the towel until it the steam stops coming up. It's called an oxygen vapor bath. It'll clear out all the gunk out of your lungs forcing your body to process it out instead of keeping it in.
  • MightyMae1
    MightyMae1 Posts: 208
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I am sort of achey and tired, but I don't think I have a fever. I think I'm going to try some yoga anyway. We'll see how that goes. :-)
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I try to work through my colds. It seems to clear me up faster. I breathe a lot better after a run.
    Ditto! That's the only time I can breathe and feel better lol :smile:
  • throttlboy
    throttlboy Posts: 23
    Options
    Just put your big girl panties on and get at it!
  • MightyMae1
    MightyMae1 Posts: 208
    Options
    Just put your big girl panties on and get at it!

That's sexual harrassment. You best back off, buster. People on here don't know we're married. :-P
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I find that running helps clear my congestion, workout if you are feeling good but if your body feels fatigued you need to rest, that's your body telling you something and you should listen :wink: