How much protein should I have?

Options
Anyone have a target number of grams I should be aiming for? If this helps, I currently do my Bowflex training 3 times a week (non consecutive days) doing the '6 week Weight Loss Program' consisting of the following exercises (1 set each, max weight for 8-12 reps). I have heard this might be weight calculated as well, so my current weight is 183 lbs.

Leg Curl
Leg Extension
Bench Press
Bicep Curl
Shoulder Press
Ab Crunch

Also I would like to know what sort of protein I should be looking at. I see whey protein is available in many varieties...but is there another kind that is better? Is there also a difference in brand name vs cheaper brands?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    How much protein do I need each day?
    There is no one-size-fits-all answer to that question, and research on the topic is still emerging. The Institute of Medicine recommends that adults get a minimum of 0.8 grams of protein for every kilogram of body weight per day—that's about 64 grams for a 160 pound adult. In the U.S., adults get an average of 15 percent of their calories from protein; for a person who requires a 2,000-calorie-per-day-diet, that's about 75 grams of protein. In healthy people, increasing protein intake to 20 to 25 percent of calories can reduce the risk of heart disease, if the extra protein replaces refined carbohydrates, such as white bread, white rice, or sugary drinks. Higher protein diets can also be beneficial for weight loss, in conjunction with a reduced calorie diet, although long-term evidence of their effectiveness is wanting.

For people in good health, consuming 20 to 25 percent of calories from protein won't harm the kidneys. For people with diabetes or early-stage kidney disease, however, the American Diabetes Association recommends limiting protein intake to 0.8 to 1.0 gram of protein per kilogram of body weight (roughly 10 percent of energy intake), since this may help improve kidney function; in later stage kidney disease, sticking to the 0.8 grams per kilogram minimum is advisable. Consult a doctor or a registered dietitian for individualized protein recommendations.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to gain muscle, I would try to eat a one-to-one ratio of protein to body weight, or even ten grams more.

I currently weigh about 148 and I aim to eat 150-175g of protein a day.
  • mdhaymes
    mdhaymes Posts: 4
    Options
    About 15 years ago, I worked out aggressively with a great trainer who instilled the philosophy of balance between strength training, cardio, and diet. She was a competing Ms Fitness and really knew her stuff. On her plan, I was targeted to have 130 gms of protein a day, or 25% of my calories from protein. It was hard to do. About the only way I could meet that was to supplement a morning protein shake and have meals that included grilled chicken breasts with 4-5 egg white omelets. When I did hit the numbers I gained a lot of muscle. She explained that lifting without giving your muscles fuel to rebuild can actually reduce your muscle mass. You can cannibalize muscle to get through your workout.

I also always had to have protein within 30 minutes of a workout, that is when your body needs to rebuild.

I know it is counter to what a lot of us are doing on this site, but she emphasized don't just look at the scale. I gained 15-20 lbs with her over 2 years while reducing my waist measurements and becoming as lean as I ever have been.
  • Ndskuse
    Ndskuse Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. @mdhaymes I don't mind slowing down my weight loss or even gaining some as long as it is in the right places!
  • breakthecycle
    breakthecycle Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    bump