Strength training for an extremely short attention span

Options
I mean, really short. I can't make it 15 minutes in to a video. I know I have to do something though, I'm on a 2 month plateau and it's really upsetting. I know I don't eat perfectly, which is part of it. I eat a lot of empty calories because of cravings, not being hungry, running a lot, being a picky eater, and hating to cook.

So I need to build some muscle. I love to run, because I can forget what I'm doing and think about other stuff. I'm not interested in counting, or focusing, or even pushing myself. Slow, guided progression is exactly my speed. I'm sure there are tons of different things people have done, any suggestions?

I could keep retrying videos and different methods and just suck it up, but you have to love what you're doing, right?

Replies

• Ndskuse
    Ndskuse Posts: 15
    Options
    Tony Horton (the P90x founder) released a '10 minute trainer' DVD program. I don't know how good that one is specifically, but his other stuff is highly rated, so I don't see why this one wouldn't work as well.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a gym that is the best place to do strength training and then you won't be bored..trust me! I usually limit myself to doing 4-5 machines when I strength train at the gym. good luck to you!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    ChaLEAN extreme. I think it's nearly impossible not to like.
    I hated everything....until CLX. Now working out is a hobby,.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    What strength training video are you trying? P90X? I am a cyclist and trail runner by choice but I do strength training because I know that I need it. I love P90X and find Tony very humorous, but once you know the moves it is actually very slow. I am now doing Supreme 90 Day as a change up. It is very different but is an outstanding strength training program. It doesn’t offer Tony's humor, but if you want a serious workout in a short time it might be the ticket. The workouts are intense and will keep you focused; I can barely keep up sometimes. The workouts run 22 min to 40 min, plus about a10 minute total warm up and cool down. And the cardio stuff will leave you drenched in sweat. I only do the cardio when weather prohibits cycling or running outdoors. And Supreme 90 is only $20! The thing I worry about for you is getting through the warm up and the demonstration of the exercises. But once you get to the exercises they will hold your attention.
    PS: I find that the strength training helps my running and cycling. It is worth the time investment.
  • Mixmode
    Mixmode Posts: 332
    Options
    Keep in mind "strength training" targets building heavy, dense muscle and quite often those on a diet that strength train, while transforming yourself into a more shapely figure, notice less results on the scale.
  • RyvreTam
    RyvreTam Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think I'm being unrealistic and hypocritical. I don't want to work for it. I don't enjoy being focused on the work, where I know most people are. I want to do something mindless where the muscles come as a side effect, you know? Maybe I'll try the 10 min video that was suggested.

I did have a gym, I was even swimming there. I have a social anxiety though. I was really proud of myself for getting over it enough to swim for a couple months. In an opposite way, as people started to recognize me, I started to not want to go anymore. I don't want to be talked to. There's nothing wrong with people talking to you at the gym, I'm dating one of those guys who talks to everyone, perfect opposites, but don't talk to me. I need a shirt that says "Please don't talk to me or look at me, it was hard enough to come in here." And yet, I have no problem sharing this on a public forum, should have been another topic.

Really, thanks, maybe I just needed to vent a little and get confirmation of the sucking it up part. Just so frustrated.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Check out www.hundredpushups.com . it's simple, effective, and only takes about 10 minutes 3 days a week. They also have a couple other programs on there as well.
  • rachpiper720
    rachpiper720 Posts: 204
    Options
    try www.bodyrock.tv workouts. A lot are around 12 minutes and they will kick your butt!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm like you and I have a short attention span.. I always tell myself I will do three sets when I barely make it past two!

Anyway, my suggestion to you is to combine exercises.. so lunges with bicep curls, squats with a shoulder press.. etc.
    That way you get twice as much done, in a shorter amount of time.
  • RyvreTam
    RyvreTam Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Friday night I did a 36 minute video while listening to a conversational podcast on a subject I am interested in. It was a real brain work out to divide my attention, and the time passed quickly. Making another attempt tonight.