Cracked heals anyone? Ideas??

Options
RENAEJAE
RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
It's that time of year again and I love my sandals - however - after just a couple of weeks without lotion & socks my heals are a mess again. They split and crack. It takes the first 5 minutes of my morning jog to get past the pain. I've been using the 'HEAL OF APPROVAL' and 'SHEA it isn't so'. Some nights they are too sore to even touch the sheets when I get into bed.

Any ideas?

Replies

• tigertown11
    tigertown11 Posts: 310
    Options
    this sounds way beyond lotions, I would see a dermatologist.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Burts Bees makes a great coconut foot cream. I live in the desert southwest, where it is hot and humidity is in the single digits, so my feet, and everything else, get really dry. I put the cream on my feet and then wear socks to bed so it doesn't get all over the sheets. It's a very thick and greasy formula that works really well.

Nightly routine when my feet are really dry:

1. Soak feet in warm water for 5-10 minutes
    2. Use a pumice stone
    3. Generously apply foot cream. Don't try to get it all to absorb.
    4. Put on old pair of socks

You can skip the first two steps if your heels are really sore, but they really help a lot. When I keep to this routine, my feet are always soft and smooth.

http://www.burtsbees.com/natural-products/body-hands-feet/coconut-foot-creme.html
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had a professional pedicure? That might be helpful and they can suggest heal treatments to prevent cracking and drying. Also, when you lotion your feet at night..put plastic baggies on them to hold in the moisture. hope these suggestions are helpful! Good luck!
  • AtomicDarling
    Options
    this sounds way beyond lotions, I would see a dermatologist.
    Agreed
  • chaparra81
    chaparra81 Posts: 31
    Options
    Tons of crisco at night with socks on will do the trick!
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had a professional pedicure? That might be helpful and they can suggest heal treatments to prevent cracking and drying. Also, when you lotion your feet at night..put plastic baggies on them to hold in the moisture. hope these suggestions are helpful! Good luck!

Agreed!! You'll want to wait a bit for the professional pedicure until you're not cracked anymore so you don't risk infection, but if you can get an at-home kit and treat yourself it will do wonders.

My husband has this problem, and I make him soak his feet, then pumice them and then put heavy foot lotion and booties on him at night. It takes a couple weeks of TLC, but it works!!

Paraffin waxes are really good for this, too -- I got one for Christmas one year and it really helps soften up my feet.
  • hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Regular Pedicures will help with the summer time rough feet also they feel good and they are relaxing. There is also a black hair care product called Blue Magic Coconut Oil grease. I blend it in my hands with my lotion to keep my feet and legs moist in the dry summer air. But I would definitely go get a pedicure at least twice during the summer. AT LEAST!!!!
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    My college roommate swore by Eucerin. The stuff in the tub, not the bottled lotion. It's pricey - last time I saw it was like $17/16 oz tub - but it seemed to work for her.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I got a store brand of "heeltastic" which is advertised on TV. The chain drugstore, CVS, put out their own called "cracked heel balm" for much less money.

It worked fantastically. It is like a giant chapstick or roll on deodorant stick. You just roll it on, very little mess.
  • Kelblue1
    Kelblue1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue until recently. I never had cracked heels until I started gettting professional pedicures regularly and then stopped. And I live in flip flops during the summer. But I started using a pumice stone after my shower every night and then I use Sally Hansen cracked heel lotion. I rub it in and then put on socks for an hour or so and now after about 2-3 months they are getting back to normal. I don't think any one thing works on everyone, so I'd try a few things and see if it helps!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    During the summer it is very easy to pick up different forms of athletes foot, skin infections and other bacteria that will cause dry cracking scaly skin. Once a week I soak my feet in 1/4 cup of bleach in 2 gallons of hot water for about 1/2 an hour. Then I use the foot file or pumice to get the dead/dry skin off, I like the Aveeno overnight foot cream and put on some low cut socks for overnight. Also when I know that I will not be going out again for the day I will wash my feet and put on lotion and the low cut socks in the house instead of slippers or flip flops.
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Some good ideas here - I've tried most but I guess need to be more diligent about a nightly routine. I was hoping for some prevention.

Thanks much.
  • hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Some good ideas here - I've tried most but I guess need to be more diligent about a nightly routine. I was hoping for some prevention.

Thanks much.

If you do this regularly that is your prevention. These are all great ideas, but I would start with getting a professional pedicure and then figure out your routine. They do it so much better and may be able to recommend some things.
  • tim9862
    tim9862 Posts: 2
    Options
    Dermagran, A & D ointment, Aquaphor, Bag Balm ... basically any oil based product. Think "Pose running" (youtube)
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, and it really bugs me.

It goes away when I take my vitamin pack (it consists of various vitamins, minerals and herbs). So in my case it is due to some type of deficiency, not sure which though (: