Can I get some information on clean eating

Options
Can someone point me in the direction of a clean eating plan or tell me what it entails? I'm really interested in this. I might have a lot of questions.

Replies

• Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    The only way to eat clean is to eat vegan whole foods.
    Go as raw and unprocessed as possible.
    Check out this site for some great info and recipes.

http://www.vrg.org/

Plus I'm certified to teach others about veganism so feel free to ask away.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    What in the world is considered "clean" eating?
  • kerriknox
    kerriknox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Clean-Diet-Recharged-Lasting-Better/dp/1552100677/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307372981&sr=8-1

I have read this book and it was quite good. It is not vegetarian though, just non processed foods. There is also a bi-monthly magazine that I get called clean eating that has lots of recipies and usually highlights certain vegetables that are in season and shows how to eat them, with recipies and the nutritional benefits.

http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    What in the world is considered "clean" eating?

if it doesn't have a mom or come from the earth, don't eat it.

Check out:
    Paleo Diet
    Primal Blueprint
    Perfect Health Diet
    And Raw Food Diet

all are about eating whole, unprocessed foods (the first 2 are my favorite, and most delicious IMO)
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    There's no way I would ever cut out foods I love. Just my opinion..
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Can someone point me in the direction of a clean eating plan or tell me what it entails? I'm really interested in this. I might have a lot of questions.

You are likely going to be overwhelmed with the information and misinformation in the responses you'll get. Even if you Google it you'll get a lot of different information. This is because there are a lot of differing opinion on what "clean" means. But basically if you still to natural minimally processed or unprocessed foods you'll be on the right track. it's almost impossible in the modern world to cut out all processed foods, but when you eat a food just ask yourself "how close is this to it's natural state"?
  • Kristhin
    Options
    98% of meat in the U.S. is factory farmed.

Factory farmed animals are genetically modified and fed an unnatural diet.

Animals today are very, very far from anything that would naturally come from the earth.

http://www.vegsource.com/news/2009/11/the-comparative-anatomy-of-eating.html

To eat clean is to eat the way our bodies and nature intended.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    The only way to eat clean is to eat vegan whole foods.
    Go as raw and unprocessed as possible.
    Check out this site for some great info and recipes.

http://www.vrg.org/

Plus I'm certified to teach others about veganism so feel free to ask away.
    No it's not. Omni's can eat clean as well. To me it's about eating without preservatives or additives. Ingredient list should be easy to understand without a degree in chemistry.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    You don't have to cut out foods you love to eat clean. You just eat versions of them that are not full of preservatives and additives.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    98% of meat in the U.S. is factory farmed.

Factory farmed animals are genetically modified and fed an unnatural diet.

Animals today are very, very far from anything that would naturally come from the earth.

http://www.vegsource.com/news/2009/11/the-comparative-anatomy-of-eating.html

To eat clean is to eat the way our bodies and nature intended.

I believe the same can be said about produce. Depending on how far one wants to take "clean eating", there is an abundance of grass fed, free-range animals available.

To the OP: I'm not a big fan of the Paleo-diet, but I do acknowledge that it would be a good place for a person who wants to change her diet to begin.
  • cjnolt
    cjnolt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I agree! I learned alot from Tosca Reno's books, website and the cleaneating magazine. Very helpful.

I try to eat clean most of the time - but it is definately a journey. One step at a time...
  • Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    My version of clean eating is basically just healthy eating....on the 90/10 plan ;) I can't give up foods I love & I love food!
  • Kristhin
    Options
    Its impossible for everyone to eat only 2% of the meat there is. Not to mention even if all of the farms switched to TRUE organic free range, there would be no room left anywhere. No forests. Deforestation due to farming is already happening at an alarming rate. Most of the time even the organic free range meat is still actually factory farmed due to the fact that there aren't people who check up on these things.
    It IS, however, possible through natural farming methods for everyone to eat sustainable and organic on a vegan diet.
    Most of the time people buy meat they think is natural but it isn't.
    Also, many people find the taste of grass fed meat to be too gamey because the fat isn't marbelized into the animal like it is on factory farms, the way most people are used to eating.
    Plus you can't eat meat raw without getting sick because
    1. There are no regulations on waste disposal when it comes to animal farming.
    2. The diets animals are fed 98% of the time are not their natural diets. These unnatural diets cause diseased like EColi to run rampant in their digestive system, which, at the time of slaughter, get all over pretty much everything and thats also how vegetables become infected with EColi.

The only way to TRULY eat clean is an organic vegan raw diet.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Its impossible for everyone to eat only 2% of the meat there is. Not to mention even if all of the farms switched to TRUE organic free range, there would be no room left anywhere. No forests. Deforestation due to farming is already happening at an alarming rate. Most of the time even the organic free range meat is still actually factory farmed due to the fact that there aren't people who check up on these things.
    It IS, however, possible through natural farming methods for everyone to eat sustainable and organic on a vegan diet.
    Most of the time people buy meat they think is natural but it isn't.
    Also, many people find the taste of grass fed meat to be too gamey because the fat isn't marbelized into the animal like it is on factory farms, the way most people are used to eating.
    Plus you can't eat meat raw without getting sick because
    1. There are no regulations on waste disposal when it comes to animal farming.
    2. The diets animals are fed 98% of the time are not their natural diets. These unnatural diets cause diseased like EColi to run rampant in their digestive system, which, at the time of slaughter, get all over pretty much everything and thats also how vegetables become infected with EColi.

The only way to TRULY eat clean is an organic vegan raw diet.

OK, you make some good points, but you are now actually making a different argument. Now you are saying that a true clean diet can only be sustainable via an organic vegan raw diet due to practical considerations should 'everyone' try to adopt that type of eating plan as well as quality control issues. Well, I agree with that line of though... but to it is a point that is tangential to what the OP was asking. Luckily, we live in a society where any one of us can adopt an omnivorous clean eating plan should they choose to do so.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You don't have to cut out foods you love to eat clean. You just eat versions of them that are not full of preservatives and additives.

This would depend on what you love. If you love Twinkies or Little Debbie Nutty Bars then, yeah, you're going to have to give those up to eat clean. Any "clean" alternative you could create for a Twinkie is not going to resemble a Twinkie.
  • Kristhin
    Options
    Well, its partially to what she was asking about because I've met so many people who believe they only purchase meat that is grown in a natural and kind way and I just know that that huge number of people who believe they eat that way can't possibly be eating only 2% of the meat. So it seems inevitable that they are believing they are eating something that isn't actually what they are eating.

But part of what I'm saying is definitely about sustainability, which isn't directly related to eating clean but I also feel that its something important to consider. We are currently growing enough food to feed 12-15 billion people, much more than enough for every person on the earth. Yet so many people go hungry every day and even die from that hunger because of the food being filtered through the animals.

So easy to go off on a tangent. :)
  • pkpzp228
    pkpzp228 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I suggest Jillian Michaels book Mastering you're metabolism. I was rather impressed by how easy her prose is to enjoy and whether you really want to to the "clean eating" extreme or not you'll find a ton of beneficial info on clean food sources, avoiding environmental toxins and working towards balancing hormonal regulation to increase your metabolism.
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options

You are likely going to be overwhelmed with the information and misinformation in the responses you'll get. Even if you Google it you'll get a lot of different information. This is because there are a lot of differing opinion on what "clean" means. But basically if you still to natural minimally processed or unprocessed foods you'll be on the right track. it's almost impossible in the modern world to cut out all processed foods, but when you eat a food just ask yourself "how close is this to it's natural state"?

This is good advice. Just as unprocessed as possible.