Going over calories....effects??

Options
I am always within range of my calories, including my exercise calories, i am usually under about 200....well yesterday was a HUGE exception....lets just say OVER by about 1000!!!! Yikes.....so does anyone know the effects of a day like that???? Will my efforts for the week be shot out of the water by one huge indulgence?

Replies

• carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I am always within range of my calories, including my exercise calories, i am usually under about 200....well yesterday was a HUGE exception....lets just say OVER by about 1000!!!! Yikes.....so does anyone know the effects of a day like that???? Will my efforts for the week be shot out of the water by one huge indulgence?
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    1. you should never be under your daily calories by 200, you're sabotageing yourself by doing that
    2. no, being WAY over for one day won't ruin everything. In fact it may even jump start your metabolism and help you to lose.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    You will never probably notice the difference of going over 1000 cal.

The way our goal calories are set up are for us to lose weight. And are actually less than what we need to live day to day. So even if you would happen to go over by lets say 500 calories every day you probably wouldn't gain any weight. YOu just wouldn't lose any weight.

Bottom line. going over 1000 calories one day is probably less harmful to your weight loss than consistantly going 200 calories under.
  • mililani
    Options
    i am with kerrylucko, in my experience there is nothing worse for losing weight than getting your body used to anything. once in a good while, when i hit a plateau, i'd overeat on purpose. i'd invite friends to a big brunch and eat way too much of everything nobody's ever supposed to eat.

i don't know if it's the guilt after the fact, the metabolism getting in gear again as kerry suggests, or something else, but i'd have a blip up for a day or two, and then would start seeing the weight move, finally, in the right direction.

marco
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I do that also. I will take a week and purposely over eat and it sure helps move me over the plateau
  • Sunibc22
    Options
    Every 2 weeks I give myself a cheat day. I eat everything and anything I want for that day only. I go waaaayyyy over my calories for that day. I haven't noticed it effect my weight loss in a negative way yet. And it keeps me sane!!!
  • monica5237
    Options
    I am soooooo glad to hear you guys say that cause I do that sometimes (going over that is) and i feel so guilty I stick so strick to my calories and I do lose I am coming out of that rutt right now so We will see what it has done to me:smile:

Don't worry about one day it will be good.

I Hope Olive Garden did not Kill me last sunday 1550 cal for one meal :explode: :explode: :explode: My favorite place:love: all i had was the chiken marsala sauce on the side ( yes i ate the whole bowl:blushing: ) one salad plate and 1 1/2 breadsticks
  • krystalmoore1986
    krystalmoore1986 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I am soooooo glad to hear you guys say that cause I do that sometimes (going over that is) and i feel so guilty I stick so strick to my calories and I do lose I am coming out of that rutt right now so We will see what it has done to me:smile:

Don't worry about one day it will be good.

I Hope Olive Garden did not Kill me last sunday 1550 cal for one meal :explode: :explode: :explode: My favorite place:love: all i had was the chiken marsala sauce on the side ( yes i ate the whole bowl:blushing: ) one salad plate and 1 1/2 breadsticks
    Oh my gosh i have been suffering the last few weeks they are doing the neverending pasta bowl with salad and b-sticks and when I go I usually have 2 bowls pasta, 4 breadsticks, and 1-2 salads with vinegar and oil. I havent went but darn I wish I could get them to stop playing the commercials.:sad:
  • carajo
    Options
    WOW, thanks to everyone!!!!! My cals. are 1300 without exercise, somedays i do like mad exercise, like 2 hour bike ride up the mountains near my house, on those days when i burn like 1200 cals. i don't eat all of them back, but usually close!!! I love this site, and everyone here is awesome so thanks for the great advice!!! :heart: Cara
  • BunnyHop
    BunnyHop Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this, I really ate a LOT today, and was feeling kind of guilty about it.

The thing is, I was just SO hungry! Argh. (Maybe it's PMS related, my appetite fluctuates depending on the time of the month.)

On the plus side, I got LOTS of fiber, LOL!!
  • carajo
    Options
    Thanks for posting this, I really ate a LOT today, and was feeling kind of guilty about it.

The thing is, I was just SO hungry! Argh. (Maybe it's PMS related, my appetite fluctuates depending on the time of the month.)

On the plus side, I got LOTS of fiber, LOL!!
    Ya me to!!! I ate a ton, but it was mostly "good" stuff!!
  • suzukigrl
    Options
    can i ask who kerry lucko is? that is weird. i go over my calories every few days or so. not on purpose but it does seem to make me lose. it does jumpstart your metabolism.
  • suzukigrl
    Options
    wow, you've lost 75 lbs? that is awesome. you don't have much to go.
  • mrsbuzz
    mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I have been going over on the weekends and usually going over everything is in the red. If eating not so good on the weekends, but I do pretty good on the weekdays....can I still lose weight?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Also, always remember that your goal calories (depending on where you set your weight loss goals) aren't your maintenance calories. If your deficit is set to a pound a week (500 calories a day) and you go "over" 500 calories, in reality you just ate your maintenance calories for a day.

Just sayin.:flowerforyou:
  • suzukigrl
    Options
    i think you can. even if you're on a strict diet like weightwatchers, they allow you flex points because they know some days you'll eat more than your target range. just eat well most days and as these other dieters are saying, a good cheat doesn't mean failure, it may just jumpstart the metabolism. i'm losing weight and i'm far from perfect. good luck.