So I've noticed...

Options
cdskates
cdskates Posts: 49 Member
A lot of people seem to complain and complain about things--their weight, the fact that they can't climb the stairs without turning red and gasping, etc... But so few work to achieve what they're lookin to. I mean, seriously? If you're gonna complain, why not turn around and do something about it? It's so easy to just stop eating the potato chips and watchin tv and going out to the garden, or even for a short stroll... If you're going to complain, why aren't you doing anything about it?

It just bothers me, you know? And then these people look at those of us who are saying "OMG! Jeans are fittin looser!" or "I dropped a size!" and call us "lucky". Well, maybe we are. But we're also working our BOOTIES off for it. Nothing worthwhile in this life is easy.

Of course I know that some people are working and they haven't seen results working yet--this isn't directed at you. This is directed at those who are complaining and NOT working at it.

It's gonna take effort. BUT, it's so WORTH it. Especially that first time you hear somebody say "whoa, you're lookin GREAT!"

Replies

• AmberLiscous
    AmberLiscous Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    totally agree with you....and when people notice that you are losing the weight they want to know your SECRET!!! LOL Ummmm hello eat right and exercise is what i tell them and then they are shocked to find out there is no magic pill :noway:
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    It's so easy to just stop eating the potato chips and watchin tv and going out to the garden, or even for a short stroll... If you're going to complain, why aren't you doing anything about it?

I agree, to a point. The only part I disagree with is that it's really NOT that easy to stop eating potato chips and watching tv! I mean, yes -- in terms of taking the action, it's easy. But changing habits it's incredibly difficult, and it takes a ton of motivation to be able to do it!
    Relearning to live an active, healthy life is like learning a new language, and being expected to only speak that language from now on. In the beginning, you might feel helpless--- feel like you can't do anything, keep reverting back to your native language because you're not sure how to say something, are uncomfortable with the new language, don't want to make a mistake or seem foolish.

But, of course, if you work at it and keep learning, it gets easier and easier until you're fluent in healthiness! Not to take the simile too far :)
  • bethm1210
    bethm1210 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Relearning to live an active, healthy life is like learning a new language, and being expected to only speak that language from now on. In the beginning, you might feel helpless--- feel like you can't do anything, keep reverting back to your native language because you're not sure how to say something, are uncomfortable with the new language, don't want to make a mistake or seem foolish.

But, of course, if you work at it and keep learning, it gets easier and easier until you're fluent in healthiness! Not to take the simile too far :)

Great analogy!
  • PattyCake123
    PattyCake123 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I think one of the most important things to achieve weight loss is a positive attitude, and that is what those people seem to be lacking. If you are going to gripe and gripe about something most of the time, at leas this is true for me, it keeps you from doing anything helpful for yourself. I was a griper, a complainer and a downer for 3 years. I'd complain to anyone close to me who'd listen. It took a recent picture of myself to realize that apparently all that complaining wasn't burning the calories (imagine that) and to realize if anything was going to change I needed to shut up and make the changes I kept talking about. Or at least make a better effort to make them. I know how hard it is to keep a positive outlook, being negative is so much easier, but it's done wonders for me, and I haven't been doing this for too long. If something isn't working, change what you're doing. Look for support among us MFPer's to help get you there. It'll be worth it.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I wallowed in my fatness for years before deciding to change my life. Some people just aren't ready to change, and until they hit the "OMG I am sick of being a tub o' lard" moment, they won't change. I had mine in December of 2010, but it got derailed by some family drama then back on again in April 2011. It is a daily struggle to make the best choices, but honestly, I feel better and stronger than I have in a decade. I just hold onto that feeling whenever I get demotivated and it pulls me right back.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I've taken to saying, "so what are you going to do about it?" It's quite funny when they just stop and stammer.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    I :heart: it when someone complains about complainers :laugh:

And for some people, it's not easy to put down the potato chips.
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I agree and the biggest thing I do to help combat all of that is to lead by example :)

I realize it takes will power and determination. My co-workers have watched me whittle down to almost half of what I was 2 years ago with healthy eating and a determination to make it to the gym 5 days a week.

When they start complaining about feeling run down, or fat, etc. an that nothing will ever change, I simply tell them "It's possible, I'm proof - but you have to be willing and able to make a change of lifestyle, not just a once in while effort".