What's a good free exercise???????????

Options
What's a good work out that's free and can do at home. Been doing walking around my neighbourhood but need 2 do more exercise????:smile:

Replies

• MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I bought exercise dvds.
  • dihardcheer86
    Options
    Check out Bob (from biggest loser) on facebook. i think he's got a blog that does different workouts every day--something new & free, just prop your computer up where you can do the work out :)
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Try the library. Mine has lots of fitness DVDs you can borrow.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    IF You have cable with ondemand the has exercise tv lots stuff there, netflix has stuff as well if you have that.
    and if you have a recordign method (dvr, tivo, vcr) some public stations as well as other have work out shows early mornings, if you are not up tape it.

and you tube has stuff on it
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I've gotten a large variety of DVD's from the library. I get to try them for free and turn them in for different ones this way without the commitment. Walking, running, bicycling, lifting weights at home are all free if you've got the equipment. If you need equipment for them you can check craigslist and often find things pretty reasonably. Also check your local thrift stores. I've seen bikes in great condition, exercise machines, dumbbells, exercise balls and bands and all kinds of workout clothes very inexpensively. You don't have to pay top dollar for brand new.
  • ChristinaRamos
    Options
    squats, lunges, crunches, leg lifts, jumping jacks, running in place, planks, stepping up and down on a step...
  • JigglyPig
    JigglyPig Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Plyometrics = GREAT cardio workout!
    Circuit training = GREAT cardio workout too!

Set up a nice little circuit for yourself. For 30 or 60 seconds do jumping jacks. For the next 30 or 60 seconds, do bicep curls. Next, do jumping rope (even without a real jump rope). Next do "burpees" or squat thrusts. Keep rotating around! Put on some loud, upbeat, fun music. You'll be sweating!

Jumping jacks
    Jumping rope
    Squats
    Lunges
    Dumbells - dead lifts, bicep curcls, tricep work, all kinds of things!
    "Skiing" in place
    Dancing in your living room
    Sit-ups
    Push-ups

Go to the library and borrow some fitness DVDs!

Go to exercisetv.tv and watch free workout videos!

If you have Time Warner Cable (and many other networks), there are exercise channels. It's wonderful!

Walking is a great FREE exercise too, but so is jogging! Rotate between running and walking. Make it into a HIIT workout if you want!
  • tproctor
    tproctor Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Try "Pushing Your Luck"!!! ;)
  • jgranger221
    Options
    You could also try running. I feel more winded after 20 minutes of running than an hour of walking (but I still do both!).
  • JigglyPig
    JigglyPig Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Run up and down your stairs a million times. I die when I do that exercise. It burns so many calories!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Lots of free video options - are you in the U.S.?

Exercise DVDs - your local library, Netflix (for rent or instant play), ExerciseTV.com (same channel on Comcast OnDemand cable) -Hulu.com has an exercise channel.
  • lisapickering
    Options
    Running/walking the stairs, jumping jacks, pushups, planks, dancing, tricep dips, squats, lunges, calf raises, leg lifts, stepups, supermans, bridge, mountain climbers. There are hundreds of things that you can do at home with no equipment.
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I really like to use the Leslie Sansone "Walk Away The Pounds" videos. She has all different ones from 1 mile to 5 miles. They can be done at home in front of your tv / dvd player / computer. I have Leslie's 1, 2 and 3 mile walks on dvd.

Don't know if you have Comcast cable or what cable provider you may have or if you have cable but on our system they have On Demand and there is a section for Fitness and Exercise and they have for free a whole bunch of different exercises with different instructors. On there is some of Leslie Sansone as well as Jillian Michaels and others......If you have cable, maybe you can check it out and see what it is all about.

Check the local library as they usually have exercise dvds that can be checked out as well......

Also, there is a site that you can look up (collagevideo dot com) that has different exercise videos and you can see a clip of the video, and that may help you decide later on which to buy or not buy if you choose to go out and buy some......

Hope this helps :smile:
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    C25K (Couch to 5K). Google it for more info. It's a free program that gradually gets any non-runner running at their own pace. It's set-up as a 9-week program, but you can repeat weeks until you feel ready to move onto the next one. I never enjoyed running previous to it, and now... I'm hooked. Three 5Ks this year (including a mountainside mud obstacle run), and two more in the hopper. I'm not fast, but i enjoy it.

I loved the NHS Choices podcasts (http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/couch-5K-running-plan.aspx) on my mp3 player. The gal has a great British accent -- and that would be sufficient for me to enjoy listening -- but she also provides tips and encouragement, along with the walk/run cues.
  • Mixmode
    Mixmode Posts: 332
    Options
    Your cable service should offer "On Demand" type services. I know Comcast & Verizon FIOS does.
  • mummakitty
    mummakitty Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you're gonna get lots of answers here for theis.. but straight off the top .. You canalways dance.. turn up the music & go! I like Salsa stuff & Celtic ( really fun if you try to do sorta Scottish Irish type hopping around!..lol) As well you can do all sorts of Calisthenics... you know- Pushups Situps,Planks ect ... just to start!
    Hmmm then do you have kids? Involve them ( they make great weights if they are still little ;) ) are you really tied to the house? or as you say walking .. can move on in to jogging..then running :)

As well if you like videos you can always go to your local library & borrow excercise videos..
    There ya go theres some ideas to start!
    Good luck!

Good luck!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Youtube has so much stuff. check it out.
  • rhodenizer
    rhodenizer Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The stairs in your house are a great exercise tool. Go up and down several times for a great workout. Just pretend you forgot something and run back up to get it. do this several times a day. Vacuuming, don't just push it around use it for lunges. Lunge into the outward sweep, pull back stand straight and repeat. Laundry, put the basket on the floor and do either deep knee bends every time you take out a piece to fold or do side bends to reach into the basket. Washing windows. Use both hands one at a time to do a circular motions to clean then, use the other hand and do a back and forth reach to wipe dry. This not only makes housework more enjoyable but you actually get the bending and stretching exercise, oh and don't forget to have on some great dance music to work by.
  • DebbiHE
    DebbiHE Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Jumping rope burns calories - even if you have an "imaginary" rope! Other exercises from PE days include jumping jacks, push ups, and sit ups. Walking (or running) up and down stairs is another good way to get exercise. For extra a little extra "oomph" try adding ankle weights (about $8-10) as you walk around home or the neighborhood.
  • GeekMomma42
    Options
    I use the library too. Ours has a good selection. Try Freecycle.org for a group in your area and post a wanted for exercise equipment/a bike/DVDs/VHS. Since a requirement of freecycle is that everything given away is free, it is a great way to score some free equipment and DVDs.