When do you find TIME to work out?

Options
The last few months my company switched our hours from 8-5 to 9-7.
By the time I get out of work, make dinner for me and hubby, let the dog out, clean up from dinner, shower, etc... the night's over.:huh:
I could work out in the extra morning hour, but I am sooo not a morning person. I usually end up going back to sleep for the extra hour.
What do you guys do???

Replies

• Flocker
    Options
    The last few months my company switched our hours from 8-5 to 9-7.
    By the time I get out of work, make dinner for me and hubby, let the dog out, clean up from dinner, shower, etc... the night's over.:huh:
    I could work out in the extra morning hour, but I am sooo not a morning person. I usually end up going back to sleep for the extra hour.
    What do you guys do???
  • areay
    areay Posts: 463
    Options
    I get up at 5 every morning. That's the only time I have free between work, grad. school, programs and keeping track of 300 girls!!!!:noway:
  • I'm a stay at home mom that gets up with the kids between 6-6:30. I babysit a little guy 5 days a week and when my dh gets home at 5:45pm (M-Th), I go to work for 6pm (weekends i work all day until 9), I get done at 9 and come home, change into my clothes and head to the treadmill. I hate mornings too, so I do what I gotta do!! :smile: Ya just kind of weasle it in there where you can!!

Heidi
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    promise yourself you will get up 5 days straight to exercise. If you arent very glad you did I will be surprised.

When I did this ( work from home now so can do anytime i want) I felt engergized for the day.

I have heard if you work out in the mornign it reves her metabolism for the entire day.

:flowerforyou:
  • Flocker
    Options
    Yeah, you're better than me. :drinker:
    I'll go ahead and say right now that there is almost NOTHING in this world that would make me get up at 5am.:yawn:
  • HollyAnnH
    HollyAnnH Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I work 7 to 3. My company pays for gym memberships at this FABULOUS gym right around the corner from the company. I leave my house at 5am to get to the gym by 5:40am. I workout for 45 minutes and then take a nice long cool shower (I sweat like a hog beast) and dress and get my face on. I am a morning person and I LOVE my new schedule. My hubby is an electrician, he got laid off last week and as of this week.....I can do this. I am so much happier now. It was rushed when I worked out on lunch and it was IMPOSSIBLE when I tried to do it after work. I have a hubby and 4 kids...if I don't get it in either before work or on lunch...it isn't going to happen.

You're gonna have to make yourself get up and go.....I promise you will get used to it and you will see the results!
  • Flocker
    Options
    promise yourself you will get up 5 days straight to exercise. If you arent very glad you did I will be surprised.

When I did this ( work from home now so can do anytime i want) I felt engergized for the day.

I have heard if you work out in the mornign it reves her metabolism for the entire day.

:flowerforyou:

I'll try this next week. If my co-workers comment on my sleepy/grumpy-ness, I'm totally blaming you, though.:laugh:
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I work from home once my son leaves for school at 8am I run 2 miles or do a work out video.

I used to go to the gym every monring for an hour until it closed down :cry: :sad:

once you get motivated and do it a few times you'll be glad you did
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym from 5:30 to 6:30 a few days a week. You should try it. The first week is tough and you'll be tired, but after that you will feel so great! You are more energized for the day - and you feel like you've accomplished SO MUCH before you even get to work. It's a great feeling! Give it a go!! :smile:
  • Flocker
    Options
    I work 7 to 3. My company pays for gym memberships at this FABULOUS gym right around the corner from the company. I leave my house at 5am to get to the gym by 5:40am. I workout for 45 minutes and then take a nice long cool shower (I sweat like a hog beast) and dress and get my face on. I am a morning person and I LOVE my new schedule. My hubby is an electrician, he got laid off last week and as of this week.....I can do this. I am so much happier now. It was rushed when I worked out on lunch and it was IMPOSSIBLE when I tried to do it after work. I have a hubby and 4 kids...if I don't get it in either before work or on lunch...it isn't going to happen.

You're gonna have to make yourself get up and go.....I promise you will get used to it and you will see the results!

Congrats on the quitting smoking!:flowerforyou:
    I wish I had your schedule! 3pm is a great time to work out.
  • Flocker
    Options
    SO many of you get up at 5 or 5:30. That is so crazy to me! :yawn:
    I luuuuuuurve my sleep. I think Hubby would kill me, too, if I woke him up that early!:grumble:
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Morning before my hubby leaves for work (have 3 kids so need someone home) around 6 till 7 I run. OR at night I run when he comes home, and sometimes mid morning I squeeze in a run with the jogging stroller and my 3 year old after the other two leave for school. I try to make time for it always, it is my stress reliever for the day...

Alisha
  • carak2000
    Options
    If you belong to a gym near your office, it will save you time if you use pack a bag and shower at the gym. I used to go to the gym near my apartment, come home to shower and then go to work. I saves me almost a full hour if I just shower at the gym and head out.

If waking up in the morning is not an option, do you get a lunch break? If it's an hour, maybe you can take a half-hour of it and walk around outside and eat the other half-hour.

Oh, also about working out in the morning - it starts out tough, but I promise you, if you get into a schedule you will start to depending on beginning your day that way. I graduated from college a year and a half ago, so I was always doing late nights and going to the gym at odd hours. I never pictured that when I graduated I would be one of those people who wakes up really early and exercises before work. But, I found that if I wanted to guarantee a workout for the day, that's what I would have to do since they keep me late at work a lot. Now, I feel like I have gotten into a groove that works really well with a morning workout and I can't make it through my day without my morning workout. Give it a try, and don't get discouraged right away if you're tired initially; you're body will adjust.

Good Luck!
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I am absolutely not a morning person either, so I squeeze in my exercising in the evening after dinner. If I'm really crushed for time, I jump on my mini stair stepper while I watch the 11 o'clock news (Or the Daily Show depending on the day of the week :wink: ). That way two things get done at once and I get to sleep well. I have the most energy around that time of day anyway. It works for me, but of course your schedule might be different so it just depends . . . I hope you got something useful out of this post!
  • HollyAnnH
    HollyAnnH Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the quitting smoking!:flowerforyou:
    I wish I had your schedule! 3pm is a great time to work out.
    [/quote]

Thanks! I am working on it.

Yeah 3pm would work if the kids weren't so busy. Football practice, ortho appts....it never ends. My hubby doesn't like me getting out of bed at 5am (he is SO not a morning person)....but like I tell him.....it won't hurt his feelings any when I am thinner! HA!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    SO many of you get up at 5 or 5:30. That is so crazy to me! :yawn:
    I luuuuuuurve my sleep.

I bring a lunch I can eat at my desk.
    I use my lunch hour to workout in the gym in the bottom of my building or go for a run downtown with my workout buddy.
    I get in 25 min cardio and 15 min weights/machines. I jump through the shower and high tail it back to work. I work out, usually at 2:30p. It's a great midday pick me up! Today I did a class at 12:30p so I'm eating at my desk as I type...

I tried the early morning thing. It lasted a week and a half, at best.

EDIT: Btw, I work out all five weekdays, Monday- Friday. I take my weekends off from exercise but I still try to do what I can, like I will quickly offer to push mow the yard, or drag my family outdoors for a walk. But there is no scheduled workout on weekends. This exercise routine, combined with keeping in check with my calories/eating, and I'm still on target losing about a pound a week. :bigsmile: It works great for my lifestyle, the exercise schedule I keep.
  • nopogal
    nopogal Posts: 162
    Options
    Yep, only time I can find is in the morning. I get up around 5:15 or 5:45, depending on the day. Sucks, but it is nice to have it over with and I usually end up feeling more awake than if i don't go. (This is coming from someone who HATES getting up early...seriously, it's a struggle every day).
  • Gator4RTR
    Gator4RTR Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    How about working out during your lunch break? I find that a great stress reliever during the day.
  • erinbabson
    Options
    I found out that our company will allow an hour and a half if you commit to working out at lunch. So, I do it then and have a much more productive afternoon!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I found out that our company will allow an hour and a half if you commit to working out at lunch. So, I do it then and have a much more productive afternoon!

:grumble: I'm very jealous!!!!!!!!!!