Eating exercise calories

Options
People have been telling me that since I don't have a lot of weight left to lose I should be eating my exercise calories back. Here is my question....how do I do I go about eating anywhere from 500-800 calories back...especially without going over my sodium? I know I can put more fruits and veggies in my diet but a lot of veggies are not high in calories. I also know I can stand to cut out more processed foods but sometimes that is really hard.

Ideas much appreciated!!

Replies

• Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    replying so I can see what others have to say, I've often thought of this question myself...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    natural nut butters, raw unsalted nuts and seeds, olive oil, avocado, eat higher fat versions of foods you already eat (milk, yogurt, salad dressing, etc.)
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I put this to work in my life because I was close to my goal weight and wasn't losing how I would like...

I WAS burning 500-1000 calories a day/Not eating my exercise calories back.

When you get close to your goal, you should start focusing on weight lifting, instead of ridiculously long and intense cardio sessions, they only eat your muscle as well as burn fat... when you get close to your goal it is important to have as much muscle as possible because this will make keeping your weight off, easier.

SO what you should be doing, and what I started doing that has worked wonders is this

I work out 30 minutes of cardio and 20-30 minutes of weights and then I eat all my exercise calories back. I have lost consistantly and I have built muscle which makes losing fat even easier.

When you work out for more than about an hour your body releases a chemical called cortisol?!?! (correct me if I am wrong) and what that does is stops your body from burning fat. So really its not good to work out more than an hour especially when you are getting close to your goal weight.

So my advice would be to burn less calories by switching some of your cardio to weight lifting and eat all your calories back earlier in the day. Plan ahead by eating more at breakfast lunch and snacks.

OHH and read the link in my signature labeled Why weight training is important... this lady is a trainer and really smart.
  • randilea
    randilea Posts: 140
    Options
    I put this to work in my life because I was close to my goal weight and wasn't losing how I would like...

When you get close to your goal, you should start focusing on weight lifting, instead of ridiculously long and intense cardio sessions, they only eat your muscle as well as burn fat... when you get close to your goal it is important to have as much muscle as possible because this will make keeping your weight off, easier.

SO what you should be doing, and what I started doing that has worked wonders is this

I work out 30 minutes of cardio and 20-30 minutes of weights and then I eat all my exercise calories back. I have lost consistantly and I have built muscle which makes losing fat even easier.

When you work out for more than about an hour your body releases a chemical called cortisol?!?! (correct me if I am wrong) and what that does is stops your body from burning fat. So really its not good to work out more than an hour especially when you are getting close to your goal weight.

So my advice would be to burn less calories by switching some of your cardio to weight lifting and eat all your calories back earlier in the day. Plan ahead by eating more at breakfast lunch and snacks.

OHH and read the link in my signature labeled Why weight training is important... this lady is a trainer and really smart.

Thank you so much for this info. I have recently added weights into my routine (doing Ripped in 30 by Jillian Michaels), but now you have me thinking that I am doing too much cardio. Do you think just a 30 minute walk on my lunch break and then my Jillian Michaels DVD should be enough? I like to run as well so maybe work that in a couple days of the week when I am not doing my DVD? Thanks for all your help!!
  • jkuhn71
    jkuhn71 Posts: 199
    Options

Great advice...and the article you link to in your signature is sooooo well written! Thanks for sharing!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options

Thank you so much for this info. I have recently added weights into my routine (doing Ripped in 30 by Jillian Michaels), but now you have me thinking that I am doing too much cardio. Do you think just a 30 minute walk on my lunch break and then my Jillian Michaels DVD should be enough? I like to run as well so maybe work that in a couple days of the week when I am not doing my DVD? Thanks for all your help!!

Oh yeah.. a hard powerwalk at lunch and a good solid run a couple times a week should be great! and then make sure to hit the weights hard! that should be a good start. I try to burn around 300 calories a day with my cardio (and then eat them back) and then I don't count my calories burned during weight lifting as it is hard to guestimate and I dont want to overeat my calories. Hopefully I am of help.