exercise

Options
Does it matter when you exercise as long as you exercise? What time of day do you recommend?

Replies

• patio1313
    patio1313 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Personally I think that as long as you get exercise in it should not matter when. I shoot for at LEAST 30 minutes each day...And it is usually after dinner in the evenings...Though I sometimes get some extra by taking a walk at lunchtime or going golfing or something. Just get active and make a goal for a certain amount of activity each day.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Experts say that if you exercise between 4-7pm it will help you sleep better (I find that to be true). I love taking classes at my gym at 6:30pm, so I'm more of a night time workout person except for weekends. :)

One trick I do on MFP is pre-log my workouts if I know for sure I'm going to class. That way I can better plan my calories all during the day. :)

Some people do love to workout first thing in the morning because they believe it sets their metabolism at a good level for the day.

No matter when you workout or for how long just remind yourself that you're doing it for you. MFP is set up to give you weekly and daily goals for workout times and calorie burn. :) Check it out!
  • acknan
    acknan Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I usually work out mid afternoon or early evening, anywhere from 3-8. I am a teacher so mornings are too early and I get out early, so I can workout when I get home. I usually do 1-2 hrs, so I need extra time. :)

As long as you do it though, it will help. Whatever meets your needs and schedule should be fine!
  • amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    You won't burn more calories if you exercise in a specific time frame. Whatever works best for you. If you are better at workouts in the morning and will get a better burn then you should do the mornings. If you are more awake and have more energy later in the evening then workout in the evening. It's all about your convenience!
  • TakuraHunt
    TakuraHunt Posts: 208
    Options
    Because of my schedule and having 2 kids at home its hard for me to find time after work to excercise some days. I have been spliting things up - I jog/walk in the afternoon on my lunch break, than do Zumba or circuits at home when the boys are sleep or eating there dinner
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Some research suggest that working out in the morning is best as it sets the tone for the day. Also, it is the time of day which you are least likely to be interupted. The best time is whenever it fits in your scheduel in my opinion. I workout at 8 or 8:30 pm and go to bed by 10 or so. Being an athlete growing up, I taught myself to fall asleep even directly after a good workout. It works for some, some others stayed wired for hours. The biggest thing is, even if you can't do your full workout, it's better to do half than nothing at all.