Quinoa

Options
meinco
meinco Posts: 62 Member
I had some of this at a restaurant and fell in love with it! I bought a box of Organic Traditional Ancient Harvest Quinoa but I have had zero success in cooking it.

I tried it in my microwave rice cooker because it said on the side of the box you could cook it. I did 2 cups water and 1 cup quinoa and it came out like an inedible block.

I tried cooking it on the stove using the same measurements and cooking it like rice...but it didn't swell up and was not soft and fluffy.

Any ideas? I live at about 8000ft above sea level so not sure if that makes a difference.

I was thinking of trying again tonight and using my homemade chicken stock instead of water to give it some more umph but am hesitant to try again since it hasn't come out right yet.

Replies

• ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    When I do mine I bring it to a boil uncovered and then let it simmer covered for 15 minutes. Then I fluff it with a fork and it comes out perfect. I also use the same ratios as you.
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I think you have to wash it like you would sushi rice?
  • Furrytreats
    Furrytreats Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Quinoa-and-Black-Beans/Detail.aspx

I've been making this recipe by the boatload once a week and taking it for lunches during the week, just eliminating the corn. I looooooove it.
  • Furrytreats
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Quinoa-and-Black-Beans/Detail.aspx

I've been making this recipe by the boatload once a week and taking it for lunches during the week, just eliminating the corn. I looooooove it.
  • Furrytreats
    Options
    Oh and I buy the pre-rinsed version.
  • tusher2011
    tusher2011 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Can I ask what Quinoa tastes like? And what do you eat with it? I just bought a box of it from Wegmans the other day.
  • Furrytreats
    Options
    I'm quite new to it, but it doesn't have much of a taste at all. It would be comparable to rice I would say. It takes on the other flavors you are cooking with it.
  • tobrocker
    tobrocker Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Ange, what if you soak it? I have some here but havent tried it yet. Let me know how it turns out for you. I might try to make it just to experiment.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I boil quinoa like pasta and just drain it in a colander, though I simmer it and don't blast it on high heat. No need to bother measuring that way.
  • meinco
    meinco Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Ange, what if you soak it? I have some here but havent tried it yet. Let me know how it turns out for you. I might try to make it just to experiment.

Going to try a recipe I found that calls for sauteing it first then adding the water/broth. If that doesn't work going to try the other suggestion of just boiling it like pasta. I will let you know! I want to eat it sooo bad! Going to make flank steak with mustard sauce, salad and quinoa!